Pula Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Pula

• JLBG's Profile Photo

The peninsulas around Pula

by JLBG Updated Sep 22, 2004

South of Pula (burrowed to the Tourist Office)

If you want to visit the peninsulas south and south-east to Pula, with the cities of Medulin, Premantura, Banjole, Pjescana Uvala and Pomer, it is better to be on your own, driving or cycling. The roads are good but often narrow. As there are so many peninsulas, it is sometimes difficult to figure out how they are connected. Of course, the map shows it but this drawing, taken from a leaflet issued by the Tourist office shows it even more clearly.

• Beaches

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

So how do you get around?

by Anita_Porec Updated Aug 29, 2002

My little Lancia

I was here for 1 month and I flew into Venice, rented a car and drove down to Porec myself. This was the best option for me since I needed a car and if you are gonna do this, than do the same as I did. The same car in Croatia will cost you much more and you will have a harder time getting it. You can also rent a motorcycle.

If you don't need a car, you can come here by bus and leave any time you want as well There is regular service from Porec to Rijeka, Zagreb, Kopar...and around. Rovinj is actually even more popular with bus connections, even to Belgrade, and is not too far away.

The closest rail station is Kanfanar, a small town almost halfway to Pula...but still very close. Another one is in Pula itself.

You can come by BOAT from Venice as well.

Anyhow, whatever you do...there are tons of cops driving around, especially at night, and the $$ you have to put out for speeding ....uf!
    And yes, don't be stupid (or be verrrry careful) if you get cought drinking and driving - bye, bye licence.

One more thing - in US and Canada, we tend to drive out to clubs, get hammered and than take a cab home and leave our cars wherever to wait for us until the next day. Don't do this here, the locals don't dare do something like this...so make sure you leave it or drive it home.

• maykal's Profile Photo

We arrived by train from...

by maykal Written Aug 26, 2002

We arrived by train from Ljubljana...ironically it was the hottest day, and not one we wanted to spend in a railway carriage, but still...that's luck, I suppose. From Ljubljana, you have to make sure you are in the right carriage, as at a junction, the carriages split, some heading to Rijeka, some to Trieste, and just one to Pula. Leaving, we took a boat to Venezia...the proper ferry wasn't running on the day we wanted to go, so we took one of the many excursion boats going there for one day, and it worked out cheaper and faster than the ferry...plus the company offered free transfers between accommodation and port. There are many travel agencies in the old city offering similar trips.
    Most of the hotels and the youth hostel are located a few kilometres south of the centre, so bus is the only sensible way of getting around. You can pick up good maps of the town at travel agencies and at the tourist office, which are fairly close to the station...handy if you've just arrived. Be warned that many of the streets marked on the map don't correspond with the streetnames in reality!

• Monique_T's Profile Photo

We got there by bus. I was 18...

by Monique_T Written Aug 25, 2002

We got there by bus. I was 18 at that time so didn't mind to sit for quite a long time as it was the cheapest way to get there.
    And what happened?...Our bus broke down. So we had to wait outside the bus, in the afternoon when it was so damn hot, till they came to repair our bus. And later we found out we were just a few miles away from the camping!!
    We didn't do many day trips as we spend most of the time at the beach. But a few times we travelled by bus what was a good thing to do.

• billus's Profile Photo

I have been warned to secure a...

by billus Written Aug 24, 2002

I have been warned to secure a Croatian visa in advance, and told variously that I don't need it, or get to get it on the bus for 30 kuna, or its free, for EU nationals. US passport? Who knows. 'Get it on the bus'.
    The bus traces the Istrian coastline and swings south past the airport, approacging the international border at Kaldanija. Regal Croatian banners ripple in the wind at the expensive new toll plaza. An immigration officer breezes through my passport and hands it back. Dobrodosli u Hrvatsku Welcome to Croatia Benvenuti in Croazia Willkommen in Kroatien.

• Skeptic-jr's Profile Photo

Parking places

by Skeptic-jr Written Aug 23, 2003

Usually there are free places next to the Amphitheater (Flavijevska Street). Charges: 7 kuna (~1 euro) per hour, paid in parking meters.

• Motorcycle

• lauriejeanne's Profile Photo

It's a bit out of the way...

by lauriejeanne Written Apr 17, 2003

I took the bus up from Opatija. It's a windy trip and I was happy to leave the driving to someone else and just enjoy the spectacular scenery out of the window!

• madla's Profile Photo

We entered Croatia by our own...

by madla Written Aug 24, 2002

We entered Croatia by our own car.
    We left the car in the port and continued by public boat going every two hours from the port to our island and back.

Instant Answers: Pula

Comments

Pula Transportation

Reviews and photos of Pula transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pula sightseeing.