The 3 nave baroque church is built over earlier christian structures, and dates from the 18th Century. The facade is a 19th century addition. The bell tower is reminiscent of the Campanile of San Marco, and with the church, dominates the old part of Rovinj.
Inside the church one can find the shrine of St Euphemia, allegedly martyred (broken on the wheel, gored by a wild boar etc) for refusal to make sacrifices to Ares in her hometown of Chalcedon. Later, the Roman Catholic Church concocted a miracle (an important one because it 'settled' a doctrinal difference on the supposed divinity and humanity of Jesus Christ) and lo and behold she became a saint (the better to fill the coffers of the church with the donations of the gullible).
A roman sarcophagus holds relics, and mural depict her martyrdom. As churches go, it is a nice one, but more for the location than particular distinction.
The Church of Our Mother of Mercy is the most beautiful of all churches in Rovinj, at least it is to me. The exact date of its construction is umknown, known is only the year of the construction in 1487. It was restored in 1584 by Scipione Benzon, who at that time was the Podesta of Rovinj. The church contains valuable carved wooden benches, made in the Late Baroque style. Countess Elisabetta Angelini-Califfi, known as "the mother of the poor", was buried in this church.
In front of the main entrance there is a loggia, very characteristic for the churches of Istria. It offers shelter or resting place to the faithfuls before the service.
Town Clock is located in the Fontana Square, which is the main square of Rovinj. It once represented the tower of the couth corner of the former ciry walls. The tower was built in the 17th century and extended several times later on. Its lower part used to be the prison for minor offenders. The Town Clock with its Venetian Lion, the symbol of Serenissima, dating back to the mid-19th century.
The City Palace is the seat of the city mayor and the city asministration. Once it was the Praetorian Palace, originally built in 1308 ut then subsequenrly restaurated. In its ground floor there used to be a prison while on the upper floor there was the City Council Hall, offices and city archive. The front of the palace was restored in 1850 and 1935 when the coats of arms were placed on the facade, representing Venetian and Rovinj families and the city.
Basilica of St. Euphemia. This is a building you should definitely go and see. Impressive facade and interior. Inside the basilica you'll find the sarcophagus that holds the remains of Saint Euphemia.
This cute fountain is a main meeting point, always crowded with the youngs since the early evening hours. It is situated on the Main Square of the town (Trg Maršala Tita), next to the town clock tower.
Rovinj Aquarium offers you the chance of seeing some of the marine animals which live in vicinity of that picturesque Mediterranean town.
The shores of the Istria Peninsula are mostly rocky and very often they shelve steeply to depths of about twenty meters.
The stony or rocky bottom is nearly always covered with a dense carpet of sea weeeds; there are deeper furrows and in some places many submarine caves.
Our attention will be drawn by pale snake-locks anemones and purple beadlet the shape of which is more alike the beautiful flowers than food trapping animals.
We shall be fascinated by the spider crabs, carrying on their backs various sponges, tube-worms, coloured sea-mats and a variety of sea-weeds a movable garden which serves as a perfect camouflage for the crabs. Large green, brown and red sea weeds form, over the hard sea bottom, proper submarine forests, crowded bye numerous creatures staring from microscopically small crustaceans and worms to beautiful snails, trasnparent shrimps, many-coloured starfish and sea urchins, and vividly patterned fishes bream, biennies and other which give life to this underwater scenery.
It is located in a Baroque palace that dates back to the 17th-18th centuries, and the museum was founded in 1954 by a group of local artists. They have temporary exhibits ongoing, but the main permanent exhibits are ethnographic items, archaeological pieces/stones, contemporary art works, and a coin collection. Plan around the lunch time since it is open 9-12 and 7-10, but in winter closes at 1PM. The unfortunate part while we were there is the museum was not even open at all, or for the season. The man let us view the first floor, but that was it, and kept
There are two harbors; the one to the north is larger and also gets more wind and weather. The St. Catherine harbor to the south and at Trg Marsala Tita, is a cove like and sheltered from weather elements to some degree.
This is the main street that traverses through the old town area that dates back to 8th century. The streets are very narrow and winding and there is no space lost. The Grisa can be taken from on top of the hill coming from St. Euphemia. That is the better way to see the downside. Along the way are some restaurants, many shops that mostly promote art work, and some other gift shops. There is a rather steep descent of maybe 300-400 feet from the church on top of the hill
This is located just inside the Balbi Arch gate, and is part of a number of very old buildings alongside each other. This was built in 1308 as a Praetorian palace, and has expanded many times, even part of it was a prison once. The upper floor is the big town hall room. The facade atrium was constructed in 185-60 time frame and the walls have Venetian and Rovinj crests adorning the front.
It is now a museum besides being an active administrative center; but we could find little that would call a museum. We were let in, but there were only offices going down the hallway.
This is one of what was seven town gates, with three remaining today, and was built in 1678-79. It used to be called Gate of the Old Fish Market, probably because that must have existed around it. It was the main entry to the town hall and Pretorian palace that dated back to 1308. The arch/gate has had numerous face lifts over the years. On the top is a lion statue on the inner sides a result of Venetians building this arch, and a head in Turkish on the outside. There also is the coat of arms of the Balbi family
This tower was constructed in 1651 but it took 26 years to complete the work. It is about 180 feet tall, and was to be designed to be like the St. Mark tower in Venice. The statue on top of of St. Euphemia. Be cautious before you think about climbing to the tower top. The stairs of about 220 steps are very narrow and old; like as in original as it looks to me. Entry to the tower is inside the church of the left side by the gift table, and cost $2
The church harks to the name of a little girl that was killed for her religious beliefs back in the 4th century, around when Diocletian was persecuting people of belief and those that get baptized. She was tortured and died at the mouths of lions in 304AD, but they did not eat her; a miracle?
She became a martyr and was cannonized a saint, when she was only 15 years old, and living near current day Istanbul-nee Constantinople back then. The strange history is that the sarcophagus was hidden from potential marauders, and then "lost" for centuries.
The mystery is that the coffin is said to have floated from Istanbul to Rovinj and up to water shoreline on July 13, 800, and it was a marble coffin at that. Well, because of that miracle, many come here to seek other miracles for themselves. The coffin is on display inside.
This church is Venetian Baroque style and got restoration in 1725-36, and another rework in 1883 of the facade. There had been an adjacent chapel of St. George from the 10th century. The length is about 1540 feet, and 90 feet width. The central nave is about 50 feet high, and the other two about 30 feet high.
The church of St Euphemia dominates the skyline of Rovinj.
The church originated in early christian times
It was rebuilt in 1736 with its facade added in the middle of the 20th century in Venetian-baroque style. The bell tower stands at sixty metres high with a copper statue of St Euphemia that turn as the wind changes.