Komiza Travel Guide

Komiza Things to Do

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    In the Blue Grotto

by Rusket Updated Aug 3, 2005

Komiza is the ideal starting point for a trip to the Blue Grotto. See my Bisevo page for more info and pictures.

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

• Avryle's Profile Photo
    Inside the Blue Grotto- pics don't do it justice

by Avryle Written Mar 16, 2005

Wow! I was told about a bazzilion times that I should go to the Blue Grotto but all I knew is that it was a cave and you had to take a boat to get to it. However, the boats will only run when the water is calm enough. One fine morning of my stay in Komiza, my cousin looked out the window and declared it a perfect day for my excursion. She phoned up the local tourist agency that books these things, rattled off a few sentences that included my name and "Modra Slilja" and shoved me out the door with a smile and wave.
    At the tourist office, I was given a ticket in exchange for some money (about 70KN) and I think I was instructed to meet a boat at 10:30 or 11am. At the indicated time, about 10 of us tourists loaded up and headed out to the cave.
    Something they failed to mention, or perhapse they did and I didn't understand, is that there is another charge of 20KN to get IN the cave. The initial 70KN is only to get TO the cave. We all boarded a small motorboat (the cave entrance is small) and headed inside.
    Wow! I nor any of the other tourist folks were expecting what we saw. Its pretty amazing and beautiful and photos do not do it justice.
    After our gawking and disappointment at not being able to swim around inside as the Lonely Planet guidebook seems to indicate, we left the cave to head over to the island of Bisevo for a swim. The water in the bay is nice and clear. Bring your suit and a pair of goggles to take advantage of it.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Komiza Restaurants

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo
    Konoba Bako, Komiza 2 more images

by marktynernyc Updated Dec 4, 2006

The setting is right on Komiza's harbor. Their seafood is known to be excellent quality judging by the dinner crowds. Be sure to make dinner reservations. I tried to go for lunch but by September they were only serving dinner. Get there early so as to watch evening settle over Komiza and be lulled by the waves at your feet. I had dinner here twice while in Komiza.

Favorite Dish: The octopus in red wine, the salted sardines, the scorpino and dorado. But the best dish i had was the spaghetti de frutti de mare - angel hair hair pasta with a variety of seafood. Simply prepared and tossed with fresh olive oil.

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo
    Bonaca, near Komiza, Vis 3 more images

by marktynernyc Updated Dec 1, 2006

My host had arranged a meal with Senko, a Slow Food member, in a cove located about an hour away from Komiza, by moped. After an hour and half hike I arrived only to discover Senko had taken his boat to Komiza's harbour because of rough seas. His next door neighbor also runs an Slow Food establishment - food that he and his wife produce and prepare. Situated on a rugged cove, with frothing sea - they opened their home to me, even though the season was over. The prust, the anchovies, the olives, the tomatoes, the wine, the bread, the spirits - all excellent. When leaving he pointed to a path that shortened my hike back to my moped to about 45 minutes. There also house and apartments to rent on this cove if you like.

Favorite Dish: Everything.

• ktorre's Profile Photo
    Proprietor Bepo Fiamengo

by ktorre Written Apr 8, 2005

KeKe is our every morning place for cappuccino and other coffee drinks and juices.

It's outdoor table are in the square on the harbor.

It has a bakery next door to grab a morning pastry and sit and watch life.

The young and lively staff are fun and professional.

The Owners Bepo & Seka Fiamengo take pride in their establishment and it shows.

Favorite Dish: Depending on the time of day.

Mornings coffee drinks and juices.

Afternoon aperitif's and soft drinks

Evening and Late Night - wine, beer or a cocktail.

Komiza Transportation

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Recognition!

by Rusket Written Aug 3, 2005

There is a ferry from Split to Vis twice a day. I guess there is a bus connection between Vis and Komiza, if not, taxi's are not very expensive.

The link below is to Jadrolinija, which used to have a monopoly. But I know that smaller companies are popping up. The catamaran on the picture, which is now called Mala Lara, traffics the islands. It used to cross the fjord from Stavanger to Jørpeland under the name Hidle in the 1990's. My son recognized it, and we could still see the old name through the new paint on the stern :-)

Another possibility is to go by one of the tour boats from Split or Hvar and simply get off at Komiza.

• Beaches

Komiza Favorites

• ktorre's Profile Photo
    Lutitza Beah

by ktorre Written Apr 8, 2005

Favorite thing: The wonderful beaches. They are mostly pebble beaches and therefore you don't have to contend with sand getting in everything.

The water is blue, clean and warm. As it is a sea waves are small.

The clarity of the water gives you a wonderful view of the flora and sea life.

Fondest memory: Laying on the beach with our legs in the water at 1:00am watching the stars.

• Hang Gliding
    • Kayaking
    • Fishing

Instant Answers: Komiza

Comments

Map of Komiza