to Cres by ferry
If you travel by car you need to take ferry to Cres and you can do so from those two places:
1. In Istria at east coast from Brestova village to Porozina which is Northern Cres, the ride will be only about 20 minutes or so. Be careful when driving on narrow roads there (in the North) as some familiar drivers will often overtake few cars in row. Eh! Laters driving is nicer and the roads are fine, wide and safe.
2. From island Krk at Valbiska village to Merag.
We always took it from Istria because when you go to Krk you have to pay the bridge and then also the ferry. Anyways it makes sense to take that option if you're comming from South ie Dalmatia.
Prices and schedule are one Jadrolinija web site, so head there for more information.
Note that it will be very crowded during summer months so it's worth to come early to queue up, but the ferries are large and can open two decks if necessary. Buy the tickets at kiosks at the village of departure before boarding.
- Budget Travel
- Road Trip
Click the map to enlarge. We...
Click the map to enlarge.
We took the ferry from the peninsula of Istra to Porozina. From there it's about an hour drive to Cres and another hour to Losinj. On our way back we took the ferry at Merag to the island of Krk; then, we drove via Rijeka to Italy.
Cres is composed of 36 islands, islets and reefs. The highest peaks of Cres are 650 m (Gorice) and 648 m (Sis), and of Losinj 588 m (Televrin) and 557 m (St. Nikola). A phenomenon of the archipelago is the island of Susak - a limestone reef covered with fine sand. It is a place where the lifestyle, dress, speech and agriculture haven't changed at all for the past 500 years.
Take the Jadrolinija ferry
The only way to access the island is by ferry. The Jadrolinija ferry services between Cres/Optija and Cres/Krk.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates