Museums & Galleries, Otok Krk
The Native Museum of Baška holds relics of a rich past, which have been diligently collected by the local people.
The museum was opened in 1970, and contains an ethnographic collection of the Baska area. It displays folk costume, old vessels and cooking equipment.
The ethnographic collection of Kosljun Franciscan Monastery presents some very interesting and rare exhibits, from original one-trunk boat and boat models to pottery, tools, "sopele" local wooden flute, atlases and some odd examples of animals born with two heads or one eye.
Dr. Zdenka Cermakova, a Czech psysician, in 1910 left her native Prague and became the local doctor in Baška. For decades she resolutely promoted Baška tourism, and altogether with her co-patriot Emil Geistlich (second from the right) she is considered to be one of the founders of the tourism in Baška.
Žrvanj - stone quern for grinding grain was an integral part of the former Krk household especially in the grain growing baška valley which was entirely cultivated. The fact that there were six large mills here in the first decades of the 20th century testifies to the grain-growing activities in this region.
The amphoras from the museum were found in the sea bed of Baška in 1968 and date from ancient times. They were used as containers and standard measures for liquid and grain and mainly olive oil and wine were transported in them.