Places to eat in Croatia

Most Viewed Restaurants in Croatia

• DAO's Profile Photo

RAGUSA 2: MAKES ME SICK TOO

by DAO Written Dec 2, 2012

The food was so bad here that I am starting to guess what happened to Ragusa 1. It had real potential. I cam across this restaurant when I noticed some tables in a narrow alleyway just north and up the stair from Stradum. It looked nice inside and out, the menu look great and the staff said that a free drink came with meals. Get in there. I then made the mistake of returning that night. My service was polite and my meal was ordered. So was my bottle of local wine. Neither was good. My starter, garlic mushrooms, were ok I guess. Just a bunch of garlic sauce poured over some mushrooms. That’s about the quality of the culinary skill. I then awaited the most expensive single dish they had – a mixed seafood dish. In the meantime 2 couples I had met on an excursion that day walked by and said hello. They mentioned they had eaten here the night before. I could tell they had not been impressed.

My seafood arrived and it actually didn’t look quite right. It was all deep fried. This left the fish and langoustines tasting tough and nasty. Even the mussels had been deep fried! Who deep fries mussels in the shell? I tried to eat what I could. I did through a few pieces to a homeless cat. He walked away from it. That’s just how bad it was. I also noticed a man showing up who seemed to scare the staff. The owner maybe?

I found my meal to be the most expensive I ate in Dubrovnik and the only one that was not absolutely delicious.

The next day I saw the people I had met again. The first thing they did was ask me how my meal was at Ragusa 2. When I explained they said similar things. They didn’t want to be impolite and I had already started dining before they could save me.

So please read this tip and avoid this restaurant! They have been in operation since 1929, but with the current offering, I don’t think they will be here much longer. There are some excellent restaurants in Dubrovnik. This is not one of them.

Favorite Dish:
    Even my beer was bad.

RAGUSA 2 - AVOID ! GARLIC MUSHROOMS
    • Business Travel

• Nokturno: Cheap Pizza in Zagreb

by sabsi Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nobody visited Zagreb before and not had at least one meal in Nokturno I think. We had two on our last visit, and had had several before on other Zagreb visits. The food is great here (not everything I had was perfect but most of it), and the prices are incredibly cheap. The most expensive pizza costs 30kn. We paid around 100 kn for a huge meal and several drinks for two.

In summer you can sit outside on a funny terrace construction (if you are lucky! it's really always busy here!)

Favorite Dish: In winter I loved the white wine and chicken risotto. In summer I felt more like pizza and I think the pizza with Prsut was the best of them. All washed down with a Martini Bianco with food.

Nokturno

• Lenuci: Mexican in Zagreb

by blint Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's not very Mexican looking at all which almost made me not enter, though now I'm very glad I did. They weren't playing mariachi music either, but that's probably a good thing (especially as they were playing Coldplay which I really like). The decor is generally modern and spacey.

There are a few other Mexicans to try in Zagreb if you want to seek out a more theme Mexican, but if you fancy trying this alternative you can find it near the train station opposite the park heading to the main square.

It has a great food and drink menu and give you complementary nachos and dips to start things off. There was also tabasco sauce on every table.

There are smoking and non smoking sections.

The menu is in Spanish with English and Hrvatski translations.

Favorite Dish: I remember loving my food soooooooooo much. I ordered the Mole which is a sauce made from bitter chocolate which was fantastic. To drink I had Mojitos!!!!! yum yum

I was even more delighted when I saw the bill. I couldn't believe such great food could be so cheap!

• YolandaC's Profile Photo

Dolac: Fresh, fresh, fresh!!

by YolandaC Written Nov 16, 2010

The Dolac Market is a wonderful way to spend a sunday morning. We started strolling through the flower stalls which were located on the lower level next to the square. On top of the stairs table after table are lined up filled to the brim with produce, cheese, bread, honey and handmade toys and lace. Around the edges it's possible to sit and savor a beer while watching the throngs of people shopping for the week.
    At the back is a staircase leading to the inside market which is primarily butchers and fish markets.
    Gather up a handful of grapes, some crunchy bread, homemade cheese and cevapcici from the restaurant on the south corner and head to Maksimir Park to idle the day away.

Favorite Dish: The cheese is soooo good!!

Flower vendors

• Ingeborga's Profile Photo

Konoba Tomic: The most authentic food in Croatia!

by Ingeborga Updated Sep 22, 2010

Situated on the island of Brac. This is one of the best places we ate in Croatia. The owners operate their own winery and can give you a very detailed tour. If you want, you can also make your own bottle of wine. We bought several bottles and many of our friends are demanding we order some more:)

Favorite Dish: Make sure you make reservations 48 hours before if you want to try one of the best Croatian dishes - meso ispod peke. It is perhaps the tastiest meat I had in the entire Europe. Other tasty dishes include zubatac, janjeće tripice, and of course, the homemade cheese.

• Beaches
    • Eco-Tourism

• ishNker's Profile Photo

Spaghetti Toni's: Expensive garlic bread!

by ishNker Updated Aug 16, 2010

This restaurant is tucked away in a little side street in the Old City. You sit outside at wooden tables. Nice atmosphere, great service, but expensive food!

Favorite Dish: We had garlic bread and 2 cokes for about 10 euros. Let me explain, the garlic bread was two small pieces of toast, buttered, and garlic placed on top and the cokes were about 250ml bottles. A nice snack, but only worth about $5 USD. When we asked for the check, the waiter said they took kunas only, which we didn't have. My husband had to go to 4 different places (all of which the cashiers rudely told him they didn't exchange euros) until he found the currency exchange. The lady at the exchange actually threw the kunas at him and didn't even bother to speak.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Everywhere: Squid today, squid tomorrow ....

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Aug 27, 2009

Fresh grilled squid (Lignje na zaru), golden and pink on the outside, tender white flesh and curly, little tentacles - five or six to a serve early in the season, four or five later when they were bigger - it was so delicious, we ate it at every opportunity - and there were plenty of those. This dish must be on just about every Croatian restaurant menu. Traditionally served with a side dish of braised Swiss chard and potatoes, it's at its absolute best when simply cooked and seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt.

You'll need to check to see if the squid has been cleaned or cooked whole - (this is not really for the squeamish) ie with the intestines and other organs still in place, not a good taste and I'd recommend they be removed before eating. You might also find the blade of cartilage still in the hood - it's easy enough to take it out.

It was always good, but the standout was in Hvar's Palaca Paladini - more expensive than most but soooo good and served in the courtyard of a Renaissance palace to boot - but it doesn't need to be served in a palace to be good - there were plenty of little places in squares and by harbours, and even a konoba on the top of a mountain (Vdova Gora on Brac), who served it really well.

Favorite Dish: You may not be able find such perfect little squid at home, but green vegetables and potato are universal and this recipe is as much a part of a Croatian holiday as the seafood it traditionally accompanies.

Quantities are a case of what you have - and how many you're cooking for

Ingredients:
    Swiss Chard (aka silver beet, mangold or perpetual spinach - green leafy part only, not the white stalks)
    Potatoes
    Garlic
    Olive oil
    Salt and pepper

Method:
    1. Remove the stalks and the central rib of the chard and any damaged leaves . Rinse well.
    2. Peel the potatoes, and cut them into medium sized pieces. Parboil in salted water until half-cooked.
    3. Add chard to the potatoes, and cook until both vegetables are soft.
    4. Whilst the potatoes and chard are cooking, peel the garlic and chop finely.
    5. Drain the vegetables well.
    6. Heat some olive oil in a pan gently and add garlic to it. Fry for a minute or two but be careful not to let it burn - it will be bitter if you do. Add the chard and potatoes to the oil and garlic.
    7. Cook the vegetables gently (you're braising, not frying) until any liquid given off by the chard has evaporated and the flavour of garlic and olive oil has permeated the chard and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
    8. You can break the potatoes up a bit with the back of a spoon if you like - this will make the dish creamier.

Simple and delicious.

Palaca Paladini Restaurants everywhere

• PowerJ's Profile Photo

Fantasia: Best in Pula

by PowerJ Written Aug 30, 2008

This restaurant was rated by Isteria-Gourmet as one of the best restaurants in Pula. It was very good food, reasonable and very nice ambiance and decor. While there are not a lot of great restaurants in Pula in my opinion, this one had the best food.

• ChrisAlexander's Profile Photo

take your pick: Dining out in Sibenik

by ChrisAlexander Written Aug 4, 2008

Although I found Sibenik relatively quiet in early June,its little restaurants and konoba/grill-style places are scattered through the old town for a pleasant evening eating out

Favorite Dish: Try any seafood as it will usually be freshly caught on the day.

• Bistro Barney: Friendly Owners, Fab Food

by RebX Written May 19, 2008

Cosmik and Maja have travelled the world (Vietnam, Uruguay to name a few) and now they are home to share a love of food with visitors that do not hesitate to step away from the ice cream and pizza waterfront joints that clutter Croatia's waterfront. Bistro Barney is a refreshing change in many ways the least of which is a terrific menu, made to order (so vegetarian always available) and a subtle, confortable decor that lets you know you are in Croatia but that there are other places in the world as well. English, Croatian and Italian languages spoken easily.

Favorite Dish: Any pasta or dessert made by Cosmik. Just enough spice in the sauce to give it that authentic zing.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Cafe AS, Rijeka

by SirRichard Written Jan 8, 2008

Rijeka is not exactly a city filled with restaurants. There are some, but not many. This cafe turned out to be a good alternative, for a beer or for a meal, and quite decently decorated in dark woods. Perfectly located in the very middle, near the main pedestrian street.

The terrace, As Cafe
    • Beer Tasting

Amfora Restaurant, Volosko

by SirRichard Written Jan 8, 2008

I came to this restaurant by chance. I had visited Opatija in the morning, on a daytrip from Rijeka. On my way back I decided to do the first part of the way walking along the coast from Opatija. So just after Volosko I came accross to this restaurant and it was time for lunch so I stopped here. It happened to be a nice seafood restaurant with a pleasant terrace, a little overpriced for local standards, but I was on the mood for an "hommage", so I ordered a splendid grilled fish and a risotto, with a bottle (I finished it!) of croatian white wine.

Volosko at the background

Ice Creams

by SirRichard Written Jan 8, 2008

While in Croatia, I was really amazed at the tons of ice creams you could find anywhere! Literally MOUNTAINS of delicious and tasty ice creams were waiting for you at any corner, with those amazing colours and textures.

Eating in ferries

by SirRichard Written Jan 8, 2008

Eating in ferries uses to be rather expensive if you are in a budget. As ferry trips may take 1-2 days, I always buy the essentials in the departure harbour (water, bred, sliced cheese, fruit, some chocolate...) and then maybe get some coffee or ocassional sandwich at the boat.

Going to the ferry with the shopping
    • Cruise

Diocletianus Terrace in Split

by SirRichard Updated Jan 8, 2008

This was a real discovery in Split. On the bus coming here a fellow traveller adviced me not to miss it when in Split and I really thank her this tip. Inside the Diocletianus palace, where all the tourist restaurants are, this place is a HIDDEN JEWEL. It is a very simple restaurant, that offers just 2-3 dishes at a very reasonable price, at a lovely terrace where with views (throuh the roman archs) to the harbour. An oasis of peace in the very heart of Split.
    Go early if you wanna seat at the terrace, there is only 5-6 tables.

Favorite Dish: Cheese apetizers, Cevapcici, french fries and a HUGE beer,

184 Reviews - 439 Photos
Umag Hotels
24 Reviews - 66 Photos

Instant Answers: Croatia

Comments

Croatia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Croatia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Croatia sightseeing.
Map of Croatia