Donji Miholjac is situated 50 km north-west from Osijek, close to the Hungarian border. You can reach it by roads from Osijek (via Valpovo), Nasice or Podravska Slatina.
There is no railroad to Donji Miholjac. There are bus connections to Nasice as well as to Valpovo and Osijek.
Visit "Stara Drava" (translated : Old drava) is old part of river Drava, and it is now place for fishing, enjoying nature, hiking and bird watching. You can sit for a drink and mybe for a meal. Here are some photos.
Flooded valleys of Drava next to Donji Miholjac are used for fish-ponds, the largest one has one thousand hectares. Since the water in the pond is fresh from Drava river fish is known to be of the best quality. Old meanders of Drava river are paradise for fishermen, with well known fish restaurant Stara Drava.
Since 1972 an intensive industrial development started with the start of exploitation of a large oil field Benicanci.
Nearby large hunting area Djurdjenica is mecca for hunters from various European countries. Hunting mansions Bucje and Boljara are centers for hunting tourism.
Soon after the liberation from the Ottoman rule in 18th Century area around Donji Miholjac was given to Baron Hilleprand von Prandau, who administered the area from his castle in Valpovo. In 1831 Baron Josip Ignac Hilleprand von Prandau died and his estate was divided into two among his two sons: Gustav got southern part with Valpovo as a center while Karlo got the northern part around Donji Miholjac. Both parts were of the same size.
Donji Miholjac had two castles built closeby. The older son of Baron Josip Ignac, Karlo, was only 24 when his father died so Maria Ana Countess Pejacevich (widow of Baron Josip Ignac), built him a castle in Donji Miholjac in 1818. It is a ground-storey house built in late-Baroque style.
After death of Karlo Donji Miholjac was again joined to Valpovo. Since Gustav was last male Hilleprand von Prandau, estate was divided again after his death in 1886. His elder daughter Marijana got Valpovo estate while Stefanija Hilleprand von Prandau got Donji Miholjac.
The castle is surrounded by a large landscape park that was laid out in the first half of the 19th Century on an area of 18 acres. Later it was enlarged to an area counting 35 acres and is still one of the largest parks surrounding castles in Croatia.
The park had a large landscape-style area, utilitarian gardens, three garden sculptures and a large glasshouse for tropical plants with a large fountain. A small veranda on the main façade had statues of Flora (Roman goddess of flowers and spring) and Pomona (Roman goddess of gardens and fruits).
Since 1961 the park surrounding the castle is listed as a monument of landscape architecture. The park has 110 different plant species of trees and shrubs.
Baron Karlo Hilleprand von Prandau was the best known of all Donji Miholjac owners. He was a well known figure in Vienna and in whole Austrian Monarchy in the first half of the 19th Century. He attended grammar school in Osijek and later studied law in Bratislava, but became famous as a musician and an art patron. The people of Vienna knew him from concerts under his nickname Künstler-Baron. In 1848 he composed the 'Croatian March', dedicated to Josip Jelacic, Ban of Croatia.
The last owner of Donji Miholjac was Stefanija’s son Count Ladislav Mailath, who had no children. He was close to Archduke Francis Ferdinand who used to often visit Donji Miholjac. He spent three months hunting here just before he was assasined in Sarajevo in 1914.
In 1923 Donji Miholjac castle was sold to brothers Filip and Adolf Schlezinger, owners of Podravina joint stock company. Since 1938 Dr. Filip Schlezinger became the only owner of the estate and lived in the castle until 1941, when all of his Jewish family left Donji Miholjac.
As all castles in Croatia, after the war Donji Miholjac was nationalized. Today the castle houses government and municipal offices.