Early Christian art left a valuable monument in the now destroyed church of St. Andrew from the 6th to 7th century, set on the way to Skrip. The apse is still preserved.
The parish church probably kept the unbroken tradition of the sacred place of the B.D. Maria Stomorena. It is remarkable for the late Renaissance polychrome altar, which presents Madonna with the Saints.
The Croats tried to settle in the harbor at the beginning of the 13th century. They restored the brotherhood of B.D.M. Stomorena (from Lat. Sancta Maria). This little church was probably there from an earlier date. In 1228 the seven families from Skrip renovated the little church of St. Maria, built three common graves and with it the permission of the Brac Prince Drazina summoned an assembly on the 18th of March in 1228. This can be read in the marble memorial-tablet affixed to the wall on the coast in front of the church, raised in 1928 by the Brothers of the Croatian Dragon. Pirates soon prevented the establishing of the settlement. The people moved to the fortified Skrip, while their dwellings built with dry walls, were gradually destroyed by the long centuries of silence.
Modern Splitska, developed only in the 16th century. Then the Brac noble family of Cerinic erected a fortified castle to resist the Turkish attacks. The little church of St. Mary was renovated. The place developed fairly quickly because Christofo da Canal, a Brac Prince, chose it for its seat
The small, gentle cove surrounded by the cultivated wood of coastal pine, set on the road from Supetar to Postira. It is partly exposed to the northern wind so that the houses are piled together on the sunny hillside exposing their picturesque fronts to the sun. The houses are gathered round the church and the forts. The Croats wanted to settle there as early as the 13th century but the pirates often forced them back to the hills.
The houses on the coast are of smooth, stone walls turned toward the coast. They seem somehow monumental in this quiet cove with the background of grey stone and evergreen marquis. The houses surrounded by high-walled yards appear like an unbroken chain of strongholds.