Traditional, Zagreb

Restaurant Korčula
  • dbrener's Profile Photo

Traditional: K Pivovari

by dbrener Written Jul 1, 2005

K Pivovari is one of the oldest restaurants in Zagreb, located on Zagreb's longest street Ilica, towards the west. As a part of Zagreb brewery, it has existed for more than a century. Offering traditional Zagreb food and great atmosphere, it's a pretty special place if you want to try some of Zagreb's traditions. Not traditionally decorated though, it looks pretty modern and a bit plain, but the terrace is great on a sunny day! And it's own parking lot is there, too (something that's hard to find with restaurants in the city centre).

Favorite Dish: Try soup in bread, that's something they pretty rarely have, but you don't get any more traditional than that.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

not available in the restaurant: Kotlovina

by croisbeauty Updated Mar 2, 2005

Kotlovina

This is strictly speciality of the town of Zagreb and its close surroundings, we call it "kotlovina" and the meaning of it cannot be translate in english.
    The best kotlovina can be offered on the occasional fairs in the outskirts of the town. The meat or the sausages have to be grilled on the easy fire quite a long time in order to gained the extremelly gourmandic taste.

• Rubelj Grill: LIVING UP STEREOTYPES

by sabsi Updated Jan 11, 2005

Cepacici ;-)

When we were small my school friends who had been to Yugoslavia on summer holidays wanted to eat nothing but Cevapcici all the time. We even made them ourselves back then (this was when you couldn't buy that frozen stuff in the supermarkets here).

So before I touched ex-Yugoslavian ground for the first time I decided I had to have Cevapcici before leaving the country. So some day at lunchtime I forced Nikša to have Cevapcici for lunch. We went to a grill fast food chain called Rubelj under Dolac Market.

It was very nice to live up the stereotype, I had tastier stuff before though. Oh well, Cevapcici are Bosnian, anyway ;)

Favorite Dish: Bosnian Cevapcici with Serbian Ajvar in Croatia ;)

• Burek: A TASTY SNACK

by sabsi Updated Jan 4, 2005

Zdenka stuffing her face - censored

Zdenka took me for lunch to a Burek shop, she claims that it was one of the best ones around. Apparently she was right as this place was really busy. There's no seating here but you can have your Burek standing up, you can also have it as take away.

Favorite Dish: "Burek" is a local snack. In Germany we eat the Turkish version "Börek". It's pastry filled with either minced meat or cheese and it's cheap, rather tasty and filling.

• Chez Nikša: THE BEST!

by sabsi Updated Dec 15, 2004

Chez Nik��a

I'm afraid this is not a restaurant but Nikša's kitchen I am talking about here. It doesn't only serve forced breakfasts and evening tea - it also prepares wonderful dinners and desserts.

Favorite Dish: I had my first "Blitva" (Swiss Chard) here - and probably my last, too ;-)

My favourites here were definitely the company and the garlic potatoes as well as the local cottage cheese/sour cream combination for breakfast.

• lasvegasexpat's Profile Photo

PURGER: Fabulous local dishes and great service

by lasvegasexpat Updated Nov 1, 2004

I can't say enough about PURGER located on Pertrinska in Zagreb. The food is fresh, plentiful and very well prepared. The service is the best in the city. Tomislav, Franjo (english speakers) are my regulars but any server fits the bill. I am generally in the place 3 times a week for lunch and always bring visitors to the city in for dinner.

Favorite Dish: The menu is very extensive so it's a tough choice to pick a favorite but here goes:
    Teleci Praški, Teleci Samaborski, Sarma, Grah and smoked meat and Telece Pecenje.
    Don't forget to add Sir Vrhnje and finish with Štrukli.

• Daja123's Profile Photo

"Zagorcu": Traditional in Zagreb

by Daja123 Updated Mar 25, 2004

Gostionica

Restaurant-gostionica Zagorcu is what might be termed typical for this region of Croatia. Expect simple and often quaint interiors, friendly service, a smaller price tag and a very hearty meal.

Favorite Dish: I suggest you to order some local dishes from Zagreb's region.
    Open 08:00 - 24:00. Closed Sunday.
    The price rates from 45-95kn.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Kaptolska Klet: Finally, some strukli!

by acemj Updated Mar 9, 2004

On my very last night in Zagreb, I finally tried some strukli at this place on Kaptol just across from the Cathedral. Boris met Niksa and I there and basically they watched me eat since they had already eaten. Fortunately, I'm not shy, and I had no problem downing some local specialties in this charming, place complete with threadbare furnishings and wood panelling throughout.

Favorite Dish: I had a local dish of sausages accompanied by cabbage and then I finally had my strukli. Both were good, if a little filling. Bring your appetite!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Try Tkalciceva: Not sure where to eat?

by acemj Updated Mar 6, 2004

If you're not sure where to eat and you're too shy to ask a local, head to Tkalciceva Street and, if nothing else, you'll find a great atmosphere. There are a bunch of great cafes and I can only imagine what the atmosphere would be like in warmer weather.

Chez Niksa: Friendly staff

by acemj Updated Mar 6, 2004

Ha, ha! Niksa lives about 300 meters from the hostel that I was staying in, so I went over in the morning in order to get an early start on the sightseeing tour and he made me a good breakfast which was highlighted by some great bread and a fig jam from Croatia. Yum.

• montezaro's Profile Photo

"Katedralis": Enjoy internationaloatian cuisine

by montezaro Written Feb 2, 2004

Restaurant Katedralis

This new reopened restaurant is situated right in the heart of the city, in between the Cathedral and Trg bana J. Jelacica.

Favorite Dish: The whole interior of the restaurant was newly renoved and it offers great ambient. In the hot Summer days or nights you can enjoy eating in the fresh ambient of the restaurant's terrace.
    The restaurant offers international, mostly Italian, and Croatian dishes of moderate price.

• IngaA's Profile Photo

"Kaptolska klet": Traditional croatian restaurant

by IngaA Written Jan 29, 2004

Kaptolska klet

The restaurant is situated in the very heart of the town, right opposite to the Cathedral and a foot form the main square.

Favorite Dish: - domace kobasice s zeljem i restanim krumpirom
    - zagrebacki odrezak
    - mjesano meso na zaru
    - grah sa suhim rebarcima
    - kuhano domace vino
    - "karlovacko" or "ozujsko" pivo (beer)

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Pod grickim topom: Up town under the Zagreb - Gric Cannon

by FRONA Written Jan 15, 2004

Pod grickim topom

Very nicely decorated small restaurant on Zagreb hill called Gric, situated just below the famous Zagreb Gric Cannon. Its quite small but has a beautiful view of the city sky line. I really like the interior decoration that is very much Croatia with a lot of Licitar (see my local customs tip) and nice service. The food is very nice, the prices ok.

• Business Travel

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Kaptolska klet: Local food, nice terrace, nice price

by FRONA Updated Nov 28, 2003

Entrance

Decorated in local stye, it is located exactly across the Zagreb Cathedral. Very nice terrace (protected us from rain last night, aint it so Martin_S family?). I like it that the waithers were dressed in national costumes and saometimes can act just a little dumb. Well, who could handle so many hight maintenance people :)) If I remember correctly, they also have evenings with live music. I believe that this restaurant predominantly Zagorje (north Croatia) style.

Favorite Dish: Cottage cheese with cream, local specialty. It was good caus it was freshly made! yes, I mean they had to milk the cow before they brought out the dish!

• Business Travel

• KristaB's Profile Photo

Dolac market: Breakfast a la ...

by KristaB Written Oct 31, 2003

Homemade products

Great breakfast: slice of freshly baked homemade corn bread plus some cottage cheese or dried & smoked cheese. One slice of that bread can feed two hungry people. And if you can?t finish it, pigeons on Jelacic square will be delighted to help you.
    Location: Dolac market lower level, right side (Mlijeko i mlijecni proizvodi = Milk and dairy products).

Instant Answers: Zagreb