Zagreb Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Zagreb

Climate in Zagreb

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 18, 2013

summer heat

Zagreb is place with four seasons and each one starts and ends following the calendar. Summer is the season when most tourists visiting the town and many of them are surprised with the heat in the city area which could rising up to around 40C. Such extreme heat could be expecting in between the second part of July and first part of August. Good news is, there is a lot of greenery and parks in the city center for escaping from such a heat. Make sure to have always a bottle of water with, under such weather conditions, or if not there are lots of shops or cafe bars available in the city center...

Zagreb under the snow

by croisbeauty Updated May 24, 2012

Do not drive your car when snowing in Zagreb, this is how it looks just a foot from the Main Square.
    When snowing in Zagreb it is a kinda of natural catasprophy, in that circumstances use the public transportation which is very well organized, or go by foot. Be carefull though, snow could be very slippery, in particularly if transformed to ice during nights.

Pauk - (spider)

by croisbeauty Written Dec 4, 2011

Pauk sluzba

Pauk (spider) is the worst enemy, a nightmare, its city service which motorized citizens of Zagreb hate the most. This service works 24 hours a day, from monday to sunday, they NEVER stop working, not even if holidays. Pauk is waiting for you if travelling to Zagreb by the car. Don't even think to park your car there where it is not allowed, the moment you go they will come in a minute and transfer your car to the city depo and it will cost you over 150 euros.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Flower coat of arms of the town

by croisbeauty Updated Sep 17, 2011

coat of arm of Zagreb

There are many parks in the city area, therefore Zagreb is considering as a green town. There are many flower arrangment all over the town, but do not try to pick up the flowers coz the citizens of Zagreb are very fond of it and you may be warned in unpleasent way not to do that.

• sinoda's Profile Photo

Nothing for hygiene fanatics

by sinoda Updated Apr 4, 2011

stop and surrender

Well, this is a rather delicate subject!
    We are talking about your nose, dear traveler. Once you decide to visit the zoo in Zagreb and should for any reason find the urgent need to see the WC, please consider this: You shouldn't be too picky, for the sanitary installations and maintenance aren't really what you might expect.

You'll find that out already while approaching the facilities when your nose is recommending the near bush for your small operation, because the odour isn't really from this world...

the pic is dated summer 79, my uncle and me in the depicted zoo

• Zoo

• THE CANNON

by sabsi Updated Jul 9, 2008

Noon!

When you hear a loud BANG at noon while walking around the city don't panic. It's only the cannon of Lotrscak Tower. For over 100 years it has been telling the people of Zagreb that it's noon.

I waited for the cannon at noon one day so that I can take a picture of the firing cannon. Because of the very loud noise I was too shocked to press the release button of my camera though. And so were the other two guys who were waiting with their cameras.

So all you can see on my 2nd picture is a little smoke. I thought for my next try I would need four hands - two to close my ears and two for the camera - but I succeeded eventually in 2007, as you can see on the 1st pic.

• Zagreb - Racism

by iwouldnevergozagreb Written Nov 19, 2007

If you are coloured, asian, black etc etc do not visit zagreb it is the most racist place i have visited in europe - on top of that the country is over priced and the night life is rubbish - you can go to a hip hop club listen to black music with black people on the TV Screens but everyone in there is white and only white people are allowed in the VIP area upstairs - it was blatantly told to us that we were not allowed upstairs because we were coloured - didnt matter how much money we offered

Cab drivers are lunatics - always pissed up

Strip clubs will rob your money

Over all the worst holiday ever wouldnt recomend even pissing on this country

• Business Travel

• poutza's Profile Photo

Serbo-Croatian language

by poutza Written Apr 15, 2007

When I asked for a travel guide of Croatia, I made the terrible blunder to mention this "language ". The man in the bookshop became very angry and rejected the term as a colonial Serbian invention , since the two languages are very different!
    I believe that he exagerated , but I took care not to mention this still delicate matter afterwards.

• poutza's Profile Photo

Parking time...

by poutza Written Apr 15, 2007

The parking in front of the National Theatre is a time-limited area. The tickets for various intervals are not at hand, so you have to ask the locals ( preferable in German ).
    When we came back within a 10 - 15 minutes delay, the fine was already there ! The payement must be done at the local post office, in cash or in some accepted CC ( and VISA Electron is NOT one of them !)

• antistar's Profile Photo

Very Safe

by antistar Written Nov 20, 2006

Zagreb is an extremely safe city, especially for its size. Even the train station is safe, and free of the usual dregs of society such places often attract. In fact I didn't see any of the typically dodgy looking people you usually find in big cities, even in the parks the benches were filled with couples relaxing, parents with their children, old friends chatting. Only once did I see a guy sleeping on one, and they were tucked away out of sight. I didn't see any drunks, beggars, madmen, hoodlums, or brawlers in two days. It's a world away from Frankfurt, a smaller city, where drunks in the city center sprawl across the street, beggars harrass you at the station, and madmen walk the street shouting at themselves, swearing at young mothers, and banging their fists against their heads. And Frankfurt is very safe.

• tomeek's Profile Photo

Zagreb is a VERY safe town!

by tomeek Updated Sep 29, 2006

As far as I know there are no special things to be aware of except the usual, be careful of pickpocketing, keep your belongings with you, don't leave your personal stuff unattended, the usual precautions. Otherwise is really safe, you can safely walk around even in the very late hours!

Like in other world cities, you will encounter lots of beggars in the streets, especially in downtown area and on the major street interchanges. Sometimes they look like gipsies, sometimes you can't really tell the difference from other people...usual sentence they will aproach you with is, "May I ask you something?"...sometimes even in english or in german, cos they have seen quite a lot of tourists here. Unless you wanna do something else, I suggest you ignore them and go your own way, cos they tent to be a real pain.

• Tasia's Profile Photo

Smell of freedom

by Tasia Written Mar 29, 2006

That was the most horrible travelling experience which i had throught teh all my life!
    I still can't believe that it happend to me!
    I decided to go for a weekend to Croatia, and as far as i know Belorussians don't need a visa if they have a voucher or a reservation from teh hotel.I got in the contry withought any problems.The most funny things started to appear in the evening, when 2 policemen came and took me like a criminal to the police station, i was shoked.They provide the wrong information to my friends and gave them the wrong address and phone number of that police station.I guess it was made in a purpose.They lied all the time!I was scarried.I sit togeather with criminals from 21.00 untill 1.30 withought detiled explanation, untill the translator came.This hours were like internity for me.
    After the translator came I had a convirsation, if i can name that in such a friendly way with policeman.I was told that next day they would jadge me in their court!!!!!I was shoked again!How?First they let me in ,and then just decide to make a joke on me!?!!!!I felt myself horrible, i got a noce bleeding and terrible headache!At 3.00 they brought me to the jail, i still can't believe and i spent there the rest of the night.
    In the morning we went to the court where i was informed that if i want to have a advocate i have to pay, and they said also that if i want to make a call it can be just to somebody inside of the country....When my friends try to call to the policestation all the time they got the wrong information about that "i am already free and so on..."After the court they brought me to the Ministry of iligal migration, and there i spent 2 hours or so, and man who talked to me speaked a really bad English...
    So my conclusions are:
    we are not free at all
    we can always become a victims of somebodies wish, or just coinsedently
    it damajed my mind alot
    i am afraid of further travelling
    and it have to pass some time before i will be friendly again to other nations

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Kula Lotršcak - Lotršcak Tower...

by croisbeauty Updated Jan 25, 2006

Kula Lotr��čak

Kula Lotršcak - Lotršcak Tower - each day at noon canon fires from here and that is tradition over the past 100 years. You may notice that people on the streets is checking their watches at that time.
    The canon noice is very loud, so do not be afraid or panic when hearing it.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

No swimming in the church

by Gili_S Written Nov 19, 2005

I was really disappointed here LOL
    On a hot summer day they do not allow you to swim in the church, or maybe not to wear swimsuit in the church? Or, is it just not wear shorts? Anyhow, forget about it.

• dbrener's Profile Photo

Massive traffic

by dbrener Written Jul 4, 2005

During the time when people go off work, try to avoid going around... In the morning, the way to the city is completely blocked, in the afternoon when people go home, all passages out of the city are blocked. Unfortunately, since the public transport is using the same roads, that means that it's blocked as well, so it's my suggestion that you either walk or try to avoid that time of day at all (mornings from 6.30-8.30, afternoon from 14-17).

Instant Answers: Zagreb

Comments

Zagreb Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Zagreb warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zagreb sightseeing.