Bellapais Restaurants

Working Cyprus style :p
    by Loubna

Most Recent Restaurants in Bellapais

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Kybele: by the small olive trees

by call_me_rhia Updated Dec 24, 2007

A simple but good lunch on a terrace right by the ruins of the Bellapais Abbey - with great sights to behold, and shade from tiny olive trees. very scenic, indeed. Super-friendly staff and classical background music.

Favorite Dish: We had a simple salad to start with, whie thinking what we were going to have next. The salad turned out sohuge that we decided against a main course. We had some delicious baklavas, though - some of the best we've ever eaten

my salad

• Bella Moon: Garden setting

by Midlander Updated Jun 27, 2007

Super home cooked food in a lovely setting. Family run with transport home provided. Beware, read the menu carefully as each main course comes with a 7 dish meze as well, so don't order a starter unless you are ravenous. Prices are as good (if not cheaper) than the larger establishments like Kyble or The Tree of Idleness.

Favorite Dish: Both my wife & I had the best lamb chops we have had. Thick, tasty, juicy & tender.

• Loubna's Profile Photo

The Abbey's restaurant

by Loubna Written Aug 16, 2005

The Abbey has its own restaurant, once we were there the notice still said opening on 1st March. It was the 3rd March! As we were walking around the Abbey we looked into the restaurant and realised why the delay, four people to do the job and only two working while the two others resting in the shade :p

The restaurant has one balcony which accommodates only one table. If you want it you have to book it well in advance/

Working Cyprus style :p

• Loubna's Profile Photo

The Abbey Bell Tower: Have lunch in one of the panoramic restaurants

by Loubna Written Aug 16, 2005

If you come to Bellapais try to make around lunch time. You can choose from three restaurants near the Abbey and take in the view of the valley, mountains and the Abbey.

The funniest thing about this restaurant is the music, any song you can think of has been transformed into church music :p

Favorite Dish: Mezze Turkish style....better be very hungry!

View of the restaurant from inside the Abbey

• easyoar's Profile Photo

The Tree of Idleness: The Tree of Idleness - where Durrell hung out

by easyoar Updated Feb 27, 2005

Lawrence Durrell used to live in Bellapais and used to sit around under a large shady tree with the other Cypriot menfolk watching the world go by. This shady tree was nicknamed the "Tree of Idleness" by the locals.

These days it is immortalised by a cafe/restaurant of the same name. Whether the tree outside (which you can see in my photo) is the same tree is hotly open to debate. So I'm guessing the cafe isn't authentic either!

Anyhow, it's a good place to get a drink as you leave the Abbey to walk up to see Lawrence Durrell's old house which is further up the hill.

I wasn't sure whether to make this a Must See or a Restaurant tip...

I should probably add here that 'hanging out' means a place where somebody tends to sit around. I wasn't trying to suggest Durrell was exposing himself...

Favorite Dish: Only grabbed a drink there, it's mre to say you have had a drink at the Tree of Idleness!

The Tree of Idleness (and the Cafe of same name)
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Bellapais

Comments

Bellapais Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bellapais restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bellapais sightseeing.