Fun things to do in Larnaca

Agios Lazaros Church
    by Twan
  • Hala Sultan Tekke / Hala Sultan Mosque in Larnaca
    Hala Sultan Tekke / Hala Sultan Mosque...
    by globetrott
  • Phinikoudes
    by Avieira67

Most Viewed Things to Do in Larnaca

The Municipal Museum of Peleontology

by greekcypriot Written Apr 25, 2010

The Municipal Museum of Paleontology opened to the public in November 1996 and is the first of its kind in Cyprus and indeed in the Middle East. It Contains a unique foreign and Cypriot collection of fossils from the earliest forms of life on Earth, some of which are over 500 million years old. This unique collection is the property of the Marine Life Foundation Tornarities-Pierides.

The Municipal Museum of Paleontology is a permanent fixture in Larnaca. The Foundation Committee will from time to time change and add to the collection. The Museum is located within the five stone-built colonial style Customs warehouses, which were built by the British in 1881/2 and forms the New Municipal Cultural Centre of Larnaca.

As the exhibits within the museum were once living organisms it offers a fascinating inside of how life evolved and become extinct on Earth. Extinct groups such as trilobites, ammonites, rudists and even remains of the pygmy hippopotamus and pygmy elephants which once lived on Cyprus, are represented in the Museum.

The Museum attracts many thousands of visitors a year and many of these are organized school groups including foreign schools visiting Cyprus.

%bThe Paleontology Museum in Larnaca
    • Archeology

HISTORICAL ARCHIVES MUSEUM IN LARNACA

by greekcypriot Written Apr 25, 2010

The municipal museum is housed in a 1881building, which was the residence and office of the first colonial Port Master of Larnaca. On the ground floor is the City museum with exhibits emphasizing the long, glorious and uninterrupted history of the town. A large collection of the city’s coins minted in the local mint starting with the first coin of the city Kingdom of Kition of the late 6th century and a fabulous collection of city photographs through the years dating from 1850, are among the most interesting exhibits. On the second floor are located the city’s archives, which are open only for researchers as they include rare books, editions and documents.
    Read more...

• Archeology

Going on a one-day ride to Aiya Napa

by shirez Updated Apr 22, 2004

Definietly it was the best day spent in Cyprus.. we rented some scooters and headed Aiya Napa...

In Aiya Napa I was offered a job on the street by some local people.. in the local discotech to dance.... are they craaaaazy??? how would I have so much fun with my colleagues then?
    And pls note: Im not a nasty tourist, as those seen in Ivans Madrid page.. I was wearing clothes in the city, not this bikini...

The Monastery of Agios Minas near Lefkara

by greekcypriot Written Apr 1, 2011

Very near the village of Lefkara, the 15th century convent of Agios Minas consists of a church cloisters and other monastic buildings.

I have visited it recently on my visit to the beautiful village of Kato Drys.
    The 18th century monastic buildings surround the church with cloisters to the west.

The church is the common mix of Byzantine and Gothic styles, with a pointed vault wth traverse ribs and side porticos.

Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/137ed3/1a5/4/#ixzz1IHQbgtLE

Agios Minas Convent The entrance of Agios Minas Monastery The Monastery of Agios Minas
    • Religious Travel

• shirez's Profile Photo

Oh my.. blondies getting high:-)

by shirez Updated Apr 22, 2004

... yes, Flo and I was getting really high on some stimulants...

After this little private-party all of us walked down to the sea.. boys were swimming a bit.. then made a little joke with some of us.. they threw us into the sea with our clothes on.. I wasnt drunk any more after this little swimming in my white dress.. some mobiles were made to swim... haha..
    Needless to say how much the hotel staff loved me.. when I tried to reach my room to change clothes.. my wet cloth leaving rivers on passages..

• shirez's Profile Photo

Why 'prison'? here is the answer..

by shirez Updated Feb 16, 2005

.. we arrived during the night.. so we just found out next day.. what we can do and what NOT..
    this hotel is perfect.. if you are a 90 year old couple as we call: 'tata' who comes to die quietly to this excellent place..
    Im sorry it sounds weird, but the hotel was full of old people, who complained all the time on us, and the staff of the hotel wanted to kick us out.. imagine kicking 80 solid guys who are just having fun, who are not breaking, hurting anything or anybody, but surely would come back to have some holiday.. well, we will never come back here.

The Mosque of Tekke by the Salt Lake

by greekcypriot Written Feb 27, 2013

Disappointing inside, but Picturesque Spot for a walk!

Tekke is of great importance to the Islamic world but nowadays it is an ordinary tekke. It has a great view to the Salt Lake and some history behind it.

I have walked around the mosque and went around it several times in the past but between us, the beauty is outside in the round area. I don’t find the mosque as a building particularly spectacular. It is carpeted inside as it is in every mosque and a place for prayer for Moslem but there is not much information or somebody to guide a visitor inside, and it is disappointing.

However, it is pleasant enough to walk up to the mosque which is next to the Salt Lake. I visited it in January with the flamingos in the Lake, but honestly any time of the year you come here is beautiful. The picture varies depending on the time and season. I have taken some amazing photos in the past when it was cloudy and the lights from the city were reflected in the water.

Of course a visit here gives the visitor the opportunity to get a glimpse into a different culture but to be honest the place is kind of let down.

Now the story behind it, is that the mosque was built in 648 AD, on the spot where Umm Haram died when she fell off her mule, during one of the first Arab raids on the island.
    According to tradition, she was related to the Prophet Mohammed.
    It is said that it is now one of the most important holy places of worship for Muslims, ranked immediately after Mecca, Median in Saudi Arabia and Al Aksha in Jerusalem. The mosque was first renovated in 1816. The last renovations were in 2002.

In any case I find it a very interesting spot to visit, however the visitor should have in mind that the beauty of it is what you see on the outside.

I highly recommend a visit here no matter what season or time you come, -the place is still beautiful.

The Mosque of Tekke in January The palm trees around the mosque by the Salt Lake Flamingoes just opposite the mosque The Mosque of Tekke by the Salt Lake in January From my stroll to the Mosque of Tekke
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Seniors

• planxty's Profile Photo

Far from the madding crowd.

by planxty Written Jul 10, 2007

OK, so you're 22 years old, on holiday in Larnaca, and you want to party the night away. No problem, there are plenty of places to do that. If however, like me, you are no longer 22 and could really do without dance music at ear-shattering decibels, this could well be the place for you, the Old Country Pub.

Much frequented by ex-pats (although there is a good local contingent as well), and home to the local it is a little oasis. It is deceptively large inside with a pool table, friendly English speaking staff (Carol is great) and, should you desire, a good selection of UK drinks, although I stick to the local Keo beer myself.

There are various TV's, the large screen normally showing sport and, oddly, the smaller TVs seem to be permanently tuned to either National Geographic or the Discovery Channel which people seem to watch avidly.

It is very much a pub as opposed to the pub / restaurants that are so common, and the only food is pizzas straight from the freezer, although bar nibbles are always on offer.

It is also one of the best value bars in town with a pint of Keo running at £C 1:40.

Old Country Pub, Larnaca, Cyprus.
    • Beer Tasting

A very fine selection.

by planxty Written Jul 11, 2007

I have spoken in other parts of my VT pages about the bakeries of Greece and Cyprus, which i simply love. From small village one man operations to large chains, the standard seems to be uniformly high. I suppose the market forces of competition ensure this.

We popped into this place for a snack one lunchtime, and I was absolutely staggered by the selection of breads, cakes pastries and my favourite, the savouries. Some things you might like to try are spanikopitta (a spinach snack in pastry), louganikopitta (Greek equvalent of the sausage roll and delicious) or tyropitta (cheese in pastry). there are various types of tyropitta including one made with a "fresh" cheese, which is sort of like cream cheese and almost sweet in it's taste, they are beautiful. All these are served piping hot at about 80 cents - £C1 each. Two of them would make a filling lunch, enough to tide you over until the inevitable evening blowout.

This particular bakery, Perseas, is in the area of Droxia (pronounced Drosha) on the way to Agios Georgios, but I saw several of the chain around town and can thoroughly recommend them.

Perseas Bakery, Droxia, Larnaca, Cyprus.

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Sunset in Larnaca

by freddie18 Updated Nov 7, 2008

It is an amazing experience to enjoy the view from the terrace of my Lysithea Hotel in Larnaca. The swimming pool at the centre of the hotel and the sunset that compliments the panoramic ocean views.

Better still, the sunset can be more romantic if you will catch and watch it at the seashore just across the street of Lysithea Hotel.

Sunset in Larnaca Cyprus Sunset in Larnaca Cyprus Sunset in Larnaca Cyprus Sunset in Larnaca Cyprus Sunset in Larnaca Cyprus
    • Beaches

Visit the Market.

by planxty Written Jul 12, 2007

Readers of my other tips on VT will know that I absolutely detest shopping - i think I said elsewhere I'd rather wrestle a grizzly bear. Perversely, however, I find myself drawn like a moth to a flame to markets. I like to visit them not to haggle for the odd bargain but, because I find them hugely interesting and usually very photogenic.

In fairness, Larnaca municipal Market is not one of the vest I've been to, but it's still worth a look round. There are all sorts of things here - some touristy souvenirs, clothes, shoes etc. If you are self-catering, there is a reasonable selection of fruit and veg, although the main market for these things has long since moved to a site out near the airport. It's not very large really, but you might like to pop in.

Larnaca Municipal Market, Cyprus.

Money changing.

by planxty Written Jul 12, 2007

There are numerous places in Larnaca changing money, but, in all the times I have been there,I have found this to be the best. As the photo shows it advertises no commission transactions, which normally means that the exchange rate is poor. This place, however, seems able to offer competitive rates. I always go here.

Money exchange, Larnaca, Cyprus.

• Cyprus Taste Tours - Larnaca

by typical_travellers Written May 4, 2011

This is a GREAT food tour and you will love it if you enjoy experiencing true culture and people as well as drinking and eating. Some friends of ours noted that Larnaca didn’t have much to do so when we booked our Cyprus holiday we stayed in Protaras. We had a hire car so we drove down to Larnaca for this food tour and it was fantastic! The food was delicious! The places were original! We met some great people! It is A LOT of food and well worth the money. Our friends missed out!

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Pool

by shirez Updated Apr 22, 2004

This is more funny picture than you would think.. these guys just arrived from the office (without swimmingpool of course) and just dropped theri suits and jumed into the water like little kids...
    how funny you are serious businessmen!!! hahah

Then partytimeeeeeee

by shirez Updated Apr 22, 2004

one of these guys is my boss...
    you can make a bet which one..
    can you hit who is the guy that I see 8 hours a day, 5 times a week?? he sits just opposite me.. if he would know now in this precious moment what Im saying about him... hehe:-))
    what can I do?? I was born to be wild;-))

Larnaca Hotels

Latest: Sep 28, 2009
Alkisti City Hotel
Latest: Nov 10, 2013

Instant Answers: Larnaca

Comments

Larnaca Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Larnaca locals.
Map of Larnaca