Larnaca Tourist Traps

• Tourist Traps
    by globetrott
  • THE WHOLE OF THIS AREA IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE
    THE WHOLE OF THIS AREA IS A GOOD...
    by greekcypriot
    Works even in the sea -Makenzi area
    by greekcypriot

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Larnaca

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Attention...Avoid Makenzi area till Spring!

by greekcypriot Written Feb 16, 2013
    Works under construction at the Makenzi area

Works are under construction throughout the beachfront road of the Makenzy area in Larnaca these days!

Tourists visiting Larnaca and have already booked at one of the hotels in this area, won’t be happy at all because there is lots of noise and much dust around.

In some places the road is dug that deep that it is hard to walk even on foot to cross it.

I want to believe that by the end of spring works will be finished.
    Of course the result will be amazing and the whole area will be highly upgraded.
    Till works finish…make your bookings in any other area in Larnaca.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Pay for your rental-car in advance

by globetrott Updated Nov 25, 2010

Pay for your rental-car in advance, AND print out all the "smallprint" as well and take it with you ! I had booked it through my travelagent and there it stated clearly that all damages would be included, also in case that the glasses or tyres are broken etc.
    The agent at the airport tried it anyway to tell me, that a CWD is included, BUT I would have to pay at least 300 euros myself in case of any damage. That is a good side-income for the rental-car-companies and everybody,who was waiting in the queue in front of me fell for it, because they were afraid of high extra costs..

Unique Suggestions: Another bad habbit of the rental-car-companies in Cyprus is the system: get a full tank at the beginning and return the car empty ! In my case I had to pay 44 euros extra for the full tank at the beginning and I finally returned them the car with a tank half full. ;.(((
    Unleaded Fuel was about 1.10 euros per litre and the tank was certainly not 40 litres in my tiny Kia.

Fun Alternatives: On the total I payed for a small KIA 174 euros per 7 days, all insurances included and unlimited milage. In addition I only payed the 44 euros for the fuel in the beginning. Returning the car was also no problem: I simply parked the car at their parking-area and gave the key back to the lady at the counter.

• Motorcycle

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

STAY AWAY FROM "ZAKOS" MAKENZI AREA

by greekcypriot Written Apr 10, 2010

THE WHOLE OF THIS AREA IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE

The Makenzi area is a very beautiful area especially popular for its Fish Tavernas. It is however an expensive area. Both Cypriots and foreigners like walking out there. There are one or two Pizza restaurants and a couple of good Taverns.

Stay away from Zakos Beach Restaurant.

We were brought here on our trip to Cyprus for lunch but it was a bit late (about 4.30pm)
    It was actually the coach driver's idea and he brought the whole coach out here to dine.
    We had been invited by a choir in Nicosia and we were 56 people in all. My Greek friends were leaving that evening for Athens and they had no alternative but stay where they were brought.
    I remember this bad experience now that I write out this and I get angry again!
    The people there were really unfriendly, they delayed in bringing the bad food my friends ordered.
    I realized what was going on as a Cypriot (my friends are Greeks) and I did not order anythig that day, however I was watching what was going on.
    The food was both expensive but awful as well. Almost everyone was disatisfied, and when the time to pay came they were shocked.
    Toilets filthy....it seems that they are cleaned once a day!
    The owner as well as the waiters were walking like robots, and would not respond to what we were telling them.
    The coach driver was almost served first...because he brought us there, he was sitting in a seperate table next to us, and he was enjoying his huge grilled fish, and salad, while almost everyone of the Greek people were complaining!

Unique Suggestions: The best alternative if you happen to be at Makenzi beach and want to eat is to try any other restaurant there, however have in mind that they are a bit expensive.
    You can try OASIS. This is much better and popular.

Fun Alternatives: If you are on a budget or have a big family and don't want to spend so much money, go back to Phinikoudes Beach front.
    There you can find many good Restaurants even Fast Food.
    Near the Castle area there are many Restaurants in line. These are much cheaper and they have big signs infront with the price of each menue. Try the Thai cuisine, or the Chinese too.
    I am sure you will be very satisfied there.

MORE TIPS WHEN EATING OUT
    Try to avoid ordering bottled wine. It costs a lot indeed.
    Ask for a carafe, and if you plan to buy Meze it is no need to ask Meze for 4 persons if you are 3 perons. It is always too much and because they bring over 13 small plates with different things, it is no need to have food left behind.

Another tip is to ask for Local Traditional cuisine.
    Ask for " Ofton kleftiko, or Afelia, Souvlakia (kebab) or Sheftalia.
    Try Tzatziki, or ask for a meze of OUZO.

• Wine Tasting

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the city beach

by call_me_rhia Updated Feb 3, 2008

larnaca beach... uninviting

People come to Larnaca to enjoy the famed Cyprus beaches, and this is the biggest tourist trap of all. The beach is there, but it is really not very inviting... nor very clean.

The seafront promenade is flanked by a long row of international cafe and restaurant chaing - whichever you want, it's there... TGIF, kentucky fried chicken, McDonalds, Pizza Hut... everything really.

The sad part is that people holidaying in Larnaca are quite happy with it.

Fun Alternatives: Move to a better and more secluded beach... there must be one, somewhere...

• planxty's Profile Photo

How hard can it be?

by planxty Written Jul 12, 2007
    Ve restaurant bar, Finikoudes, Larnaca, Cyprus.

All along the seafront of Larnaca there are bars, cafes and restaurants. I imagine the competition must be fairly stiff for business especially when it is not high season. I was somewhat surprised then at the standard of service in the Ve bar - it was absolutely appalling.

Having never been there before, I thought I would give it a go for a beer one lunchtime. As it was still early in the season, I was the only person sitting outside, and I could only see one person inside. It took about ten minutes for the waiter to even look outside and see me, so intent was he on talking to his mate at the bar. When he did turn up, I ordered my pint of beer and then waited again. And waited. It must have taken about another five minutes to arrive.

Trying to get the bill eventually was another operation - he just seemed hell-bent on ignoring me. If it is this bad when there are two people there, I dread to think what it must be like when it's busy. And, remarkably, it does get busy. It is more expensive than other places along the strip and it must play on it's "upmarket" status.

Personally, I'll not be back.

Unique Suggestions: You don't have to, Larnaca is full of decent bars / cafes.

Fun Alternatives: Just pick another cafe - there are plenty of them.

• MarkEdwardes's Profile Photo

Lefkara hard sell

by MarkEdwardes Written Jan 26, 2004

Lefkara is picturesque.

Cyprus is renowned for its hospitality, but beware of what you may think is friendly hospitality in Lefkara.
    Also, be wary of anyone trying to tell you that you can't drive any further and must park 'here'. This will almost certainly be outside where the hard sell starts.
    It is the hard sell!
    You may be offered refreshments, then when you are comfortable, out will come the lace or silver.
    Yes it is beautiful and skillfully made, but the hard sell ain't for me!
    For this reason I avoid Lefkara! (Pano and Kato.)

Unique Suggestions: Lefkara Lace is available all over the island, you do not need to go to the villages unless you wish to see it actually being made.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Larnaca Beach

by cheekymarieh Updated Sep 15, 2002

The quality of the sand is very poor. The sea is also full of seaweed. The vast majority of the beach along the promenade is arranged with sunbeds and umbrellas that are available for a fee (usually £1CYP per bed and the same per umbrella).

Instant Answers: Larnaca

Comments

Larnaca Tourist Traps

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Guide includes tips to help you avoid tourist traps and assure that you will have an enjoyable trip.