Places to eat in Limassol District

The glamorous interior!
    Interior of the restaurant

Most Viewed Restaurants in Limassol District

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

" I Oraia Hellas" Restaurant -Vouni: Traditional Cuisine, Amazing hosts!

by greekcypriot Updated Jul 14, 2012

I recently spent 2 days in the picturesque little village of Vouni which is nestled in the foothills of Troodos in the heart of the wine region. I came across ‘Oraia Hellas’ as I was going down the main road. I noticed the sign with the name of the restaurant. It was kind of artistic with blue and white colours and this drew my attention. I wanted so much to get inside. The sign was hanging outside the couple’s beautiful old two storey restored country house and the main entrance of the restaurant is from the side narrow road. The entrance door leads to a few steps that take you to an amazingly beautiful little garden. Fedra is Cypriot and Yianni is Greek so the combination of food here is a mixture of local and Cypriot Mediterranean cuisine. During weekends it is packed with tourists and locals and there are many who come from as far as Limassol to taste their cuisine.
    I advise that you make a booking if you plan coming to the restaurant on a weekday.

Everything I tasted was delicious and in affordable price. If you ask for the Greek meze or pikilia you will have the opportunity to taste several dishes. Wine is of excellent quality because the restaurant is in the wine region so Yianni has arranged for the best. Try Fedra’s (koupepia) staffed vine leaves, or Kolokytho-anthous which she makes and they are beyond compare! Don’t leave without asking for ‘Kleftiko’.

If it is summer guests can sit in the enclosed little garden which is full of colour with all sorts of flowers, bindweed and vine plants so beautifully decorated by Fedra who is also an artist. She makes bracelets and decorative little pieces of art with stone and wood and some of the pieces are at the restaurant for sale.

The interior of the restaurant is decorated with artistic talent and good taste. The couple is very warm and I found here the combination of Greek/Cypriot hospitality and when I told them that I am leaving the next morning they invited me over to have breakfast with them. I still remember these amazing breakfast moments we shared the three of us early that morning outside their little garden. How can I forget the morning mountain breeze mingled with the aroma of our hot grounded black coffee, the honey spread on the homemade bread, the smell of jasmine, wild roses and honeysuckle. I will always cherish this warm hospitality. I know I have two good friends out there and I long to return and see them again on a coming trip.

Working hours- summertime:
    Open on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays for lunch.
    Fridays and Saturdays is open for dinner.

• Eco-Tourism

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

TAKIS TAVERN: Traditional Cypriot Dishes- Excellent cuisine!

by greekcypriot Written Jul 12, 2012

Dinner at Takis Tavern includes exclusively excellent local cuisine.

I am visiting the picturesque village of Vouni which nestles in the foothills of the Troodos mountains and is a village in the heart of the wine region. Wine here is a guarantee of a good quality. I have dinner here the first night.

I highly recommend the ‘meze’ of Maroulla, -Taki’s wife and I have been in her kitchen and seen how she makes some of the dishes that I really liked the following day. The ‘meze’ includes 15 different plates in smaller portions and costs only 13 euros.

Now if you are curious to see what the meze includes …well start counting but there is a possibility that I will forget some.
    Salad, Tzatziki, mushrooms, lountza, a mixed omelette with veggies,halloumi, pitta, afelia, souvlaki (kebab), sausages, meat cooked in wine with coriander called –krasato-. The word comes from wine which means krasi in Greek.
    Meatballs, veggie balls, staffed vine leaves, pasta, ravioli, staffed zuccini blossoms.

Different other dishes – normal portions cost 13 euros.

A glass of wine here costs 2 euros and a bottle just 5 euros.
    Beer is at 2.60 euros and a bottle of water costs 1.75 euros.

The owners are lovely people (authentic Cypriot hospitality) and in times when Taki is in good mood, he even sings for his customers. I recommend that you make a call before going, and book a table. Usually during the weekends the restaurant is full both with locals and tourists as well.

The restaurant is normally closed on weekdays but if you plan going there do make a call and see. They might open it for you.

I highly recommend it and the dishes are nice recipes going from generation to generation. One or two things that I tried here reminded me of the best food of my grandmother.

• Eco-Tourism

Pantopoulion in Old Market: Old Market Square

by MrBill Updated Apr 4, 2011

I mean come on, look at these happy faces? We were full and had a great evening. And, it wasn't just the wine! See for yourself. Bon appetite.

Favorite Dish: Taverna open from 7 p.m. until 12.00 midnight
    Resaturant open from 11.00 a.m. until 3.30 p.m.
    Cafeteria open from 06.00 a.m. until 12.00 midnight

The Village Restaurant: Cypriot Cuisine

by greekcypriot Written Apr 2, 2011

“The Village Restaurant” in Platres is a very nice restaurant.
    I was amazed with the delicious cuisine of Agi and he was telling me that he is cooking everything by himself. Nobody else helps in the kitchen. He is very passionate with his cooking which he learned from his Mother he said.

One can find mostly Traditional Cypriot cuisine here and from what I found out from the little chat I had with other people, everyone likes it here. Prices are affordable and portions quite big.
    The Restaurant is very popular with not only locals, but also tourists who visit Platres. There are coaches that make a stop for lunch daily here. The view from the outside veranda is panoramic.

Mousaka costs 10 euro, Kalamari (squid) 8.50, Steak port chop 7.50, Koupepia –stuffed vine leaves 9 euro. A beer will cost you 2.50 euro and a carafe of wine 75ml costs 7.50 euro.
    I found the prices reasonable, and the quality the best, and this is the reason I recommend it.

• Beer Tasting

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Restaurant of Ambelikos Agor Hotel-Potamitissa: Tasty and Fresh!

by greekcypriot Written Mar 27, 2011

Ambelikos Hotel Restaurant boasts for its trout and I was out there the previous week (March 16th). I can assure that whatever I tasted was excellent giving it an A+.
    The manager of the hotel (Aki) has only fresh products and cooks everything with passion and love. He is talented I can admit and the guests who were at the hotel were extremely satisfied. Oh yes....and the excellent vegetable soup! It was great.

I spent 4 nights at the hotel and each night there was something else, each time a surprise. I tasted different dishes, and had nice red wine to accompany each meal.
    I noticed that many times some extra dishes were sent out to guests just to taste for free. Of course everyone loved them.

In the evening we used to sit by the fireplace and chat, and there was always a game of backgammon with Aki’s father with one of the guests.

I can only find positive comments to make for this restaurant and the great hospitality.
    I recommend it to people who want to have good quality food and enjoy the Cypriot red or white wine.

Favorite Dish: I loved everything!

• Photography

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Lofou Tavern: Authentic Cypriot Cuisine!

by greekcypriot Written Mar 25, 2011

If you come to Lofou Tavern you will see the whole family at work. The hosts are very hospitable and try their best to please even the most difficult tastes.
    Costa’s family gives you the real authentic Cypriot cuisine and the restaurant is not only very popular to tourists but locals as well who come here again and again.

I came to Lofou on Sunday noon for the first time, amazed to see so many people. Immediately I thought that people come here because they find quality food.
    The portions are huge, and all products are fresh, mostly from the family’s garden.

The inside décor has the pure authentic traditional style with many old photos from the family. The whole atmosphere takes you back to another era. It is so cozy sitting by the fireplace.
    The restaurant remains closed on Mondays, but it opens in the evenings if there are guests in the studios of the owner. (Agrovino).
    You can have Mousaka for 11 euro, Afelia and stew for 10 euro, Kleftiko for 11.50, and mezedes for two will cost you 17.70 euro. A karafe of wine 1 litre for 9 euro, and a bottle of beer for 3.50.
    Whatever I tasted I put an A+ and I strongly recommend this restaurant to people who want to taste the real Cypriot cuisine.
    I had read that Costa plays his bouzouki but had no chance to see him play this time.
    Probably because it was Monday evening….and the tavern is usually closed. There were a couple of other tourists around and while chatting over our dinner they told me that they find the cuisine here excellent as well.

• Seniors

Stephanos Oasis Restaurant: Lady's Mile

by MrBill Updated May 29, 2007

Some Cypriots will drive all the way to the seaside town of Zygi for fresh seafood on a Sunday afternoon. Lunch is a family affair and lasts all afternoon.

In Limassol, many residents feel that Old Lada's Seafood Taverna in the Old Town near the Old Harbor has the best fish. While others prefer La Mera's seafood restaurant on the sea front.

I have tried them all many times. For me the best kept secret for fresh fish and seafood is in a little wooden shack out at Lady's Mile just on the other side of the New Harbor.

Hardly any tourists go there, which is a bonus. The place is literally tacked together. Nothing fancy. They change the walls with the season. More room inside during the winter with a wood stove in the middle. More room outside during the summer with tables on the beach.
    The waves are within feet of where your sitting along with the seagulls that swoop in to eat bread crumbs thrown out for them. And the 'somewhat' tame pelican that eats the fish scraps from the restaurant.

More than a few children have turned tail and run when he gets up on his tip toes, spreads his wings and takes a chomp at your arm or fingers with his huge beak.

But it is the fresh fish and unpretenscious attitude that brings us back with friends and company from abroad time and again. They must have good connections and a good buyer that gets in to the fish market early to buy the freshest fish. You of course can choose your fish yourself from a large selection.

Fish in Cyprus, like fresh, wild fish - as opposed to farmed fish - is not cheap. It is expensive. Expect to pay up to CYP25-30 per kilo. That is about $30 per pound for our metric challenged American friends. However, unless you're going to eat fish fingers and tuna from the can all your life that is the price you pay for freshness and quality. Go on, treat yourself to some fine seafood. It is also good for you!

Favorite Dish: I would recommend the sea bass. It is always good and you will have less problems with the fishbones than a smaller fish. You might want to start with a cold beer on a hot day along with your starters like pita bread, tahini, olives and tsaksiki. Afterwards try a dry, white wine with your fish. The Cypriots make a nice, decent table wine. No need to go foreign. Even the Aphrodite white wine made by Keo, which is at the bottom end of the price range, is drinkable. No need to pay a fortune. Save it for the fish.

• Beer Tasting

Rio Bravo Saloon: a lil' south of the border, south of the 33rd

by MrBill Updated Jul 27, 2005

So maybe in your lexicon hot & spicey Mexican good does not go hand in hand with a beach vacation, but what about frozen margarhitas? ; - )

The Rio Bravo Saloon serves up some inexpensive food in generous proportions and has a casual cowboy type atmosphere for kicking back and enjoying a cirvéza under the circulating fans when it is blistering hot outside.

Actually, this is an evenings place. Get there around 19.00-20.00 to get a good table on the outdoor terrace. The locals will arrive around 8 p.m. and then it will be quite crowded.

Favorite Dish: I ordered all the usual Mexican fare. It was fair. Just a nice place for a change of pace after you get burnt out on mixed mezes and want to try some mesa food. You cannot go wrong with the frozen margarhitas in this place in any case.

• School Holidays

Pantopoulion in Old Market: Old Market Square

by MrBill Updated Jul 25, 2005

So, here they are, the band. Good guys. Good music. An enjoyable evening. They only play live music on Saturday evening. Reservations are recommended. I would plan to arrive there by about 8 p.m. to guarantee a good table. Enjoy.

Favorite Dish: Taverna open from 7 p.m. until 12.00 midnight
    Resaturant open from 11.00 a.m. until 3.30 p.m.
    Cafeteria open from 06.00 a.m. until 12.00 midnight

Pantopoulion in Old Market: the best mixed meze in Cyprus

by MrBill Updated Jul 25, 2005

Okay, be forewarned, everywhere you look in Cyprus you will be told, 'this is the best mixed meze in Cyprus' and even some of the guide books will steer you to the typical tourist trap type places that normally only cater to busloads of tourists that do not know better. The honest to goodness truth is that a lot of the mixed mezes are not fresh and not very good. Now, you have been warned.

One notable exception is the Old Market Square located in the Old Town. This is a warm & cozy restaurant in the wintertime and is cool & inviting in the summertime. It does serve the best mixed meze that I have had so far in over one year. If you order a mixed meze for three and there are four of you, I doubt whether you will be able to finish it? I am not just talking quantity naturally, but it is freshly prepared and very well done. When they say 15-dishes, they mean 15-different dishes and they don't count a small dish of olives or pickles as one of the dishes either like many places do.

Their salads are also very fresh and tasty, but above all else this is a carnivore's delight.

Favorite Dish: On Saturday nights, they have live acustic music. I am not a fan of most commonly played Greek music, especially if it played too loud. I like traditional Greek music, but it is a rarity here in Cyprus. However, these guys play a very good mix of songs and music and best of all you will recognize many of their songs. It is the right music for this restaurant and not a touristy gimmick.

They have an excellent selection of local wines. Maybe 200 different bottles to choose from? You can browse the selection along the walls and either choose a full bodied red, a dry, crisp white or a medium rosé to go with your meat and fish.

They are suggesting reservations on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. As this place is popular with the locals, I would say Saturday is a must, especially if you plan to arrive after 8 p.m.

Limassol District Hotels

Episkopi Hotels
1 Hotel
Akrotiri Hotels

Instant Answers: Limassol District

Comments

Limassol District Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Limassol District restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Limassol District sightseeing.
Map of Limassol District