Troodos Restaurants

• The Owner Niki and her daughter Christalla
    The Owner Niki and her daughter...

Most Recent Restaurants in Troodos

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Mylos Restaurant: Divine Tastes, Highly recommended!

by greekcypriot Written Apr 10, 2014

Avocado Vinaigrette (appetizer)

During my stay at the Mill hotel in Kakopetria I had the luck to try several dishes which I found exceptionally good at its restaurant called Mylos. It is indeed very popular throughout the island. See below my tips and the way I comment on the cuisine and service.

The Mylos restaurant prides for its succulent trout, but in all I found the cuisine exquisite and very interesting. Whatever I tried was superb and the portions are huge.

There are professional members of the family who are Chefs and cooks here and I asked to meet them to congratulate them for the excellent dishes I tried throughout my stay. This is how I found out about the people behind the restaurant. Besides the Mylo’s Special Trout that is beyond compare (€18.00) and I highly recommend, I tried the Grilled Prawns for €24.00, and the Pepper tender sirloin for €15.00. The latter was juicy and spice to the extent that was pleasing, and the Prawns were divine.

The Village Salad costs €13.00 -virgin olive oil is used and you could tell that it was freshly cut minutes before serving. I also tried and loved the Avocado Vinaigrette starter (€4.75) I found it refreshing. The smoked Salmon is a starter you should not miss (€6.50) It was amazingly tasty!
    There are Cold and Hot Starters like Prawn Cocktail, Grilled Lounza (4 pieces) Stuffed Red Peppers with Spicy Hot Feta Cheese, Cyprus Homemade Sausage, Grilled Mushrooms and several more ranking from €4.00 - €6.50.

Very popular are the Pork Filets with Commandaria and they cost €15.00. There are 7 different Steak dishes ranking from €14.00 and it is the Sirloin (cooked on the grill and is served with French fries or jacket potato) while the most expensive one is the T. Bone which costs €29.00. I cannot comment on this because I have not tried it but I am sure it is excellent like the rest of what I had.

Burgers rank between €5.50 with the Hamburger being the cheapest and both the Cheeseburger with Bacon & Chips and the Chicken Breast in Bund and Chips cost €7.25.
    The cheese platter costs €9.00.

BEVERAGE: The Local KEO beer small bottle costs €2.65 while the big one is at €3.50. The wine I really loved and accompanied my dishes with, was one of the excellent wines coming from the ‘Vlassides’ family winery. The owner can recommend the best that really matches with what you order …only ask for it. It is amazing how much the owners care for their guests so don’t be surprised to see them coming to your table and ask about the food or your stay.

Both Father and Son are a wealth of information on things to see and do in the area and no matter how busy they might be they will make the time to sit and chat making your stay a memorable experience. (As you can see, prices are reasonable).

TIP: There are special dishes for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Because the restaurant is always busy, it is advisable to make a reservation firstly to secure a better spot but also to assure that you will find a table.

• Seniors

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Mylos Restaurant: High quality ingredients -A Steady Value.

by greekcypriot Updated Mar 31, 2014

Our balcony and above the restaurant

We spent 6 nights at the Mill hotel but it was on B/B basis however we had the chance to step by and try the cuisine of the hotel out of curiosity because much fuss has been made for years about the trout served here. Our friends urged us to try it even for once.

I found it ok that time but it was a busy day and the waiters were running like mad from the kitchen to the tables. We were served with not much delay, but I observed that families with children were complaining because they were waiting long to be served.
    A group of 8 friends sitting next to us had to wait for more than an hour for their dishes and they started getting furious and wanted to leave.
    It is true that the starters are brought almost immediately after you sit but you have to wait long to be served especially during weekends.

The restaurant is on the third floor of the hotel and the view is stunning. (Our room was just below the restaurant).

I tried the trout with garlic, lemon and butter and it was fine….but I admit that I might have eaten a better one. Much fuss is made about this anyway and it seems as if the majority come here to taste this specific dish while there are numerous other dishes to choose from which are just as good, -probably better!
    My husband for instance had the fillet steak (big portion) served with a jacket potato and it was delicious. (I tried it myself to check) I can say that prices are reasonable and probably this is one of the reasons why the restaurant is so popular. I am sure the ingredients are of high quality and the management pays attention to detail….or at least this is its aim.

I was impressed with the restaurant’s wine list which was rich and the two glasses of wine I had were really nice -beyond my expectations but I cannot remember the name of the wine at this moment. The aroma was fantastic, and it was served in proper wine glasses and the temperature was as it should have been.

I highly recommend this restaurant, however be sure to reserve a table before coming here especially during weekends. During summertime you see many locals coming to the mountains where the climate is cooler and Kakopetria is not very far from Nicosia where especially during summer the days and even nights are really hot and humid. In winter on the other hand Kakopetria is popular with skiers and again the restaurant is fully booked during weekends.
    I long to be back!

I am visiting this hotel and restaurant these days and I found the service excellent this time, the dishes even better....I am creating a new tip when back home, but what I truly know is that I highly recommend it.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

"Tzellari" Argentinian-Cypriot Restaurant: “Cyprus-Argentinian meze, but Cypriot hospitality

by greekcypriot Updated Feb 17, 2014

The restaurant

We have had dinner here at Tzellari several years back while in Kakopetria.
    The owners are amazing hosts and we tried the Cypriot-Argentinian meze which I highly recommend.
    The word “Tzellari” means wine cellar and I guess once it must have been one such because it is still a bit dark inside. It was a beautiful afternoon though so we preferred to sit outdoors by the wood oven. The restaurant is in the old village of Kakopetria in the very narrow street (neighbourhood) that cannot be missed.

Fine wine is served along with Argentinian beer. I had some wine and my husband preferred the beer instead which was ok. Quite different from KEO the Cypriot beer!
    Prices are reasonable.

If you find yourself in Kakopetria visit Tziellari, you wont regret it.

The village of Kakopetria on the other hand is an interesting and worth to visit little village and surely not to be missed. It is ideal for year round holidays.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

"PEGASUS" Restaurant and Cafeteria: Traditonal Cuisine, Amazing Food & Hospitality

by greekcypriot Updated Apr 1, 2013

Pegasus Restaurant - Pano Platres

During my stay at the Semiramis Hotel I had visited for the first time “Pegasus” Restaurant and Café that belongs to Mrs. Niki Papatheodotou and who is the manager running it with the help of Christalla and the boys who seem to help with the amazing homemade dishes and service.

Here the Cypriot “meze” that means a variety of dishes costs 17 euro per person but you are brought more than 15 different dishes including coffee, dessert and fruit. They were exceptionally tasty but we could not eat everything because it was really too much! You can ask for separate dishes of course if you don’t prefer the meze but we were curious to try the different dishes. Mousaka and “Koupepia” –staffed vine leafs cost 10 and Stifado “Stew” costs 12, however all three dishes are accompanied by potatoes or rice plus Salad.

The grilled Trout I had the previous evening was beyond compare, sprinkled with oil and garlic and accompanied with potatoes and salad for 13 euros.

The carafe of wine (1 kilo) costs 10 euro and a glass of wine 3.
    Beer (Keo or Calsberg) the big bottle costs 3 euro and 2 the smaller one.

In the Cafeteria one can buy homemade Crepes (4.50) and Waffles (chocolate/strawberry or banana served with ice cream for 6 euro.
    I found both my dinner tasty and lunch the next day ok -some dishes are cooked the time of ordering, others not.

The restaurant is centrally located and you cannot miss it. Coming from Kato Platres to Pano Platres it is exactly at the big bend that takes you to the centre of Platres. It is nicely decorated in colours matching with the surroundings. I can’t wait to visit Platres again and surely I will drop by for lunch and dinner again. There is always a good reason to return here as it is one of my favourite destinations with much beauty around, just 39 Kms from Limassol and only 9 Kms from Troodos.
    I highly recommend Pegasus!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Ambelikos Hotel Restaurant: Don't Miss the Grilled Trout here!

by greekcypriot Written Apr 2, 2011

The grilled trout at Ambelikos Restaurant

If you are at the AgroHotel of Ambelikos in Potamitissa, try the grilled fresh trout.
    Red and white bottled wine is available here from the round region.

Ask the owner Mr. Akis and he will give you other alternatives if you are not fond of trout or kalamari.
    Prices are reasonable and the environment outstanding.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Tavern and Bar Agros Village: The ruddest manners ever!

by greekcypriot Updated Apr 2, 2011

Grilled Mushrooms at Agros restaurant

I was brought to this Tavern and Bar Restaurant in the village of Agros by a friend of mine. We came here from a nearby village since all the other taverns were closed.

The interior décor of the café-restaurant is nice and cozy, a pleasant atmosphere with a big selection of wines on one of the walls just behind where we were sitting. The TV set was a bit loud but we asked the man and turned the volume down.
    We did not want to eat much that evening, and we ordered a portion of grilled mushrooms for me, one portion of lamp chops for my friend, a green salad, and a bottle of red wine.

Everything fine up to the moment when the food is brought to us. I understood that it could not be such a huge portion for one person and I asked my friend how many portions of lamp chops had I ordered. He answered ….just one, so we ask the owner to tell us if the dish was for two or one person.
    He sounded so rude and got angry with us because since we were two he said he thought that we would want 2 portions. We reply that we just want one so he can take it back. He got furious, and in a very rude manner he tells us to eat as much as we wish and he will not count more than one portion.
    The whole atmosphere changed immediately and we got so upset. We did not want to sit a single minute out there, but we left as soon as we finished our dinner.
    Very rude …a churl! Don’t eat what you are brought if you are not sure what you are going to pay. This can surely be a trick. We paid 30 euros but we refused to have the extra lamp chops! I would recommend the restaurant only if all other restaurants are closed.

"The Village Restaurant": The Authentic Traditional Cypriot Cuisine

by greekcypriot Updated Apr 2, 2011

Agi the Manager and owner with VT flag at the bar

“The Village Restaurant” in Platres is a very nice restaurant.
    I was amazed with the delicious cuisine of Agi and he was telling me that he is cooking everything by himself. Nobody else helps in the kitchen. He is very passionate with his cooking which he learned from his Mother he said.

One can find mostly Traditional Cypriot cuisine here and from what I found out from the little chat I had with other people, everyone likes it here. Prices are affordable and portions quite big.
    The Restaurant is very popular with not only locals, but also tourists who visit Platres. There are coaches that make a stop for lunch daily here. The view from the outside veranda is panoramic.

Mousaka costs 10 euro, Kalamari (squid) 8.50, Steak port chop 7.50, Koupepia –stuffed vine leaves 9 euro. A beer will cost you 2.50 euro and a carafe of wine 75ml costs 7.50 euro.
    I found the prices reasonable, and the quality the best, and this is the reason I recommend it.

Names of Cypriot Traditional dishes-Glossary

by greekcypriot Updated Mar 31, 2011

Koupes

Glossary: It will help you with Cypriot Dishes:
    I thought to give you the name of some Cypriot dishes and explain what each one represents so that you know exactly what it is when you are at a Cypriot restaurant.
    You can of course photo copy and have it with you on the trip.

Afelia: it is pork cooked in red wine crushed coriander seeds
    Arni: it is lamb
    Avgolemono: egg and lemon soup
    Bourekia: small puff pastries with meat, or cheese and cream with a cheese filling.
    Daktyla: almong finger pastries
    Elioti: olive bread or pie
    Elies tsakistes: cracked green olives with coriander seeds, lemon and crushed garlic.
    Fangri: sea bream
    Fasolia: haricot beans cooked in a casserole
    Feta: salty white cheese usually crumbled on village salads.
    Flaounes: Cypriot Easter cakes made with cheese and spices
    Glyko: preserved fruits in syrup
    Halloumi: firm goats or ewes milk cheese, often served grilled.
    Hirino: pork
    Horiatiki salata: village salad of white cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, capers, olives, onion, etc.
    Houmous: dip from soaked, crushed chick peas
    Kalamari: squid
    Kapari: pickled caper
    Karaoli yahni: snails in tomato sauce
    Keftedes: meat balls
    Kleftiko ofto: lamb or goat wrapped in foil with herbs and baked in a sealed oven
    Kolokotes: pastries stuffed with red pumpkin, raisins and pourgouri
    Kotopoulo: chicken
    Koupepia or dolmades: stuffed vine leaves
    Koupes: cigar shaped wheat cases with meat filling
    Loukoumades: doughnuts in syrup
    Loukanika: Cyprus sausages
    Loukoumia: Wedding shortbread
    Lountza: smoked and marinated loin of pork
    Marida: whitebait
    Moungra: pickled cauliflower
    Moussakas: a pie made from layers of minced beef, spices and vegetables with cheese topping
    Octopodi krasato: octopus in red wine
    Pitta: flat envelope of unleavened bread
    Pourgouri pilafi: pilaf of cracked wheat
    Psari: fish
    Ravioli: pastry stuffed with halloumi and mint
    Rizi: wheat and lamb pilaf, served at weddings.
    Sheftalia: minced pork and herb rissole
    Souvla: large chunks of lamb cooked on a spit
    Souvlakia: kebabs
    Stifado: rich beef and onion stew
    Tahini: sesame seed paste, served as a dip
    Taramosalata: dip made from smoked cods roe
    Trahanas: soup from cracked wheat and yoghurt
    Tzantziki/or Talatouri: yoghurt, cucumber and mint dip
    Vodino: beef
    Yemista: baked stuffed vegetables with rice and minced beef
    Zalatina: brawn

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Fereos restaurant, Troodos: a family restaurant

by uglyscot Written Jul 10, 2005

The restaurant has homemade local dishes, the surroundings are rustic. We sat beside a roaring stove which was welcome as it had been raining and rather chilly outside.
    You felt you were one of the locals as there didn't seem to be many tourists, though there were buses outside.

When I didn't know what a dish was, I was taken into the kitchen and shown it. A great touch.
    Moussaka 4 Euro
    Stifado 5.50
    Lamb Kebab 5.50 Euro
    Cyprus salad 2.50 euro
    Diet sprite 1.00 Euro

Favorite Dish: The lamb kebabs were very good.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Troodos

Comments

Troodos Restaurants

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

In the Guide you will find many nice restaurants/taverns which members have already tried. Their reviews will help you choose the best. Be sure to try the Cypriot “meze”.

Have a look on the...