Paphos Restaurants

Poseidonas Restaurant
    Maria in her restaurant
    by greekcypriot
    The sitting area in the central square

Best Rated Restaurants in Paphos

• Tourtech's Profile Photo

Phideas Tavern: Local flavour at its best

by Tourtech Updated Jun 18, 2004

Dad Phideas and I at the Tavern.  Warm hospitality

OK, this is a place to be experienced once. Bring a Tea Towel, it is a tradition.

Phideas Tavern in Coral Bay is where the locals eat. It is not special, the food is good but not spectacular, the tables are plastic covered and the roof is covered in tea towels.

What makes this place special is the service and the Phideas himself.

By random luck, we read about this place on VT before going to Cyprus. So we bought a Tea Towel just in case. One night, when 22 of our family and friends got together to go eat, we decided to drop in without warning. My sister, brother in law and Niece were the first to arrive and they waited outside. Phideas came to the door and said, "come on in" they told him they were waiting for some others. and he asked "how many ? 20 - 25?" they anwered yes and he said "well come in anyways, it is cold outside! " It was 27 Deg Cel at the time.
    this started our adventure with Phideas. He set the tables, drinks came first, then food and lots of it. Different kinds, no menus, just different plates of everything. He even sorted out the vegetarians in our group.
    Without warning and without ignoring the rest of his customers, he fed the 22 in our group quickly and with his quirky style.

Like I said, not the best, but fun and well fed.

Look for the Canadian Tea towel near the fan, that is from us!

Favorite Dish: Phideas does not give out menus, it is wine, beer, and food.

Meze style, whatever his cook is making you are eating. A great adventure in food.

• anna-m's Profile Photo

Captain's View: meal with a view

by anna-m Written Jun 8, 2004

When you are in Paphos, this restaurant is a must. Not so much for the food- it is as good (or as bad) as anywhere else- but, as the name suggests, for the spectacular view to the sea. Sit on the large terrace and enjoy the cool sea breeze while being served by really friendly staff. A very relaxing experience!

Favorite Dish: They serve a good variety of desserts
    Yummy! :)

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

Any: Cyprus food glossary

by kayleigh06 Updated Apr 10, 2007

Afelia - pork cooked in red wine and crushed coriander seeds
    Arni - lamb
    Avgolemono soup - egg and lemon soup
    Bacaliaros - hake
    Barbouni - red mullet
    Baklava - fillo pastry with nuts and syrup
    Bourekia - small puff pastries with meat, cheese or cream cheese filling
    Daktyla - almond finger pastries
    Elioti - olive bread
    Elies tsakistes - cracked green olives with coriander seeds, lemon and crushed garlic
    Fangri - common sea bream
    Fasolia - haricot beans cooked in a casserole
    Feta - salty white cheese usually crumbled on village salads
    Flaounes - Cypriot Easter cakes made from cheese and spices
    Glyko - preserved fruits in syrup
    Halloumi - firm goats' or ewes' milk cheese, often served grilled
    Hirino - pork
    Hiromeri - marinated, smoked and pressed ham
    Horiatiki salata - village salad of white cabbage, tomato, cucumber, capers, olives, onion, feta and fresh coriander
    Houmous - dip from soaked, crushed chickpeas
    Kalamari - squid
    Kapari - pickled capers
    Karaoli yahni - snails in tomato sauce
    Keftedes - meat balls with mint
    Kleftiko ofto - lamb or goat wrapped in foil with herbs and baked in sealed oven
    Kolokotes - pastries stuffed with red pumpkin, raisins and pourgouri
    Kotopoulo - chicken
    Koupepia or dolmades - stuffed vine leaves
    Koupes - cigar shaped wheat cases with meat filling
    Lethrini - red bream
    Loukoumades - small doughnuts served in syrup
    Lountza - smoked and marinated loin of pork
    Louganika - Cyprus sausages
    Marida - whitebait
    Moungra - pickled cauliflower

Favorite Dish: Moussakas - a pie made from layers of minced beef, spices and vegetable with a cheese topping
    Octapodi krasato - octopus in red wine
    Pitta - flat envelope of unleavened bread
    Pourgouri pilafi - pilaf of cracked wheat
    Psari - fish
    Ravioli - pasta stuffed with halloumi and mint
    Resi - wheat and lamb pilaf, served at weddings
    Rizogalo - rice pudding served with sprinkled cinnamon
    Sargos - white bream
    Sheftalia - minced pork and herb rissole
    Souvla - large chunks of lamb cooked on a spit
    Souvlakia - kebabs
    Sparos - two-banded bream
    Stifado - rich beef and onion stew
    Tahini - sesame seed paste, served as a dip
    Taramosalata - dip made from smoked cod roe
    Tigania - omelette with courgettes, mushrooms or artichokes.
    Tonnos - bluefin tuna
    Trahanas- soup from cracked wheat and yogurt
    Tsipoura -- gilthead sea bream
    Ttavas - a stew cooked in an earthenware pot
    Tzantziki/talattouri - yoghurt, cucumber and mint dip
    Vlachos - grouper
    Vodino - beef
    Xiphios - swordfish
    Yemista - baked stuffed vegetables with rice and minced beef
    Zalatina - brawn

• anna-m's Profile Photo

Amore restaurant: All you can eat

by anna-m Written Jun 1, 2004

This is one of those "all you can eat" buffets which serves Italian food.The food is prepared on the spot, and you get to choose from a variety of different pastas and sauces, all that for a fixed price (drinks are not included)
    The reason I chose it is, to be honest, not because it is the best restaurant in Paphos, but because that is the place I was working at. I kept friends with the rest of the staff and general atmosphere was allways very pleasant- I hope our guests had enjoyed it too!!

Favorite Dish: Good old spagetti bolognese - nothing like it! :)

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Feta's Corner: Meze meze meze

by clouds111 Updated Oct 12, 2007

Feta's Corner is a treat in Paphos. In the older part of town Ktima, the restaurant is set in a sweet area with a couple of fountains surrounding it. The tables are all set out on the pavement, some of which are on the opposite side of the road the the kitchen, so can be funny watching the waiters going back and forth across the road with hands full of food. Despite being on a road there is a lovely atmosphere about the place and the service is efficient and attentive.

The best thing to go for here is the Meze as you get to try almost everything on the menu. I would reccommend skipping lunch and leaving extra room in the waistbands as the dishes keep coming and coming. Absolute delight.

Favorite Dish: Meze and the Stifado. Oh and the Halloumi is GORGEOUS!

• planxty's Profile Photo

Happy island.: The best stifado ever.

by planxty Updated Jun 14, 2012

I have to be fair and declare an interest here. My ex-girlfriend, her cousin and I were invited here as the owner was a friend of friends, as is often the way in Cyprus. We duly arrived for a bite of lunch which quickly turned into a three hour blowout. Such is the way things go on the island.

Being entirely dispassionate, this place is very, very good. The fact that my Cypriot friends in Paphos, given a huge choice of restaurants, eat here regularly bears witness to this.

It's difficult to say what my favourite Cypriot dish is, kleftiko and afelia rate up there but, if pushed I would have to plump for stifado. It is basically a spiced meat stew with lots of onions and, if done well, is absolutely superb. The stifado here, and it is a hard choice given the number of very good ones I've eaten, was proably the best I have ever had. It came as part of a meze, with salad, hummous, taramasalata, pitta bread etc. etc. and was beautifully done.

Happy Island offers all the local standards - fish, seafood, traditional Cypriot dishes, as well as pastas etc. - the menu is fairly extensive and driven, to a large extent, by what is good in the market. Ask Stelios about the day's specials.

The restaurant itself is pleasant, although not ostentatious and the service was attentive but not over-bearing.

There are some very good wines on offer, and a greek coffee to finish rounded off a superb meal.

I have eaten in a number of restuarants over the years in Paphos, and this still remains my favourite.

Favorite Dish: The stifado - see above for details.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• j_dyeruk's Profile Photo

Chloe's: The Most Amazing Chinese Restaurant in the world!

by j_dyeruk Written Aug 22, 2006

The front of the restaurant

My girlfriend and I decided to pay Chloe's a little visit after reading so many spectacular reviews on this site and may I say we were not dissapointed!

We were greeted with the extremely friendly manageress who spoke outstanding English and told us that we may not get a table for that night but she would keep our names and if we returned at 9pm, we may get squeezed in.

We went for a few drinks in the fantastic 'Votsalo' bar (read my review about that also!) and returned at the time given, we were greeted once again by a smile and she continued to tell us that we are extremely lucky as not only have we got a table but the best table in the house...and she wasnt kidding! We were on the top floor right at the window that overlooks the sea, apparently people book up to 3 months in advance for that very table and its not hard to see why!

I commented on how lovely the restaurant is and she asked if I would like a tour after the meal, which I agreed to. The meal was absolutely out of this world and the rose wine we had to accompany it went down a treat!

The manageress came back to take us on our tour which was unbelievable, there was an indoor garden with waterfall, 3 private rooms (which could be hired for about CYP30 a night!!), the wine cellar which had antique wines from over 200 years ago and the other 2 floors which were delicately decorated with floor to wall marble, authentic chinese decor and perfectly arranged tables. Never had I been so impressed with a restaurant's decor before!

All of the waitresses and waiters were dressed in Chinese robes which was a lovely touch on the evening. And to top off the tour, the manageress offered us a free drink!

By the end I was so mezmerised that I accidently gave a CYP23 tip (£26)!!! Had I received any less than I had at Chloes...I would have demanded it back!

Favorite Dish: Being vegetarians, we were surprised at how much was on offer for us! The satay king prawns were outstanding and well...everything was just out of this world!

Vienna cafe: The best desserts in Paphos

by anna-m Written Jun 8, 2004

Being a great lover of desserts, I tried them out in virtually each and one of numerous Paphides cafeterias, and I can solemnly swear that the Vienna desserts were by far the best!
    They also do food, drinks and coffees (and pretty well, too), but the desserts were unparallel!
    Vienna looks out to a rather busy street, which can be a drawback if you want to have your cappucino in peace, but a huge garden (with some more secluded corners) and highly professional srevice really make up for that.

Favorite Dish: It is so hard for me to choose, but if I had to, I'd say ANYTHING from their dessert stand

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Hondros: Greek Taverna

by clouds111 Updated Oct 12, 2007

A nice Cypriot typ taverna serving traditional local food at reasonable prices. There always seemed to be a crowd of people here so that's a good sign. The tables are set under a canapy of vines so it's quite a nice setting. The food is really tasty and service is good although waiters lack a few smiles.

Favorite Dish: Kleftiko

• cazz38's Profile Photo

THE PELICAN TAVERN.

by cazz38 Updated Sep 4, 2005

The pelican Tavern.

All the little ones that were with us couldn't believe their eyes when we stopped for lunch here.There was a real life pelican just walking around the restaurant,it made our meal even more enjoyable.The food here is really good and the staff our great.

• THE WINDMILL RESTAURANT: Don't miss the lemon pancake and Special coffe

by kitty. Written Mar 18, 2008

FOR EATING YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE WINDMILL RESTAURANT IS ONLY A FEW METERS AWAY FROM SAINT ANTONIOS BAR STREET OPPOSITE THE ANGLICAN CHURCH. THEY HAVE SET MENUS WITH 3 COURSE DINNER FOR A VERY GOOD PRICE. THE FOOD IS LOVELY AND THE OWNER IS SO FRIENDLY.RESTAURANT WAS RECOMMEND BY SUNDAY TIMES AND SKY T.V. THEIR MEZE IS EXCELLENT BUT COULDN'T FINISH IT THEY WERE SO MANY THINGS TO EAT. THE FOOD IS PERFECT. WE ALSO HAD PEPPER STEAK FOR ONLY 11 EUROS AND SET MEAL 3 COURSES FOR 14.50 EUROS.
    DON'T MISS THEIR LEMON PANCAKE BACLAVA CREAM CARAMEL AND THE SPECIAL COFFEE THAT THE OWNER SERVES ON YOUR TABLE.
    TO CONTACT THEM CALL 00357 26 933518

Favorite Dish: PEPPER STEAK AND CHICKEN PIKATINA WERE MY FAVORITE DISHES. CHICKEN PIKATIN IS FRIES CHICKEN IN A TOMATO SAUSE AND CHEESE ON TOP. ALL SERVED WITH FRESH VEGIES OF THE DAY, RICE AND ROAST POTATOES.
    REALLY TASTY.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• cappielow1's Profile Photo

Michaels: Great Meze

by cappielow1 Written Apr 25, 2007

Michaels is a Cypriot owned and family run restaurant. Michael does the cooking and his wife and sons wait on the tables. Thay are all friendly and have time for a chat or passing word no matter how busy they are.
    This is a great restaurant who advertise "the best Meze in Cyprus", but don't they all!, this however must come close.
    Michaels is set in a quiet area just off Poseidonous Avenue and prices are about average.

Favorite Dish: Meat Meze

• Angelika Cafe Restaurant: Enjoy traditional Cypriot, Greek music and dance.

by ktismata Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant benefits from the coolness of the trees that surround it and the great sea - view that lie beneath adn the breath taking sunsets.

Favorite Dish: Cyprus Meze
    Apart from the Greek and Cypriot choices you have on the menu you can also enjoy a variety of European dishes

• Palm Grove: The best in Coral Bay

by eggbilly Updated Apr 4, 2011

Set in a corner position, we missed this place the first three times we went out, but once we tried it, we had to go back again.

The waiters are extremely attentive and the food is the best we had during our two weeks.

Mousakka is by far the tastiest we had and the wine was good too. Prices were average.

Eating out in general (6 of us, but the baby always had chips) was not too pricey I guess - our average bill was ý54 cyprus pounds of course, including a couple of rounds of drinks.

Favorite Dish: Mousakka
    Kleftiko
    Stiffado

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

Viva Cyprus: Set menus for CYP6.95

by kayleigh06 Updated Apr 10, 2007

The food here was lovely! On our first night here we headed for this place, and we thought that after eating here nowhere could beat the food!

On the set menu's you could get a 3 course meal, and you just choose what you want, and then you pay CYP6.95 for all 3 meals!

Favorite Dish: I had a Lamb Kleftiko, and bearing in mind (if you're lucky) whenever you have a lamb dish its usually a couple of small lamb chops which is usually mostly bone, well... here its a mountain of Lamb! And the plates were massive aswell!

Instant Answers: Paphos

Comments

Paphos Restaurants

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Harbour: Several of the restaurants here because it is the touristy area! Choose your delicious meal from a range of local and internationally themed restaurants in a beautiful setting...