Sights, Prague

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

The soul of the city

by croisbeauty Written Dec 22, 2013

Staromestske namesti

Each traveler has a personal priorities when sightseeing the city, and they are so diverse that it is difficult even to count all of them. Some never miss museums, galleries, churches or city parks, while the others rush to shopping paradises, night clubs, famous cafe-bars or best known restaurants.
    For me the priority are city squares because, in my opinion, they represent the soul of the city. The city squares ticking the rhythm of the city and shows the temperament and the culture of its inhabitants. There are a lot of beautiful cities that are like Sleeping Beauty because their squares all day long empty.....

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Love & Peace"

by croisbeauty Updated Sep 6, 2013

This interesting and very attractive sculpture, created by Ana Tzarev, stands in a small square right next to the National Theater. Ana Tzarev is a Croatian born artist, known for her large-scale sculptures and paintings. In her works, both paintings and sculptures, she is using pure vibrant colors and unique sculptural approach. Although Croatian by origins, she is a real citizen of the world and her unique styled sculptures can be seen in many open spaces around the world
    As written on the drawplate, the sculpture is part of the Global Sculpture Campaign and is moving to many cities around the world. It was exposed in Prague from May til the end August 2013. I was lucky to see it during my visit to Prague.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

CAFE TRAMVAJ

by balhannah Written Sep 3, 2013

Walking along Wenceslas Square what I didn't expect to find, were two old heritage Tram Carriages!
    Trams used to run down Wenceslas Square until 1980. Now, as a reminder of these busy days, a couple are being used as a Café where you can buy food & drinks, including Pizza, Salads, Sandwiches, coffee and other simple meals. You can sit either in or out of the Tram.

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

Sightseeing, Prague, CZ

by TrendsetterME Written Sep 1, 2013
    Sightseeing, Prague, CZ

Besides the regular Tour Company City Tour buses, you also have the option to see around in Old Town with those antique cars in a more sophisticated and historical way ...

The Concierge of your hotel will give you several suggestions concerningly ... :)

• Photography
    • Castles and Palaces

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Talko to someone who knows ...

by Jerelis Written Nov 30, 2011

I guess we all agree on this on; there is nothing more exciting than going travelling - exploring another country, experiencing a different culture, travelling around in new ways, sampling the local cuisine and chatting to the local people for a different perspective on life.

However during our travels we learned that there is one certain thing that you should be aware of and prepared for to make sure that the trip is as easy and enjoyable as possible. We always try to see everything once we're there, but this is not always an act of responsible travelling. We always talk to the locals and we know that they have the information about just the right spots to visit and how to undertake them. It will not only enhance your experiences but also avoid any unnecessary hassles.

For me the travel tips I have written down in this section made the most of mine travel experience and I came home in the same happy, healthy state that I left.

• Hiking and Walking

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Finding Good Luck On The Charles Bridge

by Kaspian Updated Jul 27, 2011

Prague - Saint John of Nepomuk (2008)

Here's the real scoop on the luck superstitions of the Charles Bridge... The 16th statue walking across the Charles Bridge from the Old Town towards the Castle is a statue of St. John of Nepomuk. He's easy to find because he's exactly halfway across and has 5 gold stars forming a halo around his head. He is the national saint of Bohemia. St. John (real name "Jan Velflin") was a vicar-general that went against the wishes of King Wenceslaus IV. As a result, he was tortured and thrown from the Charles Bridge into the Vltava River where he drown on March 20, 1393. Legend has it that that five sparkling points of light ("stars") appeared hovering above the river soon after this about 500 metres downstream from where the priest was thrown in. A drought a few months later revealed the priest's body on the dry riverbed below where the stars had been.
    Anyway, on the pedestal below the statue are three plaques. Now if you are going to be a tourist and be superstitious, you can at least try to do the local superstition correctly!
    The plaque on the right depicts St. John being thrown off the bridge. You want to touch the depiction of the saint on the bridge. ...Not the bum of the big, fat lady on the shore underneath him! (Which I saw many an unknowing tourist enthusiastically fondle.) Touching the saint will bring you good luck and ensure that you return to Prague soon.
    The plaque in the middle has some Latin stuff on it that you probably don't understand anyway, so you can ignore that one.
    The plaque on the left of the pedestal shows a guard and a dog. Some superstitions say that petting the dog will reward you with a faithful spouse, keep a secret hidden from others forever, or bring you luck. Others say that petting the dog is incredibly bad luck. So best to stay away from this one altogether. Besides, nobody used to touch the dog until some drunk Czech students polished it shiny sometime around 2006 just to see if people would be dumb enough to touch it too. Sure enough, people did. They must still be laughing their heads off about that prank.
    Several feet away from this statue, facing towards the Old Town Square, on the left side top edge of the bridge is a bronze cross with five stars on it. This marks the place that St. John was thrown into the river. It's said that placing your left hand on it, with one finger touching each of the stars, will make any wish come true. While I was there, no tourists even seemed to notice this cross except for me. "This must have been where they threw him off," I said to my companions feeling very clever with myself.
    Good Luck!

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Photography - Not allowed a Sham

by XKuger Updated Sep 21, 2009
    View from Charles Tower

I noticed that some of the churches had a "No Photography" sign posted... however I found that none of the tourists cared. At first I was a little cautious and did not shoot any pictures, after that I noticed that that I was the only fool obeying the rules.

I just let loose and shot all the pictures that I wanted and no one really cared to stop me. However I was a responsible tourist and did not use the flash that would have a negative effect on old paintings etc.

• prettyjean's Profile Photo

Naked peeing men

by prettyjean Written Jul 30, 2009

Yesterday I was wondering around at the small lanes at the foot of Charles' Bridge on the opposite side of the old town. When I turned my back, I saw these 2 hilarious peeing status. Their asses could move left and right and their "brothers" could really more up and down. Watching the tourists posing all kinds of funny poses with them was really cracking me up!

This is why I like to walk around in small lanes off the beaten path, you will always have surprises!

• prettyjean's Profile Photo

Naked peeing men

by prettyjean Written Jul 30, 2009

• LanaFromRiga's Profile Photo

The Easter market

by LanaFromRiga Written May 28, 2006

The Easter market in the old town square

If you are in Prague during the Easter holidays, you shouldn't miss the Easter market. It is in the Old town square and it is working from the morning till the evenng every day even in the Holly Sunday too. There is possible to buy traditional decorated eggs and other Easter's gifts and presents.

• Religious Travel

• LanaFromRiga's Profile Photo

Tradition on the Charles bridge

by LanaFromRiga Written May 27, 2006

The touch for the luck

The tradition on Charles bridge looks like typical touristic tradition. You have to fondle the plafond of one of statues in the Charles bridge. Seems it is for luck! I'm not sure. In the photo you can see that people believe on this tradition very much - see how shines the plafond. :-)

• Islandcat's Profile Photo

Drawings for sale

by Islandcat Written Dec 20, 2005

Nice drawings

On Karls Bridge lots of artist both musicians and painters are showing their arts. I think this particular drawings are very good. The tourist trap is ofcourse that these paintings are not so very cheap.

• Pete_Barnett's Profile Photo

Stroke the dog and make a wish!

by Pete_Barnett Written Jun 22, 2005

Good Luck!

When passing over Charles Bridge, it is a local custom to stop at the statue of St. John Nepomuk and make a wish. There are two brass panels beneath the statue, one of which shows a mother and child protected by a soldier (with someone being thrown off the bridge) and the other depicts soldier and his dog. It is custom to make a wish whilst touching the panel for your wish to come true. I will let you know in due course if it works!

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Sword Eater

by Blatherwick Written Sep 7, 2004

Sword Eater

Every day I was in Prague and I was going from the Vaclavske Namesti to the Old Town Square I would pass this guy. The sword is real. He let me touch it. He would stick that thing into him right down to the hilt!

I have to say that the street entertainment in Prague was second to none. Gymnasts, sword eaters, and even opera singers that could really sing.

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Cow Parade 2004

by nhcram Written Jul 30, 2004

Cows on Parade

From June to September, life-sized sculptures of cows, created and painted by Czech artists, are brightening the streets and public spaces of the city. At the end of the project, selected sculptures will be sold at auction to raise money for children's charities.
    You turn a corner and another one greets you. They are all different and are amusing to look at.

Instant Answers: Prague