Some modesty please, Prague

Know about this?

by June.b
    by prazacek
    by utttz
  • Tourists customs and tourist prices

by jkey Updated Jun 5, 2003

Some tourists from countries of more western Europe or USA like to show how comparatively rich they are. (everything is sooo cheap!!!) This has two ugly effects

- first, some restaurants and services try to rip-off tourists, counting "special" price for people who don't speak Czech. ("They show they don't care about few crowns, so why not rip them off some crowns?")

-second, in some heavily touristed places, the price level is so escalated by tourists willing to pay inadequate prices (from local perspective), that most locals cannot afford. And are forced out of such central places.

You dont have to fake you're a ladder, but some modesty will be appreciated by locals. Also chances someone will try to cheat you are less, if you don't make a show of your money. Obvious :)

• Business Travel

• June.b's Profile Photo

Be nice, they're not snobs.

by June.b Updated Jun 22, 2010

I've read comments and reviews of some people on travel sites about rudeness. For instance, some staff or hotel personnel are rude or not helpful at some hotels in Prague, like reception lacking interest in providing assistance.

Maybe true maybe not, in my opinion and experience, it sometimes boils down to you (or me).

Both the two receptionists at the hotel I've stayed at for 3 nights are definitely friendly and helpful, maybe not the over-friendly kind of attitude but juz the kind I really need. They give me help and the right answers to my questions. They even write instructions on small paper on the names of tram stations where I want to go and help me find my way on the map. I had few minutes too of chats every morning before exploring the city and in the evening.

Maybe because I give them careful attention so I get twice the attention back.

Be nice, be modest...Don't you think it's a universal rule? You get what you give.

• anglosaxon's Profile Photo

Dress Codes

by anglosaxon Updated May 6, 2004

Dress codes are strictly enforced. These will range from "no armless" shirts or vests, up to the requirement of a tie depending on the restaurant. Sports shorts are often refused but, tailored shorts are OK. Trainers are often OK but, trainers without socks may get you barred. The owner of the bar etc may try to accomodate you i.e. eating inside is not possible but, outside is ok. Signs saying no T-Shirts are to put off the masses but, the same sign in a good restaurant will also bar Polo shirts as well.

• prazacek's Profile Photo

Many tourists usually want to...

by prazacek Written Aug 26, 2002

Many tourists usually want to show how rich they are - please, don't do it very often because people there really don't like it and they are mean to people who do it. I'm not trying to say that you have to hide the fact that you are more rich than the natives, but I'm trying to say: don't talk big. You'll see that when you'll be like them they will like you and help you.

• Them tourists!

by sabsi Updated Feb 18, 2003

Karel Gott Grafitti

What I found annoying (and I bet all the Czech people hate it even more!) were the tourists who were talking about how cheap Prague is all the time and who were acting like the rich uncle from the west boasting with their money etc etc etc. Disgusting!
    But I'm sure no real tourist would act like that!

About the picture:
    Do you know Karel Gott???!?! I guess he is only known in Germany - don't even know about Czech Republic... He is Czech - and he sings German 'Schlager' songs (the Eurovision in the 70s kind of music). His most famous song is the starting track of a childrens cartoon series called 'Biene Maja' .. haha my favourite when I was around 5 ;) Anyway, I assume someone had sprayed Karel at the wall there - and later someone (maybe German) wanted to make a joke and wrote Gott behind it ;) That's why I took a picture!

• utttz's Profile Photo

it's really easy to feel rich...

by utttz Written Aug 24, 2002

it's really easy to feel rich in prague.... life costs less than in the rest of europe, in the states or in australia. You can see a lot of people pretending they're the sultan of brunei... not a nice view!

Instant Answers: Prague