Cafe Louvre, Prague

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 8 Reviews

Eman and I at Cafe Louvre
  • Lovely meal in great company at Cafe Louvre
    Lovely meal in great company at Cafe...
    Cafe Louvre in Prague
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Nice historic restaurant in Prague

by Jefie Updated Jan 15, 2013

Lovely meal in great company at Cafe Louvre

Eman and I had made plans to meet for dinner when he got to Prague and he suggested going to Cafe Louvre, which was just a short walk away from our hotel. He sent me the link to the Cafe's Website and I was immediately interested in both the menu and history of the place. Dating back to 1902, Cafe Louvre once was a favourite gathering place of Prague's intellectual community and as such it has seen its fair share of celebrities throughout the years, including Franz Kafka and Albert Einstein. It offers a very chic and classy atmosphere, but prices are very reasonable. Portions are moderate in size so those used to North American-like portions might be disappointed, but I was just happy to be able to clean my plate for once :o) The goat cheese salad with cranberry dressing was excellent!

• irisha's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Popular spot

by irisha Written Apr 17, 2010

Cafe Louvre is a popular place with many people. You have both locals and tourists there. It's famous for the fact that both Albert Einstein and Franz Kafka used to come over for lunch or dinner. Curious to see what it was like, I went there as well. The interior is really nice, the spaces are vast, the smoking area (the one where we found a spot) seats quite a lot of people. At one point when my friend and I were both quite for a minute, we noticed how noisy it was - a lot of people came over for lunch, the cafe was pretty busy and you almost had to raise your voice to talk to the person right across from you. The service isn't very fast, but nothing horrible. I wouldn't say that the menu offers a very vast range of dishes, they have Czech, Italian, desserts, salads, starters - all very typical, but I think a wider choice would be appreciated. I ordered gnocchi with salmon and cream sauce and it was good, but not the best meal I ever tasted. Overall it was a nice visit, but it's not the best place in Prague.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Veroali's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Cafe

by Veroali Written Jan 4, 2010

If you search for a cafe in the center, dont miss Cafe Louvre. Louvre is located in Narodni trida, close to National Theatre. I like the interior and delicious hot chocolate with ice cream. It is cheaper than some modern fake cafes and definitely better. In winter it is a good option for a break in walking around Prague.

• Gottsie's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Ummm Cakes!

by Gottsie Updated Sep 17, 2007

Café Louvre was founded in 1902 and has been there ever since. This elegant café is easy to relax in playing a game of billiards for the afternoon, with a wide range of drinks and food, with splendiferous cakes. The service is efficient and friendly. They pride themselves on repeated visits from Franz Kafka, Karel Capek and Albert Einstein.

• vesna04's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Very good breakfast

by vesna04 Updated Sep 8, 2007

CAFE LOUVRE INSIDE

If this was good enough for such famous people like Albert Einstein Franz Kafka, Karel Capek...I thought it will be good for me too, just joking...that was the main reason to visit this cafe, for me, it was the kind of sightseeing. It was built in 1902 and is a very popular place ever since.

Favorite Dish: I had breakfast and it was nice and cheap. Second time I went there with my husband and we had only coffee.

This was taken from their menu;
    COWBOY BREAKFAST - Choice of 100% juice, Baked bacon or ham with eggs, apple meringue pie with wallnuts 109,- kc

• jil_coleslaw's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Cafe Louvre

by jil_coleslaw Written Sep 23, 2005

This restaurant has been established in 1902 with elegant French-style dining room and billiard room next door. The glass-roofed garden is the wonderful place to get some sunshine in the warm afternoon.

Open from 0800

Kafka and Einstein were the customers of this famous cafe.

Favorite Dish: Main dish: Roasted rabbit breast in cream and french mustard sause with wild rice (190kc)

Side dish: warm vegetables (baby carrot, open sliced bean, brocolli) (30kc)

Wine: 2004 Merlot red wine (40kc)

• Architecture

• RockTadgers's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Create a Sense of Well-Being

by RockTadgers Written Aug 23, 2005

The wonderful Cafe Louvre on Narodni has been around in various forms since the turn of last century, and it still carries itself with a sense of decorum and old world elegance. That's not to say it's stuffy at all - in fact, it's quite easy to spend a whole day there relaxing with the paper and enjoying the feeling of being more well off than you actually are.

The prices are fairly reasonable, and although it draws a pleasant, Multinational crowd, the more insufferable tourists and expats must be eating at somewhere more fashionable. Which is always a good thing, so you're free to peruse the international press amid the soothing chatter of other diners. It's always packed, but not unpleasantly so.

The ceilings are high and the main dining room is light and airy. The service is unusually friendly and efficient, and there is also a non-smoking section. In the back there are pool tables for hire by the hour, and you can even hand your coat in to the cloakroom on the way in.

Favorite Dish: It's a long time since I actually ate there - I usually just go for a coffee and to relax. The pork medallions were particularly good. Sorry to be so vague, it's just I never feel obliged to eat there!

• Trains

• freshmaker's Profile Photo

Cafe Louvre: Dinner, drinks, and. . .billards?

by freshmaker Updated Nov 1, 2002

Cafe Louvre: Of all the clubs and restaurants I went to I enjoyed this place the best. Tasty food, pleasing atmosphere, the place felt like a mix of trendy and intelligentia. I was able to relax and drink a beer, read a bit, and rub shoulders with an interesting crowd of mainly locals. Plus the billiard room in the back is a great touch.

Instant Answers: Prague

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Louvre
5.0 out of 5 stars