U Fleku, Prague

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 37 Reviews

Gotta love the tab system
    U Fleck in Prague
    by Jefie
    Loving the beer at U Fleku!
  • mauro_pd's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Traditional

by mauro_pd Updated Jul 10, 2005
    Entrance clock

Reported almost in every guide, old traditional beer pub, well refurbished and a little bit touristic but not too much.
    Simply go there, it´s silly to miss it while in Prague !!

Favorite Dish: Beer and beer-cheese !!!

• Andrea-Andy's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Beer from 1499.

by Andrea-Andy Written Mar 2, 2005

The "U Fleku Brewery was founded in 1499. For me this is one of the best brewery of Europe because the atmosphere of his rooms is unique.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is Goulash “U Flekù”, 1/2 flab dumplings, 1/2 bread dumplings with one U Kleku 13° lager beer.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

The best tourist trap I had ever been ....: 'U Fleku'

by Carmela71 Updated Feb 28, 2005

The group

Yes it is for tourist, yes it is overpriced, yes I would have preferred that waiters would smile at least once ... but we had the best night there of the trip ..... what began as a nice dinner with wonderful company it finished in Madness ;-))))

We decided to meet again for dinner with the people we meet the same day from Venezuela on the tour guided around the city. they asked me for suggestions and as I had read a little before the trip about this place we decided to go....

We arrived there around 8.00 am and a few minutes later it was full (we were very lucky). In one room it was mainly German people, singing German songs .... but in our room, they had put all the Mediterranean countries. Italians, a few groups of Spanish people and some French ones.

The Italian group had a couple of guys that began to sing and dance with the musicians and we all finished singing "Marina, Marina and sole mio...", then it was the turn of the Spanish ones .. que viva España, pajaritos .... well ... at the end Italians and Spanish were dancing salsa and other dances, and of course sevillanas ... It was a great time.

we closed the pub, but I guess if they had let us stay there and gave us a guitar, they would have found all us there in the morning LOL

Thanks Jose Maria, Natalia and Karen, it would not had been the same without your company :-)

• Bregman's Profile Photo

U Fleků: U Fleků beer hall

by Bregman Updated Feb 1, 2005

U Fleků

U Fleků is one of the most famous beer halls of the Czech Republic, if not the most famous one. It goes back more than 500 years ago. Officially, the right to brew and sell beer was granted at 1499, but it's safe to assume they were brewing the beer much earlier than that. Some evidence date the building as far back as 1360.
    Caution: The beer price here is much higher than in other places as it such a tourist attraction.
    Apart from the amazing beer you get here, made the same way for about 500 years, you can also taste the local dishes. Nothing fancy, just good old basic cooking. There is a beer museum on the premises and they brew the beer right there in the back.

Favorite Dish: Beer!

• gaechka's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Friend climat...

Our team...

hehe..it was fun! This USA man (name's Dave), just has come and waiter puted 2 BIG glasses of beer to him. he was so surprise, his eyes asked us "what for? two glasses?".
    He was looking very fun! One of my friend (Tanya) told him "Relax man, they do it for every one...We r from Russ and u??"
    Well...and still we contact wth our USA friend, whosw have met in Restouran "U Fleku"

• gaechka's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Special style of waiters...

inside of holl

When u come inside of holls/room ..wow...
    there is bread and long tables,super chandelier and full od people. Every one look happy, smile,drink beers, sing sons...
    To get new friends is soo easy... U just sit near to table, a waiter don't ask u nothing, just put BIG glass of beer to u and make some note by piens on little piece of patper...
    And when u will finished ur beer, after few seconds will come an other waiter wth HUGE metal tray and full of beers...and will put another beers again... They never ask u, they just feel, that u need one more...

• Music

• gaechka's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Don't Miss The most friendly restouran in Prague..

Musicers inside of restouran

This restouran has surprised me a lot! The 1st, when u come inside, 2 men (musicers) will welcome u.They have to heard in witch languege u speak and start to plave one of the famost music/song of ur country... That is realy WELCOME!

Favorite Dish: There r owne beers of restoran..black one, and thick is my favorite...

• Music

• maria-belgrade's Profile Photo

U Fleku: U fleku

by maria-belgrade Written Oct 26, 2004

If you haven't heard for "U fleku" restaurant, than I don't know where you've been all this time :) Just kidding, of course, but the truth is that this restaurant is one of the landmarks of Prague. Don't miss it, it is truly authentic and the food is really good.

P.S. don't expect anything fancy. The enterior hasn't changed in decades!

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed their national specialty - dumplings and famous Czech beer.
    Bon appetite!

• OlafS's Profile Photo

U Fleku

by OlafS Updated Sep 15, 2004

Prague: U Fleku

U Fleku is the oldest brewpub of Prague and was established in 1499. This is a very touristic place that can hold up to ca. 900 people. Prices are high compared to other places in town, but they do serve an excellent dark beer. Food is good too, mostly traditional Czech dishes, all a bit on the expensive side but nothing that will make you bankrupt. I strongly recommend a visit, if only once. However, apart from the prices, there are three things I don't like. First, it seems you're not allowed to choose your own seat. A waiter will tell you where to sit instead. My theory is that each waiter has his own territory where he has to earn his money. I don't like being claimed like that.
    Second, waiters will constantly try to serve you Becherovka, a licquor. What they don't tell you is that it's not on the house but that you will have to pay dearly for it afterwards. Same for other things you didn't ask for, like bread. Third, when they make up the bill they'll add 10% for "service". Don't give a tip, they already take it themselves! Oh, and don't go at nights when you don't like live polkamusic!

• roza_hr's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Delicious local specialties

by roza_hr Written Jun 28, 2004

the musicians

While in Prague, don't miss their wonderful food specialties. Most of Czech traditional restaurants are actually pubs/breweries serving food which goes nicely with a pint of their delicious lager - goes down very smoothly. Although these days there are more and more fast food and such places, so it might be a bit difficult to find a place in the centre serving traditional food at favourable prices, you can't go wrong if you go to U Fleku. It looks every bit like the traditional Bohemian pub and it's also one of the oldest pubs in Prague - over 500 years old.
    But be careful - because it's very famous for it's food and atmosphere, people often queue waiting for the table. So it might be a good idea to call in first, unless you don't mind having to wait a little before they find you a table.

You can find cheaper places with great food too, but this place is definitely worth the money. Feel free to order anything from the menu as I'm sure everything tastes great.

There is also live music - two nice gentlemen playing the accordian and the trumpet, going around from table to table. If you tell them where you come from, they'll play a song from your country. You can tip them by throwing a few coins into the trumpet.

Favorite Dish: You name it - I love it! Stew, goulash, bread, bacon or potato dumplings, roast duck, red cabbage, potato dishes, sausages, apple strudle ... whatever you try, I think you won't regret it.

Just one thing to be careful about:
    As soon as you finish your pint, the waiter brings you another one without even asking. It happens in most such places. Which of course they charge you in the end. So unless you have loads of money or want to get really drunk, don't empty your glass, however difficult it may be. Leave a bit at the bottom and they won't bother you.

• bpwillet's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Cold one while you wait...

by bpwillet Written Mar 27, 2004

Interior of U Fleku and Band

One of the neat things about this restaurant is that you can get a cold mug of their dark local brew set down at your table before the menu even comes out. They will walk by and place one down if you like and mark it on a sheet of paper. It is not bad and always cold. When you are done, they will be by to pick it up and set down a brand new one. There is a very old, hunting lodge type of feel to it. Long tables in the center, hanging lights from the ceiling and exposed beams. There are also some guys who will play some music during the night. If you want to tip them, apparently the tuba player accepts money down the bell of his horn.

Favorite Dish: I tried the goulash with potatoe dumplings and it was very filling. They have specials that are very good as well. The fact that they have their own micro brew is also a real treat here.

• kenbac's Profile Photo

U Fleku: U Fleku

by kenbac Updated Sep 28, 2003

U Fleku

This is a very old Beer Hall with a mixed reputation.
    It has a dark beer, which has been brewed here 1499 and is great stuff.
    That's the good reputation.
    It is a bit touristy and could probably be called a Tourist Trap, having said that the place is worth a visit.
    The first time I was hurriedly shown into a dull room and offered service. I ordered a beer but found there was a nice courtyard and it was a sunny summer day, so I indicated I would sit there. Must have caused a problem because the waiter didn't bring me my beer.
    I have no problem with different cultures, even if that includes sulky service, but I wasn't having bad service which it what I was getting.
    Made issue with what think was a supervisor and got my beer.
    I always give a place a fair chance and returned to U Fleku on my second visit to Prague.
    This time we went in the evening and had our dinner as well as the beer. The meal was ok but just not quite up to what we were getting in general. And the price for the food was a quite a bit more expensive than in general, about Euro 12 per person for starter, main course and two beers. The beer was also expensive for Prague at Euro 1.60 but was very good.
    There was a lack of atmosphere until suddenly about 300 Italian girls arrived. They were out for a good evening and certainly brought the place to life and we all had a smashing time.
    There is a web site and it includes the menu

Favorite Dish: Goulash " U Flekù", 1/2 bacon dumplings, 1/2 bread dumplings

• globetrott's Profile Photo

U Fleku, Svejk & Co

by globetrott Written Aug 23, 2003

Svejk - tourist traps in Prague

Some of the restaurants I have visited I mention under the chapter " tourist-trap" as they are simply traps, by the way tourists are shown some sort of a " Czech Beer Disney World "

Favorite Dish: I am absolutely aware that many tourists like them THAT way, But I personally do NOT !

• Luxury Travel

• jensi's Profile Photo

U Flecu: Famous brewery

by jensi Updated Feb 19, 2003

Everybody said we'd have to drink a brew in the "U Flecu" because they are so famous and they are brewing their own beer, which is sold there and only there. It's some kind of dark beer, I can't be more specific because I forgot (hey, it's been almost three years since then!). Well, been there, done that, however, I don't know what was so special about it (apart from the price, I think it was - surprise! - rather expensive).

On the other hand, I had a headache and we had little time because of the soon departure of our train. Maybe I would have been delighted if I had tried some food or more beer (rather the latter).

Favorite Dish: I don't know. I didn't eat anything because of my small budget and the scarce time.

• lidia664's Profile Photo

U Flecku: The capitol of beer

by lidia664 Updated Feb 2, 2003

What is most important, however, is that Prague is a true beer capitol. There are lots of pubs offering different sorts of local beers. “U Flecku” is one of the famous and the oldest operating brew pub in town. The "U Flecku" offers only their own dark beer in large mugs.

Instant Answers: Prague

Comments

Hotels Near U Fleku
4.0 out of 5 stars