U Fleku, Prague

4 out of 5 stars 37 Reviews

Gotta love the tab system
    U Fleck in Prague
    by Jefie
    Loving the beer at U Fleku!
  • maria-belgrade's Profile Photo

U Fleku: U fleku

by maria-belgrade Written Oct 26, 2004

If you haven't heard for "U fleku" restaurant, than I don't know where you've been all this time :) Just kidding, of course, but the truth is that this restaurant is one of the landmarks of Prague. Don't miss it, it is truly authentic and the food is really good.

P.S. don't expect anything fancy. The enterior hasn't changed in decades!

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed their national specialty - dumplings and famous Czech beer.
    Bon appetite!

• rsilva's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Beer and... cheese

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

The first time we went to Prague we visited this place and liked it so much we went back there again last year.

This is a very old restaurant/brewery that was founded in 1499 and although today it is a bit of a tourist attraction, with a museum and a gift shop, it is a great place if you ignore this.

There are long, wooden tables and you just sit where there is a spot, usually next to some other people as the place seems to be packed all the time.

The waiters will "automatically" come and serve you some beer and you must explicitly tell them if you don't want it. Then they start bringing you other drinks in some smaller shotglasses (Becherovka?) that you also have to refuse if not interested. As soon as you finish your glass, you will get a refill.

Tip: When you are on your last beer and intend to leave, drink until the glass is ALMOST empty and ask for the bill, that way you will not be served anymore - this is what the locals do.

Also remember that everything they bring and you accept, you will have to pay for, it is NOT on the house.

The dark beer is brewed in-house and only sold here (or so I was told), but if you are into something different, I recommend the Beer Cheese - the smell is repulsive but the taste is very good.

Last time we were there and I had a nice Goulash, which at 185CZK (about 6 Eur) was reasonably priced.

In the end, we asked for the bill and the waiter came to our table and wrote it down, in front of us, explaining each of the items, maybe avoiding complaints, but nice in any case.

There was also live music (check photo) which was nice as all the locals would sing along the popular tunes. The athmosphere is great and I will definetly go back when in Prague.

The musicians

• roza_hr's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Delicious local specialties

by roza_hr Written Jun 28, 2004

While in Prague, don't miss their wonderful food specialties. Most of Czech traditional restaurants are actually pubs/breweries serving food which goes nicely with a pint of their delicious lager - goes down very smoothly. Although these days there are more and more fast food and such places, so it might be a bit difficult to find a place in the centre serving traditional food at favourable prices, you can't go wrong if you go to U Fleku. It looks every bit like the traditional Bohemian pub and it's also one of the oldest pubs in Prague - over 500 years old.
    But be careful - because it's very famous for it's food and atmosphere, people often queue waiting for the table. So it might be a good idea to call in first, unless you don't mind having to wait a little before they find you a table.

You can find cheaper places with great food too, but this place is definitely worth the money. Feel free to order anything from the menu as I'm sure everything tastes great.

There is also live music - two nice gentlemen playing the accordian and the trumpet, going around from table to table. If you tell them where you come from, they'll play a song from your country. You can tip them by throwing a few coins into the trumpet.

Favorite Dish: You name it - I love it! Stew, goulash, bread, bacon or potato dumplings, roast duck, red cabbage, potato dishes, sausages, apple strudle ... whatever you try, I think you won't regret it.

Just one thing to be careful about:
    As soon as you finish your pint, the waiter brings you another one without even asking. It happens in most such places. Which of course they charge you in the end. So unless you have loads of money or want to get really drunk, don't empty your glass, however difficult it may be. Leave a bit at the bottom and they won't bother you.

the musicians

• Jefie's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Dinner at a historic brewery

by Jefie Written Jan 10, 2013

This historic beer hall is featured in many tour guides as one of Prague's top attractions. Perhaps for that reason I was a bit afraid of walking into a tourist trap, but U Fleku is actually much more than that! Dating back to 1499, it is believed to be the city's oldest brewery. They brew only one type of beer, a flavourful dark lager, which they'll waste no time bringing to your table (after all, why else would you go there but to sample their beer?). The place was packed when we got there, but someone quickly showed us to a table, which we ended up sharing with other travellers (as seems to be the custom at U Fleku). The pub is divided into several large rooms, each offering a nice, festive atmosphere. Some musicians were playing what I can only assume to be Czech folk songs as we seemed to be the only ones not able to sing along. Food was quite good and not too expensive, which is mainly why I wouldn't call this place a tourist trap. Sylvain ordered the roasted pork while I got a big bowl of potato soup, and we both very much enjoyed our meal. Music, food and beer - it definitely was a fun way to become acquainted with Czech culture and traditions!

U Fleck in Prague Dinner time at U Fleku Folk musicians at U Fleku Loving the beer at U Fleku! Gotta love the tab system

• doug48's Profile Photo

u fleku: beer and czech food

by doug48 Updated Apr 4, 2011

u fleku is a historic restaurant and beer hall in new town. u fleku has been brewing beer since 1499. they have eight dining rooms that have a "german" beer hall atmosphere. the food is very good and moderately priced. they also have a room that has cabaret style shows. the restaurant is usually crowded but the beer hall type seating is a great way to meet people. a fun place to visit when in prague.

u fleku
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• OlafS's Profile Photo

U Fleku

by OlafS Updated Sep 15, 2004

U Fleku is the oldest brewpub of Prague and was established in 1499. This is a very touristic place that can hold up to ca. 900 people. Prices are high compared to other places in town, but they do serve an excellent dark beer. Food is good too, mostly traditional Czech dishes, all a bit on the expensive side but nothing that will make you bankrupt. I strongly recommend a visit, if only once. However, apart from the prices, there are three things I don't like. First, it seems you're not allowed to choose your own seat. A waiter will tell you where to sit instead. My theory is that each waiter has his own territory where he has to earn his money. I don't like being claimed like that.
    Second, waiters will constantly try to serve you Becherovka, a licquor. What they don't tell you is that it's not on the house but that you will have to pay dearly for it afterwards. Same for other things you didn't ask for, like bread. Third, when they make up the bill they'll add 10% for "service". Don't give a tip, they already take it themselves! Oh, and don't go at nights when you don't like live polkamusic!

Prague: U Fleku

• bpwillet's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Cold one while you wait...

by bpwillet Written Mar 27, 2004

One of the neat things about this restaurant is that you can get a cold mug of their dark local brew set down at your table before the menu even comes out. They will walk by and place one down if you like and mark it on a sheet of paper. It is not bad and always cold. When you are done, they will be by to pick it up and set down a brand new one. There is a very old, hunting lodge type of feel to it. Long tables in the center, hanging lights from the ceiling and exposed beams. There are also some guys who will play some music during the night. If you want to tip them, apparently the tuba player accepts money down the bell of his horn.

Favorite Dish: I tried the goulash with potatoe dumplings and it was very filling. They have specials that are very good as well. The fact that they have their own micro brew is also a real treat here.

Interior of U Fleku and Band

• csordila's Profile Photo

Pivovar a restaurace U Flekú: More than 500 years experience in brewing of beer

by csordila Updated Jul 28, 2009

Perhaps U Fleku is the most visited pub in Prague, which is not a surprise, because its excellent Stout is brewed since more than 500 years here.
    Whatever happens you should taste one of the famous local beers brewed on site.
    The service is great. But it is necessary to watch , if a half sip ( or less ) in your mug is left over , then it will be replaced without any word immediately.
    You are not asked, whether you want still one, or not , the next jug is before you already

Open: Mon-Sun 9.00 - 23.00
    A jug of 13° lager - 2 Euro

Favorite Dish: Only one kind of beer may be ordered, but it is very strong and very tasty.
    The pub is a place of pilgrimage of the hungarian Beer-drinkers.

Two beer, or not two beer: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer......... rather more beer than two.

U Fleku How to find U Fleku

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

The best tourist trap I had ever been ....: 'U Fleku'

by Carmela71 Updated Feb 28, 2005

Yes it is for tourist, yes it is overpriced, yes I would have preferred that waiters would smile at least once ... but we had the best night there of the trip ..... what began as a nice dinner with wonderful company it finished in Madness ;-))))

We decided to meet again for dinner with the people we meet the same day from Venezuela on the tour guided around the city. they asked me for suggestions and as I had read a little before the trip about this place we decided to go....

We arrived there around 8.00 am and a few minutes later it was full (we were very lucky). In one room it was mainly German people, singing German songs .... but in our room, they had put all the Mediterranean countries. Italians, a few groups of Spanish people and some French ones.

The Italian group had a couple of guys that began to sing and dance with the musicians and we all finished singing "Marina, Marina and sole mio...", then it was the turn of the Spanish ones .. que viva España, pajaritos .... well ... at the end Italians and Spanish were dancing salsa and other dances, and of course sevillanas ... It was a great time.

we closed the pub, but I guess if they had let us stay there and gave us a guitar, they would have found all us there in the morning LOL

Thanks Jose Maria, Natalia and Karen, it would not had been the same without your company :-)

The group

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Gret fun and great beer

by rexvaughan Updated Sep 29, 2006

I have read some reviews that dismiss U Fleku as a touristy place. Well, it is, but it is FUN. What is wrong with mixing with folks from Argentina or Chicago? Within seconds of being seated at long tables shared by whomever a beer appears in front of you. And it is a nice dark beer brewed on the premises. Before long a strolling band of tuba and accordian comes through playing old familiar songs and everyone joins in a lusty sing in whatever language they want. Who cares it they are locals or tourists? The beer is good, the food is good, the atmosphere is great.

This place was founded in 1499 and is huge with several rooms, halls, lounges and a terrace. We had pretty traditional food, goulash with dumplings and sausages with potatoes but it was all very tasty and the beer was especially good. The waiters also try to get you to have some kind of herbal liquere which is pretty strong and not particulaly to my taste.

We visited early in the meal with 2 ladies from Argentina and later with three young people from Chicago. While I don’t want to spend my vacation in crowds of tourists, it is fun to meet folks from other places and enjoy their perspectives and comments. One of the ladies from Argentina said something that made me think she took us as British. When I said, “We are Americans,” she replied “we are all Americans.” Oh yeah, there is the Southern one too!

Enjoying the company of 3 young Chicagoans Here comes the band U Fleku exterior

• Neit's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Cool Tabern

by Neit Updated Apr 4, 2011

The U Fleku is a tabern located in a 1499 brewery. It catch our attention because we read in a guide that they made their own beer since it was founded.

While we were having supper some musicians were playing the accordion, and some guests of a table were singing folks songs. So don't expect to find a real Prague place, it's all prepared for tourists. But the place it's really worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: The local and the food were very good, specially the Goulash (delicious).

Local Food

• globetrott's Profile Photo

U Fleku, Svejk & Co

by globetrott Written Aug 23, 2003

Some of the restaurants I have visited I mention under the chapter " tourist-trap" as they are simply traps, by the way tourists are shown some sort of a " Czech Beer Disney World "

Favorite Dish: I am absolutely aware that many tourists like them THAT way, But I personally do NOT !

Svejk - tourist traps in Prague
    • Luxury Travel

• Zlur's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Unforgettable experience!

by Zlur Updated Oct 3, 2005

A typical Czech beer hall with a history dating back to over 500 years ago... it's very popular with the tourists... should not be missed! Atmosphere is fantastic with their live entertainment.... drink their Black Beer brewed on the premises (oldest Czech brewery in Prague) and eat their goulash! They've also got an outdoor beer garden for the summer months...

Favorite Dish: Beef with bread dumplings

U Fleku

• Husker_Jeff's Profile Photo

U Fleku: Tourist Trap But We Had Fun Anyway

by Husker_Jeff Written Nov 15, 2006

We planned to meet up with my colleague Merry and her husband. They were going to meet some locals at U Fleku. I had read in the VT reviews that this was a very, very touristy place… but we decided to go anyway. It certainly is a tourist place – I don’t think there were any locals except the people who worked there. But it gave us our polka fix. There was a guy with an accordion and later on there were two guys, one with a horn and one with an accordion.

We had a lot of beer. They serve only one beer, which I assume is there own brew. It is dark and was actually pretty good, but no Pilsner Urquell.

Nicole had the sausage. It came with potatoes and horseradish. I had the beef fillet in cream sauce. It was similar to what Nicole had at Cerny Orel a few days earlier. It was better at Cerny Orel.

We had a good time because the company was good. Merry and Mark were fun. And we met a number of chaps from the UK and had fun talking with them, as well. Their names were Peter, Andrew, Will, Andy, and Alan.

The bill was also very touristy. For 27 beers, 4 dinners, and 4 shots of some unidentified liquor, the total before tip was 3300 Kè.

Favorite Dish: Beer.

Nicole got her polka New friends from the UK Mark, Merry, Nicole We had this many beers...

• geordieontour's Profile Photo

enjoyed the beer

by geordieontour Updated Mar 22, 2011

went to see the brewery but was closed, as was most of the rooms , due to winter I suppose, anyway, settled in for a pint which was served rather quickly but was damed good, fell for the liqueor trick ie handed 2 small shots, which was added to the bill later, overall a bit on the expenise side just for drinks, but put it down to experience. meals looked interesting for what I saw other people have.

Favorite Dish: just the dark beer.

Instant Answers: Prague

Comments

Hotels Near U Fleku
4.0 out of 5 stars