U Pinkasu, Prague

• Dabs's Profile Photo

U Pinkasu: Czech pub

by Dabs Updated Jun 22, 2008

Lamb roll in garlic

I had such high hopes for this place, it was recommended here on VT, by In Your Pocket and by several locals but I was really disappointed not only with the food but also the service. We 1st sat down in one of the outdoor patios, the waiter handed us Czech menus and when we asked for an English menu, he rolled his eyes and stomped off. Sorry but Czech isn't exactly an international language and I *am* in a restaurant in the middle of the tourist section of town!

When he brought the English menus back, it was a limited menu for that section so we picked up and moved upstairs where they had the full menu. The waitress was rather unenthusiastic but did bring us an English menu without a temper tantrum. To cap off our evening, she tacked on a service charge of 15%. I would have left less except I was using my credit card, she didn't speak English very well and I just wanted to leave because it was quite hot inside.

**Note that there are several different sections to this restaurant, we ate in the Upper House. In addition to the sections listed on the attached website, there was a garden area and outside seating at the front of the building. Service and prices may vary from section to section.**

Favorite Dish: I order fried lamb roll in garlic with spinach and potato pancakes (179kc), it really wasn't anything like I anticipated, the lamb roll didn't seem to be fried or have any hint of garlic and the potato pancakes were heavy and didn't taste at all like potato pancakes.

David ordered a side order of baked potatoes with bacon (45 kc) which were OK, his main dish was bramborové knedlíky plnené, potato and ham dumplings topped with sauerkraut and bacon(149kc) which was also OK.

The food prices were a bit higher here than other places we ate but comparable to the other restaurant we ate at in old town, even the beer was a bit overpriced at 41kc for .5L Pilsner Urquell, most other places it was around 28-30kc for a 1/2 liter. Our total bill with 3 drinks total was 496kc plus 74kc tip she gave herself.

• mbsimjam's Profile Photo

U Pinkasu: Typifying Czech pubs is an art in this place

by mbsimjam Written Aug 17, 2007

U Pinkasu is exactly what I think of when I think of a place that does its best to look as Czech as possible to the tourists. It is a huge place located right in the centre with 3 levels and varied types of rooms that generate different atmospheres and ambience. Upstairs is a little more upper class looking, where you would take your family for a traditional Czech dinner, while downstairs is the nice private beer room for the real drinkers and talkers. Basically it is a place that you can go, whatever you are in the mood for.

The pub itself is about 150 years old, and a very big tradition in the city as a place to gather with your friends, business associates, and family.

The atmosphere created there is great, not to mention the vat style delivery of the flagship beer Pilsner Urquell (which, incidentally raises its quality in the pint glass substantially), makes this one of my favourite places when I am downtown looking for a "reasonably" priced pint of gold, or a place to take the visitors to show them a really good Czech experience.

Favorite Dish: The Svickova there was brilliant, not to mention the rabbit. Generally all the food there is good.

• riika's Profile Photo

U Pinkasu: First in Prague to serve Pilsner on tap!

by riika Written Jun 7, 2006

U Pinkasu was the first restaurant in Prague to server Pilsner Urquell in 1843, I imagine it was just as cozy an atmosphere back then as it is now. There are 5 different areas to this restaurant that you can read about on their webpage. We've eaten in the Cellar and Lower House as well as outside in the patio. Never disappointing!

Favorite Dish: The czech gulas and Kozel ;)

• U Pincasu: beautiful mains- bbbad dessert! :(

by Nazreal Written Jun 1, 2006

Being the recommended resto in LP guide we hunted down this resto which is right on the edge of Old town (which melds into the 'New town' area, where all the modern shopping begins).

Anyhoos, this resto does proper Bohemian local fare which was delicious and not badly priced given its central location. A good sign was that there were loads of local Czechs eating there not just tourists.

After a tummy filling main dish of pork and bohemian dumplings (btw, YUM!!) we thought we'd go for dessert: dont bother- it was gross. rock hard 'sponge' and a sour fruit concoction which was truly gag worthy. apart from that great food, great beer just not a sweets place!

• Business Travel

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

U Pinkasu: Historic beer hall

by rexvaughan Updated Dec 14, 2005

U Pinkasu is a nice pub and has been drawing Pilsner Urquel for almost a century and a half. It was the first beer hall to offer this new beer in 1876. It has a relaxed and cozy feel and others have said it retains much of the character of the old Czech pubs. We stopped in after a concert for a “snack” meal and I ended up with delicious and I think typical Czech cuisine.

Favorite Dish: The pickled sausages with onions and peppers was very tasty and was accompanied by nice braided and salted bread and mustard. We washed it down with a really nice dark beer. This was admittedly a light meal but only ran about $7 each. Wish I could eat this well and this cheaply at home

Instant Answers: Prague

Comments

Hotels Near U Pinkasu
4.5 out of 5 stars