U Sadlu, Prague

• U Sadlu
    by TerezaJ
  • U SADLU: HIDDEN AWAY?

by johnbrum Updated Apr 4, 2011

HIDDEN AWAY DOWN SOME STEPS IN A CELLAR IS THIS RESTAURANT.THERE IS A LARGE MENU ONLY IN CZECH. THE WAITERS ONLY SPEAK ALITTLE ENGLISH SO IF YOU CANT READ CZECH THEY WILL OFFER YOU A MIXED PLATE TO SHARE WHICH IS MAINLY MEAT AND DUMPLINGS.BE WARNED IT IS A MASSIVE PORTION.THE PRICES WERE GOOD.STRANGE THEY DONT HAVE THE MENU IN ENGLISH WHEN IT IS ON THEIR WEB SITE IN ENGLISH!PREHAPS I WILL PRINT IT AND TAKE IT WITH ME NEXT TIME!THE DECOR IS MEDEVIL AND QUITE PLEASENT.

Favorite Dish: THE MIXED CZECH PLATE WITH LOCAL DISHES WAS GOOD,BUT YOU MUST LIKE MEAT.

• U Sádlu I: Rip OFF!

by Jeannielouise Written Jun 29, 2007

I wouldn't bother going to this restaurant unless you speak Czech. My boyfriend and I were totally ripped off and could do nothing about it. We decided to go to this restaurant after reading a review on this site. We read that the menu was not in English but it sounded like the food would be really good and authentic. Well it was good food but after we got the bill we didn't think it was so good. It should have cost us half of what it did. For the two of us the bill ended up being 820 kc (about $40 US). We only had one dish each and one drink each. We couldn't understand the bill so we couldn't even ask and the server had to help us order because we couldn't read the menu. Well we were not sure exactly what item's we ordered but we knew at least the price range because we ordered from one page of the menu with meat.
    We were brought a bread basket and some lard to spread on it and we think we were charged... well, we are not sure but it must have cost about 200 kc. Long story short it's a great situation for the restaurant to have the menu only in Czech, they can take advantage of foreigners. Had we any idea we would be paying 820 kc we would have gone to one of the tourist traps in the Old Square. Do us a favor and don't eat here!!

Favorite Dish: The lovely vat of lard we were given without ordering and then charged for! Mmmmmm Ymmmy!

• Lejla06's Profile Photo

U Sadlu: Middle ages atmosphere restaurant

by Lejla06 Written Feb 12, 2007

U Sadlu is traditional Czech restaurant, very popular and opened long time ago.
    It has great middle age atmosphere and menu only in Czech so it can be adventure to order a dish.
    But I recommand this place!

• U Sadlu on www.geobeats.com

by Roshana20 Written Nov 25, 2006

I came across this site recently and I am watching all the videos there....Traveled all over the Europe I was looking for videos on places I have already visited....

And I felt very nostalgic after viewing geobeats video on U Sadlu...

Have a look at this wonderful site:

www.geobeats.com

Favorite Dish: More than food I like the environment there....

• paulcantlon's Profile Photo

U'Sadlu: Medieval Czech Restaurant

by paulcantlon Written Sep 30, 2004

Down the dark stairway past the Knight's armour and into a few old dungeon chambers is U'Sadlu (translated to At Fats). A fantastic choice for traditional Czech food, a little more expensive than the other restaurants featured on my page but still quite cheap in relation to restaurants around Europe. Waiters are very friendly and willing to help you make a decision (there are no English menu's). We decided on the Platter for two. Now I eat alot, but this was ridiculous. 4 people would have struggled through this. The meal cost about US$25, but it would easily feed a family of four!

Favorite Dish: Various Platter

• Blondiina's Profile Photo

U Sadlu: For the knight in you

by Blondiina Written Sep 11, 2004

U Sadlu is a comfy, kind of medieval themed cellar restaurant, popular with both locals and tourist. It serves mainly Czech food with interesting names like Mourning or Stuffed Monk's Pocket and it all comes with a friendly service. They didn't have an English menu, when we visited, but the waiter was very helpful. Prices were reasonable and you certainly didn't leave feeling still hungry.

Favorite Dish: Chicken breast baked with peach and a chease topping was really delicious.

• Zandra's Profile Photo

U Sádlù I: Czech Specialties

by Zandra Updated Jul 6, 2004

Huge Platter, U S��dl�� I, Prague

U Sádlù I is a typical Prague basement restaurant, very cozy. It's decorated with stuffed animals, weapon shields and knight armors, kind of a medieval style. The restaurant seemed pretty genuine, for example was the menu only in Czech (which is rare in Prague...) We came there early and were lucky to get a table, but I'd recommend to make reservations, because later at night, it got really crowded.

Favorite Dish: Well, I ordered a steak with roasted potatoes and a pepper sauce, and it turned out to be the best meal I had in Prague! The meat was perfectly grilled. Some friends had the big platter (see the pic) with a little bit of everything, and it was also very good. Six people shared it, but it'd have been enough for at least eight, especially after having had soups for starters (they were very filling!)

• barbipez's Profile Photo

U Sadlu: decor and food both great

by barbipez Written Apr 1, 2004

yum yum!

the ambience - unique. you're led down a stairwell that's similar to going down to the cellars of a castle. once down to the restaurant, the walls hold skins, torch-like lights, and other medievel weapons, pictures, etc.

the food - i've only been with groups and ordered a platter of food to share...it was great. like eating at king arthur's table...pick and chose as you please (or have to fight for!)

Favorite Dish: it's nice because it's good food in a neat setting.

be careful as if you go, the waiters try to sell you this one nice platter of food that's way more expensive than a typical platter because it includes more pricey meats such as duck, ribs, etc. whereas, the platter i liked included easier to eat meat - steak, chicken breast and pork steak.

and the veggies on each platter are Delicious! fresh and not over cooked.

• Business Travel

• Zuzka's Profile Photo

U Sadlu: Medieval style restaurant with Czech cuisine

by Zuzka Updated Jul 1, 2003

restaurant U Sadlu

Visited not only by tourists. Delicious eating for reasonnable prices. Typical Czech cuisine (until 4 p.m. very cheap), Czech bier. Very nice interiors (medieval style).
    Only one default: still in 2001 they did not take any credit cards.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• TerezaJ's Profile Photo

U Sadlu: U Sadlu

by TerezaJ Written Aug 26, 2002

The decoration of this cavernous restaurant is made from axes, swords,and suits of armor on the walls.

Instant Answers: Prague

Comments

Hotels Near U Sadlu
4.5 out of 5 stars