U Vejvodu, Prague

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 10 Reviews

Goulash and two types of dumpling
    Entrance
    Perfect for people-watching
  • geordieontour's Profile Photo

U Vejvodù: enjoy the culture including the smoke Cloud!!!

by geordieontour Updated Mar 22, 2011

the entrance

I always end up here when in prague maybe because the food is cheap , the beer is def cheap at 32 k, 2 areas to sit in either the bar where you will sit in a cloud of smoke from other peoples, comes as a bit of a shock when you are used to non-smoking, or there is the large beer hall which is smoke friendly, service is quick and friendly, but I object to the waiters telling me how much the service charge should be, this only happened with this chain of pubs ie the same happened in the other 2 pubs, but overall great for a drink and a quick meal.

Favorite Dish: all the local dishes plus the beer either dark or light

• leics's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Busy, comfortable pub/restaurant....

by leics Updated Apr 3, 2010

Perfect for people-watching

We ended up eating here twice. Although it was near our hotel, so were hundreds of other places to eat....but we just liked the atmosphere in this one.

We liked the fact that most of its customers were locals, that its waiters were smiley and pleasant and polite (and super-efficient), that we could sit on the balcony and people-watch to our hearts' content....and that the food was both well-cooked and reasonably-priced (beer is good too).

The buildings housing U Vedvoju were once a brewery, some of which dates back to the 1400s and much more to the 1600s. I got a glimpse of a beautiful painted ceiling through the upstairs window one night (no public access to that bit, sadly). The website has an excellent history page (in English).

We had goulash one night (very tasty). On the other, I had a starter only (quite enough for me..portions are huge!) and my friend had beef. All the meals were very pleasant indeed, although so filling neither of us had room for any dessert.

Mind you, we also saw many people happily chomping their way through vast pork hocks, or plates of meat...

Two meals, two small beers and a coffee each came to much less than 20GBP (2010), which I consider excellent value.

Recommended: and you need not worry about staff here fiddling the bill or automatically adding 10% for a tip (which happened in a couple of places we visited).

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• mirchica's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Typical Restaurant

by mirchica Written Apr 20, 2009

This is typical Czech restaurant, they serve mostly Pilsner beer and different kind of dishes. Also on every table there are sesame rings – very popular in Czech Republic and Germany. There are 10 of them on the table and when the waiter takes the bill he counts them ;).

• mbsimjam's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Great beer, great atmosphere

by mbsimjam Written May 29, 2007

U Vejvodu is a huge beer hall, which is one of the few places that is set up to serve Pilsner Urquell from huge vats, as opposed to regular kegs. This makes the beer SO much better tasting, and just simply enhances your drinking experience.

The food there is a bit overpriced (tourist prices), but the food is good...not amazing, but very good for a place that caters mainly to tourists.

Come here for the great tasting beer and the grandeure of the beer hall. It is a good time!

Favorite Dish: The beer is the best part of the menu. Try it and love it.

• ann500's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Disappointing Popular Restaurant

by ann500 Updated Nov 25, 2006

I didn't really like this restaurant, although a lot of people seem to like it and expats rate it as a good place to go. Our food was not really tasty - certainly nothing special and some of it a bit strange, though the soup was acceptable and the beer was good. I felt the food was standard tourist fare, at least that's what it tasted like.

I was with a tour group (they cater to groups as well) that was made up of a majority of Turks - businessmen and their wives - friendly, well-dressed people with good manners - and we were stared at throughout the whole meal by locals, and not in a nice way. I felt like the staff wanted to get rid of us too and I was happy to leave.

• gordonfong's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Great meeting place for food and drink

by gordonfong Written Nov 8, 2006

Roast knee of pork

There is a small bar area as you enter into the building. Can be busy up this end but if you can find a small table it can be pleasant being there. There is a larger hall if you go down the stairs. In that hall there are side rooms, a main area with bar, plus another floor above. I think this hall can get a bit smokey from one of my visits so best to check it out first.

It opens till 4am, which can be handy!

I really love the dark beer they serve. However, once I went and they said they didn't have any left. What kind of business are they running?!

On my visits to Prague this has become a usual haunt for me now.

Favorite Dish: Roast Knee of Pork. A huge piece of pig comes, in the form of the knee which is a lot of meat to get through. It is very moist, succulent and comes with a variety of spicy sauces and mustard on the wooden platter which holds it up in the air for you to cut and eat. I went for a side order of spinach just to have some vegetables to go with all that meat. I ordered also some dumplings but that was too much to handle in conjunction with the meat.

• JeSuisJill's Profile Photo

Vejvodva: Old Bohemian Specialites

by JeSuisJill Written Jan 27, 2006

I had GREAT inexpensive meals here for under $10 -- an appetizer and an entree .... You can also order a la carte which too is reasonably priced. They have streat, beef, fish, chips, EVERYTHING Czech and Internation as well as OUTSTANDING BEER!

Favorite Dish: I liked the Beef and Dumpling special.
    Also I liked the fried fish.
    The fried chicken is so-so ...

• svoures's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Popular but nothing special

by svoures Written Dec 31, 2005

U Vejvodu is a pub, beerhall and restaurant all rolled in to one, and a firm favourite with locals and tourists from around the globe. We visited this place for a quick drink on Xmas Eve and we were a bit dissapointed to find the place empty but a few locals, watching TV in a large LCD screen hanging near the bar. I assumed that the place was not busy because locals tend to celebrate Xmas Eve indoors with their families, but the high volume of the TV was a bit off putting.
    Personaly I was left a bit dissapointed after all the good reviews I have read about the place.

• Beer Tasting

• Zlur's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: Top points for me!

by Zlur Updated Oct 3, 2005

U Vejvodu is an all round good pub with a very welcoming atmosphere. It's popular among locals early evening, then gets a bit noiser later in the night with the younger crowds. All in all it was a great experience, delicious food & fantastic cheap beer 24.90 czk!!! :) Pilsen I miss you!

Open from Sun-Thu 10:00-02:00; Fri-Sat 10:00-03:00

Favorite Dish: Beef stroganov... wow!

• barbipez's Profile Photo

U Vejvodu: pilsner urquell original restaurant...

by barbipez Written Jun 2, 2004

LARGE restaurant, good prices, good food. a more traditional atmosphere. one of the fave dishes customers like to order is the pork knee that comes served on the spick thingy. good portions. good beer. and many times - especially during tourist season, an accordian player in house.

Favorite Dish: my fave dishes include the gulas with bread dumplings, and the chicken with broccoli covered in a cheesy sauce. also good are the onion rings!

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Prague

Comments

Hotels Near U Vejvodu
80 Opinions