This is the upper of 2 small squares in Lesser Town. It’s surrounded by architecturally important buildings.
There used to be a fountain here, but in the 17th century it was replaced by Plague Column, with sculptures reproducing the Holy Trinity and the Patron Saints of Bohemia by Geiger and Mayer.
This is a very interesting part of Prague, situated below Prague Castle with famous Neruda street, St. Nicholas Church and many other fantastic places.
It was founded in the 13th century by Premysl Otakar II, who wanted to create a home for the German colonists. At the time of Charles IV it expanded and soon the nobility and the wealthy chose this area as their permanent residence.
Charles Bridge connects it with Old Town.
pictured is ferninand brokof's statue of john the baptist in maltese square. this beautiful square was named after the priory of the knights of malta which used to occupy this part of the little quarter. in the 17th and 18th centuries the catholic nobility built baraque palaces on this square. today serveral of these palaces are now foreign embassies.
in 1597 jan fux, an ostrich feather merchant bought this house near the charles bridge. in 1606 he expanded the house and added a large fresco of three ostriches. today it is a hotel and restaurant. see my restaurant tips for more information.
the church of our lady beneath the chain is the oldest church in the little quarter. it was founded by king vladislav II in the 12th century. vladislav presented the church to the knights of st. john. this fortified monastery guarded the little quarter approach to the old judith bridge. in the 14th century the original romanesque building was demolished and the twin towers were erected that are seen today. a must see attraction in the church is karel sketa's painting of the virgin mary and st. john comming to the aid of the knights of malta in the battle of lepanto.
originally called the church of the holy trinity it was built in 1613 and was designed by giovanni maria filippi. after the battle of white mountain the church was turned over to the carmelites and was renamed after the victory. the star attraction of this church is the holy infant of prague. this wax effigy is one of the most revered images in the catholic world.
this impressive baroque palace was built for albrecht von wallenstein between 1624 and 1630. the palace was designed and built by italian craftsmen. the palace houses impressive works of art and the garden has a number of interesting statues.
the church of st. nicholas is located on little quarter square. this high baroque church was built between 1703 and 1761. the church was designed by father and son architects, christoph and kilian dientzenhofer. kilian dientzenhofer was also the architect of the st. nicholas church in old town sqaure. the must see attractions of the church is the dome fresco by franz palko, the statues of the church fathers, and the ornate carved pulpit
In a way this felt more comfortable to be on the other side of the river, away from the busy traffic of people, and glitter shopping. It is called Lesser Town, but maybe is More town. Not as many shops to see, but a great deal of restaurants and good detail on facades of buildings. The St. Nicholas church was built 1257, burned and rebuilt 1600-1700 era. The baroque fell is nice.
The Italian immigrants started to appropriate this street in 1500. Many of them were artists and artisans that worked to the reconstruction or to the decoration of the castle. Along the road you can see the ancient Italian Hospital, Lobkowicz Palace (center of the German embassy) and other beautiful Baroque buildings.
To the center of the square there is a sculptural group with St. John the Baptist made by Ferdinand Brokof, that belonged to an fountain erected in 1715 to celebrate the end of an epidemic of plague.
The Maltezske square takes the name from the center of the Priorate of the Riders of Malta that occupied this part of Mala Strana. In origin the buildings were Renaissance houses, but in the 17th century many buildings were restructured in Baroque style. Many of these buildings are center of embassies today.
On the north side of the square there is the ancient center of the Great Teacher of the Order of the Riders of Malta. The actual aspect of the building goes up again a years around 1720. The decorations of the doors and the windows were created from the shop of Matthias Braun.
The Church of Holy Mery Under the Chain is the most ancient of church of Mala Strana: it was built in 1100. Vladislao II gave it to the Riders of Malta. The church was to the center of the monastery strengthened that protected the access to the bridge of the Jiudit. In the fourteenth century the Romanesque church was destroyed and a new gateway and two square towers were added. The aisle was turned into the courtyard which connecte the towers with the Gothic church. In 1640 the church was restored in Baroque style by Carlo Lurago.
The interior of the dome and frescos of the nave are made by Vaclav Vavrinec Reiner . Over the altar you can see two copies of paintings of Rubens: The Martyrdom of St Thomas and St. Agostino. The originals ones are in Sternberg Palace.