Despite its name, New Town Hall was built almost at the same time as the Old Town Hall - the name refers to its location, in Prague's Nové Město, rather than to the time of its construction. However, it does look much more recent since, like most buildings in the area, its architecture was greatly modified in the 19th century. Only its original Gothic tower remains to remind people that this was the site of Prague's first defenestration when, in July 1419, a mob demanding the release of prisoners stormed the tower and threw 15 city officials out the window. The few who managed to survive the fall were killed by those who had remained outside. Up until 1784, Nové Město was one of the four independent towns that were united to form the city of Prague - the others were Hradčany (Castle Hill), Malá Strana (Little Quarter), and Staré Město (Old Town). The town hall then became obsolete and today it is used mainly for social functions and cultural events, although its tower remains open to visitors on a daily basis.
New town hall was first time mentioned in 1377, but later, in 15th century, newer constructions were added. The oldest part is high tower now. In the 16th century building was redecorated in renaissance style. Till the times of Josef II (1784) building was operated for administrative, municipally purposes, but later – as a prison.
New town hall is famous due to event of religious war in 15th century. In 1419 hussites asked councilors to free their followers, but answer they got was negative. Contra-action was an assault of building. It caused the death of councilors, some were killed throwing them through the windows, and some were deadly beaten.
the new town hall is located on charles square in new town. the new town hall dates back to the 14th century. it's gothic tower has added in the 15th century. when the city of prague was consolidated in 1784 it ceased to be used as a municipal administration building. later it became a courthouse and prison. today it is used for cultural and social events.
The new town hall is at the northern end of Charles Square. It has a large tower so you cant miss it. Different buildings make up this town hall built between, 14-16th century. Inside is a Chapel to Our Lady, 2 gothic halls and a renaissance hall. During the time the hussite movement was splitting from the catholic church 2 catholic councillors were thrown to their deaths in 1487 from the windows by hussite followers.
The New Town Hall is actually everything but new. It was started to build in 15th century and it took almost 50 years to complete. In 16th century it was remodeled to Renaissance style. It hosts a chapel and two halls, one in Gothic and one in Renaissance style.
The town hall is open to public from May to September Tuesday - Sunday from 10.00 to 18.00 h.
One of the more peaceful parts of the city when I was there, was Charles Square. It was founded by Charles IV as a cattle market and the focal point of Prague's new town. The New Town Hall (pictured here) was built between 1377 and 1418 (and they call that "new"??). The square has been a park since the mid-19th century and is a great place to kick back and read a book.