Jablunkov Tourist Traps

POLICE CAR IN JABLUNKOV
    by matcrazy1

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Jablunkov

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Sympathetic but still corrupt police

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 21, 2004

KATHY  AND  CZECH  POLICE  CAR

It seems that police in Czech Republic is much better in contacts with foreign visitors that it was in Czechoslovakia in 70' and 80' but...

Just one event in 2000 or so:
    My friend was driving Czech freeway (to Switzerland) and hmm... he drove too fast - 160 km/h where 100 km/h was allowed. Unmarked police car drove behind him, measured his speed and took pictures then passed him and forced to stop. Quite sympathetic policemen wanted 3,000 Kc fine. My friend had only 800 Kc or so (+ euros) but the policeman accepted only Czech currency (crowns) and wanted to drive with my friend to a bank to change euros to Czech crowns. But when my friend agreed... the policeman unexpectadly changed his mind and accepted 800 Kc with... no bills. Corruption? Hmm... shoudn't they forbide to pay tickets by cash? In many countries (including the USA) you can't pay ticket to policeman by cash, if you try you maybe arrested for... corruption.

Unique Suggestions: After 1990:
    As I know, foreigner must pay a ticket... by cash at place or police may take his/her car to guarded police parking lot till he/she pay the fine + the parking fee. Hmm... better pay at once. Don't you have enough Czech currency? I was told that Czech police was allowed to receive euro but I am not sure about it. My friend (above) was forced to pay in Czech currency.

Fun Alternatives: I always try to obey traffic rules driving abroad !!! But... errare humanum est. Just in case... be sympathetic, keep smiling and... take it easy :-).
    I drove tenths thousands of kilometers around Europe (and in the USA) and I paid a ticket outside Poland only once: in Austria (close to Czech) for speeding (64 km/h instead of 50 km/h) and the very sympathetic policemen accepted my Czech crowns with no problem - I had to skip diner in Czech that time:-(.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Rude, corruptive police in 70' and 80'

by matcrazy1 Written Feb 19, 2004

POLICE  CAR  IN  JABLUNKOV

I had very, very bad impressions from my contacts with Czech police or better to say Czechoslovak milice (VB) as it was in late 70' and in 80'. I heard the same impressions from my friends and parents many times that time. That's why I didn't like drive through Czechoslovakia. Hopefully it changed for better in Czech Republic, I am almost sure about it :-))).

Just one very unpleasant event in 1981:
    My father was driving approx. 50 km/h on a highway where only 40 km/h was allowed in 1981 (trip to Turkey). There were road warning signs "road in construction" there but... the road was OK and straight, it seemed someone forgot to remove the speed limit and warning signs. Never mind, there was VB car hidden behind a tree and unexpectadly 2 policemen came on the road and stopped us. One of them was very, very rude, he asked tenths of questions (like: what do you do for living, where have you been abroad, how many US dollars do you have etc.), he even wanted to take my father somewhere (to jail, I thought) and he was crying about messy Poland and crazy, trouble-making Polish people all the time. Hmm... it was time of Solidarity movement in Poland - anti-communist movement in opinion of Czechoslovak, communist mass media. The milicemen checked all our (numerous that time) papers a few times and our luggage as well. Finally one of them proposed to pay 50% of our fine and drive away immediately - no bills, no tickets. Usual corruption that time? Hmm... they were really in power that time.

Unique Suggestions: Before 1990:
    The only "correct" behavior in contacts with Czechoslovak milice (never mind you was right!) was... silence and following all their orders (including corruption proposals). No discussions! Or... a lot of big problems for you and NO efficiency in changing things (Soviet style communist system).

Fun Alternatives: Always obey traffic rules !!!

Instant Answers: Jablunkov

Comments

Jablunkov Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Jablunkov tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jablunkov sightseeing.