Mosty u Jablunkova Local Customs

HERBS

Most Recent Local Customs in Mosty u Jablunkova

Less competition?

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

Excuse me, it's more Czech than Mosty u Jablunkova local custom tip - I will transfer it to my new Czech page, soon!

There were more and more advertisings/posters on large tables, on walls located along main highways and on sport stadiums as well as you can see on my picture at least since 1990. But there were not so numerous and usually less colorful and not so heavy lighted as I used to see in western Europe and even in Poland recently. Was it a sign of less competition in Czech economy?

AT FOOTBALL/CRICKET STADIUM IN MOSTY U JABLUNKOVA

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Discounts but not happy hour!

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

There was small blackboard hang on the wall by the entrance to many local, Czech places to eat and drink, except chain fast food restaurants like McDonald's. Reaturant or bar/pub keepers used to write their advertisings with white crayon each day there: usually names of 1-2 drinks, beer or dishes offered at discount or just low prices this day.

One example: they offered two Czech beer brands at discount price: 14 and 17 Kc in this restaurant in Mosty u Jablunkova on my picture. Btw I never saw "happy hour" (all local drinks 50% off during this hour) advertisings in Czech. Beer/spirits were enough cheap to attract visitors, even in expensive Prague, I thought.

Generally it was not only Czech custom. I could see "menu of the day", "menu del dia", "plat de jour" etc. in many countries. But it's still not common custom, say, in Poland. I wonder why?

ENTRANCE  TO  RESTAURANT  IN  MOSTY  U  JABLUNKOVA
    • Beer Tasting

Local art?

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

Hmm... not at all. Just colorful pepper pot/box (or peppershaker - hmm... which word is correct in English, all?) in local restaurant. I missed any nice looking art in Mosty u Jablunkova. I just think they should add more colours to usually grey village - paint it, add some art etc.

COLORFUL  PEPPERSHAKER

Sunflowers... not by Van Gogh though

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

Mosty u Jablonkova ususally looked somewhat empty, sad and grey especially in not sunny days. There were not many colours added to the village, just some flowers by houses, green trees and... look at my picture. Nothing special, sunflower on... salt cellar (saltshaker) in local restaurant - not by Van Gogh, I suppose :-).

SUNFLOWER :-)))

Bylinky? What's that?

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

When the waiter brought us this small bottle on my picture in Hotel Beskyd Restaurant I didn't know what it was. The word "mlynek" was the same as in Polish and meant "small mill, hand-mill".
    As I noticed there were various, mixed, dry herbs inside. I guessed that "bylinky" meant just herbs like basil, oregano (is it from Oregon?), thyme or rosemary. They used to add some secret herbs to various dishes (to grilled fish - trout - for example) at least in this part of Czech.

HERBS

Pepper - the most common Czech spice

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

In most Czech restaurants the waiter brought pepper pot/box with black pepper to add to usually not spicy Czech dishes. Warning: sometimes it was glass pepper-mill looking like pepper pot/box but with... no holes in the top. Turn round the top of the bottle to crush peppercorns into powder.
    Btw pepper is "pepr" in Czech language, "pepr cely" means uncrushed pepper = peppercorns.

PEPR  CELY  =  PEPPERCORNS

Small dishes

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

It is local custom or maybe warning tip for hungry, not being on diet visitors.
    I found many times off the beaten path restaurants and a few times restaurants in various Czech towns and cities which served small or even very small (Japanese - size :-) dishes. Hmm... the price was not always so small (in Czech way). Look at the weight of each dish marked in the menu ("jidelny listek"). It was often only 100 g (3.5 ounce).

But... don't worry, in all touristy places there were restaurants which served "American-size" dishes :-). And there were always larger dishes to choose from in each restaurant.

SMALL  CZECH  DISH

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Coffee served in... a glass

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 2, 2004

They used to serve coffee in... glasses of various shape instead of ceramic cups in off the beaten path restaurants, not only in Mosty u Jablunkova, in both Czech and Slovakia.
    I could see coffee served in simple round glasses in few hidden places (= nowhere :-) in Poland and quite many places in Romania, Bolgaria and former Soviet Union (Ukraine now) in the past.
    OK, no problem, but coffee served that way was almost always terrible in taste and flavour :-(((.

COFFEE IN GLASS IN HOTEL BESKYD RESTAURANT

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

They love football/cricket and... beer

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 29, 2004

Mosty u Jablunkova always looked somewhat empty and not alive for me, especially since the main traffic (on Highway E-75) started to skip the village that is since 2001 or so when new highway passed by west of the village was completed.

So, where to meet the natives?
    There were two places I noticed:
    1. On Saturday or Sunday football/cricket games,
    2. In local pub/bar esp. this one which serves the cheapest beer, after football game, in weekends and in late afternoon and early evening.
    Hmm... it's not Spain. They used to go to sleep or come back home from a bar/pub at time when life started in Andalousia, Spain that was at, say 7-8pm on business days and max. 9-10pm on Friday and Saturday.

FOOTBALL  GAME  SPECTATORS
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Mosty u Jablunkova

Comments

Mosty u Jablunkova Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Mosty u Jablunkova local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mosty u Jablunkova sightseeing.

View all Mosty u Jablunkova hotels