Jesenik Travel Guide

En suite

Jesenik Things to Do

Tourist Info Office 1 more image

by suvanki Written Aug 15, 2010

This information Centre is a Tourist Information Centre, which is Czech Tourism certified or an AITC member (Identified by the green square containing the letter i (which looks like a 1 with a dot above) Information signs that are green circles containing the letter i are non - certified.

I came across it in a small covered mall just off the main Square.

I didn't have time to go inside, but I grabbed a tourist guide from the rack outside

As well as tourist information, books and guides, you can purchase souvenirs, post cards and locally produced crafts

Open
    Mon - Fri: 09:00 - 18:00

Sat: 09:00 - 13:30

Sun: 09:00 - 13:30

by suvanki Written Aug 15, 2010

I only had a short time to look into this church. It is one of the coldest churches I've ever been in. Although it was quite warm outside, stepping into the church, it felt icy cold.

I'm afraid that I couldn't find any information about this church while I was there, and I'm having no luck searching by Google etc.

All I can tell you, is that it was quite attractive , with its yellow and white colouring- both inside and out! The stone bas relief above the door was quite interesting (pic 3 and 4), and made me realise that this church was older than I had first thought.

There was quite a decorative pulpit, and a large glass lamp, topped with a gold crown (pic 2)

I only stood in the entrance, so didn't get to see the altar close up.

I'm hoping to find out more about the history of this church-and at least its name!

• Religious Travel
    • Architecture

Jesenik Market Square and Town Hall 4 more images

by suvanki Written Aug 15, 2010

As with most towns that we'd visited in Poland, Slovakia and now the Czech Republic, the Market Square is the centre of the town or Village.

The Square in Jesenik was surrounded by some attractive buildings, some housing shops, offices or a church.

There are a few small fountains, and seating.

The attractive central building with the clock tower is the Town Hall.

As we only had a short time to explore (We had to get to Wroclaw by the afternoon) I didn't get to have a close look at the Town Hall, or linger long in the Square.

I picked up a Tourist Guide of the Olomouc region,which includes Jeseniky but it had no information about the town of Jesenek. It would appear that any tourist information concentrates on activities and sights outside the town itself, which is a shame.

As soon as I find more info I'll add it here.

• Hiking and Walking

Jesenik Restaurants

My breakfast 2 more images

by suvanki Updated Aug 15, 2010

We called here for breakfast/brunch before setting off on the next leg of our road-trip - to Wroclaw.

As well as a chance to re-fuel, it was a chance to get rid our Czech Crowns, as we were returning to the land of the Zloty!

I spotted a familiar treat-a sweet bun with a cheese filling, which I'd enjoyed a day or so ago. As well as the sweet black seed topping, which I think is poppy seed, this had an additional jam like splodge! With this, I had a glass of cherry tea.

There was a selection of sweet and savoury pastries, as well as confectioneries, crisps, chocolates, ice cream, teas and coffees.

There were also bottles of Spirits, including bottles of a local drink-Jeseníky Priessnitz liquor, which is made from 12 herbs and citrus fruits- I wish I'd exchanged more money - it sounded quite nice!(pic 3)

Apparently, this liqueur is named in honour of Vincenz Priessnitz, who was born near Jesenik. He is famous for discovering the healing powers of the local water, and for creating the first ever hydrotherapy centre

CLICK here for more info about Vincenz Priessnitz

Priessnitz is also the name of a rock band, that was formed in Jesenik in 1990 to hear some of their musicIt reminded me a bit of the intro to Pulps 'Do You remember the first time'

HelaX Restaurant/Pizzeria/Cocktail Bar 4 more images

by suvanki Written Aug 15, 2010

As everywhere else in Jesenik appeared to have stopped serving food (22.00hrs) we headed back to this restaurant which was part of our hotel (Hotel Staric)
    We had been hoping to try some local cuisine. This restaurant specialises in Italian food.

While waiting for our meal, I enjoyed a glass of wine. Our waitress was friendly and helpful. Our food was well presented, hot and tasty.

Modern comfortable furnishings and decor, with seating for 50 diners plus cocktail bar area. Tables outside also (Where we enjoyed a coffee next morning)

20 kinds of pizza , Italian pasta dishes , steaks , mixed salads , desserts , pancakes etc.
    A wide selection of alcoholic and soft drinks , cocktails , Italian coffee and chocolate , beer, Gambrinus 11, Pilsner Urquell 12 varieties of wine.

Open Mon - Thu : 8:00 - 24:00 , Fri - Sat : 8:00 to 3:00 pm , Sun : 8:00 - 24:00

Food served Mon - Thu : 8:00 - 23:00 , Fri - Sat : 8:00 to 2:00 pm , Sun : 8:00 - 23:00

Free delivery of pizza and other dishes from the menu within 10km ( minimum order CZK 150)

Free WIFI

Car Parking - 100metres away in Heroes Square

Favorite Dish: I chose a chicken dish in sauce, which was very tasty, it came with roasted potatoes and vegetables which were served in courgette parcels (see pic 2)

We returned next morning for Italian Coffee.

A pleasant place to eat, or enjoy a late night drink.

I'm afraid that I can't remember how much we paid (we had a kitty to pay for our meals etc)

• Hiking and Walking

• Jesenik Hotels

0 Hotels in Jesenik

Jesenik Transportation

SueT feeding the parking metre 1 more image

by suvanki Updated Aug 15, 2010

We travelled to Jesenik by hire car, which we'd rented in Krakow. After spending the night in the Slovakian town of Zilina, we headed along Route 484, where we crossed the Slovakian/Czech Republic border. We were glad of the Sat Nav!

Apart from a long wait not long after crossing the Czech border, the journey wasn't bad. Apparently July1st -August 31st are the busiest times for holiday Traffic.

ABA roadside assistance tel 1240
    Police 158
    paramedics/emergency 155
    Emergency 112

Metred parking in the Market Square.

Petrol Stations

Standard filling stations

Petrol corp Javornik
    AB Oil Javorník
    Agip Jeseník - Sumperk street, intersection and I/44 I/60
    Czech Benzina Ves - Poland Street , 2km from the road I/44 Jeseník towards Poland
    OIL Granite Team - I/60 road before the village
    Petrol Golden Hills - in the direction of the village Krnov

LPG stations :
    Wholesale Pribyl s.r.o. - Jesenik , Lipovská 96.
    Czech gas Lime In the centre

There is a train Station at Jesenik - though I'm still trying to find out about the routes for trains and buses

Jesenik Shopping

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Buy your souvenirs and post cards here

by suvanki Updated Aug 15, 2010

Although Jesenik itself, appears to have missed out as a tourist place (it appears to be a base for the attractions to be visited outside the town-I can't find much information about the towns churches/Market Square/Town Hall etc) This shop stocks post-cards and a selection of souvenirs.
    I bought some post cards here.
    There are the usual tat keyrings/ plastic toys as well as some pottery etc.
    They also sell some toys and stationery

Another place to buy souvenirs/ crafts/ books is the tourist information centre, which is located in a small mall Off the main Square (see my Things to do tips)

What to buy: I bought post cards to get rid of my last few Czech crowns

What to pay: from a few crowns upwards!

Instant Answers: Jesenik

Comments

Jesenik Travel Guide
Map of Jesenik