Olomouc Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Olomouc

CAR PARKS

by balhannah Written Jan 23, 2014
    Park 'n Pay Olomouc

Favorite thing: We were getting around Olumouc with a car, so we had to find a car-park. What we used were the parks where we purchased a parking voucher from a parking ticket machine. We liked these as we could choose how long we wanted to park for.
    Parking is allowed in designated lots with a parking voucher for a maximum of 2 hours.
    Mon - Fri: 9.00am - 6.00pm
    Parking fee: 20 czk per hour

We did see parking stations but didn't use them.
    This website has locations in Olomouc and prices

• balhannah's Profile Photo

FINDING THE HISTORIC SITES.

by balhannah Written Jan 22, 2014
    Look for these!

Favorite thing: The first place I visit in a new town is the Tourist Information centre, especially to see if they have a walking map, whether for free or for a euro.
    If you haven't a map in Olomouc, then there is no need to worry. Just walk around the old city centre, get lost, enjoy, but most of all, look beside entrance doors for signage like in my photo.
    When-ever you find one of these signs, you have found an important historical sight. They are around everywhere, and as you can see, they tell you all about what your viewing.

• Hiking and Walking

DREAM BUBBLE LAUNDROMAT

by balhannah Written Jan 21, 2014

Favorite thing: Finding a Laundromat in the Czech Republic is little like finding a needle in a haystack!

Well, in Olomouc, I managed to find the Dream Bubble Laundromat located in the old town. I must admit it was hard to find and there wasn't anywhere to park the car, so we had to double park, I got out with the washing and my husband came back and picked me up.

The Dream Bubble was located downstairs in an old building. Lucky for me, this was a Laundromat where I could do my own washing & drying OR have the lady do it for me, which meant leaving it overnight - of no use to me.
    I bought washing powder there for the wash.
    The woman was pleasant, and could hardly speak any English, but somehow, we managed to work things out. There was a comfy lounge in the Laundromat and I had taken a book with me to read. When finished, she offered to fold it for me, a part of the service, I didn't worry though. I was really happy with the service and pleased I had found this Laundromat.
    Much cheaper than at Hotels!

THE PRICELIST IS

Washing gel / 1 dose 20 CZK
    Fabric softener / 1 dose 15 CZK
    Stain remover / 1 dose 10 CZK
    Paper softener in the dryer / 1 piece 10 CZK
    1 dose - scoop (cap) of selected resource.
    You can use your own washing powder.

IRONING 1 kg / 65 CZK
    SHIRT IRONING piece 1/30 CZK every fifth piece for FREE

You must be there 150 MINUTES BEFORE CLOSING TIME for self -service washing & drying laundry
    Standard time of washing + drying takes about 2 hours.
    Entry to Ostružnická street by car is allowed to 10 am and then after 6 pm

ADDRESS Ostružnická 21 Olomouc 77900

OPERATING HOURS
    Monday / Wednesday / Friday 9:00 to 4:00 p.m.
    CLOSED Tuesday & Thursday.

• Women's Travel

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Take Your Time, and Plan Enough Time

by Kathrin_E Updated Oct 5, 2013

The closest we got to the cathedral - what a pity

Favorite thing: Plan enough time for a visit to Olomouc. This city has heaps to offer. It cannot be covered in a few hours. It is still on few tourists' itinerary yet, for reasons unknown to me - ignorance and lack of research? Olomouc's inner city is said to have the second largest amount of cultural heritage monuments in the Czech Republic, after Prague. The old town is widespread. Walking all its length over to the cathedral will consume quite some time.

I visited on a tour and all we had were about three and a half to four hours. That involved lunch break (grabbing a coffee and a quick bite and then running off to explore the closer surroundings of the main square) and a guided tour of the old town including visits to a couple of churches. This was far too short. The tour did not take us further than the churches of Mary of the Snow and St Clara - we did not even get close to the cathedral and bishop's palace. Nothing against our guide - the tour was good and well-filled - but the visit just served to give me an idea of the place (which was the purpose of me joining that tour). I hope to return some day with more time at hand to explore the city more thoroughly at a relaxed pace. It is worth it.

• Architecture

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Pack light...

by Kathrin_E Written Oct 2, 2013

Favorite thing: ... which is always a wise idea, and look for furniture trucks, LOL. I spotted one with this cute picture in the main square, and later saw a second one in town, so I assume that this is a local company.

• Askla's Profile Photo

How to find the objects.

by Askla Written Dec 12, 2012

Favorite thing: I have put links to Google Map in my tips to make it easier to find the objects mentioned, when possible to get the right position. The links are marked in italics. Unfortunately Google Map isn't very precise and too often points to other buildings than the wanted one.

• Askla's Profile Photo

The town itself.

by Askla Written Nov 12, 2011

Favorite thing: Olomouc is a nice and beautiful place - as soon you don't need a wheelchair or have any difficulties with walking hilly and steep, cobbled streets which is the prevailing kind in the old town area.

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Free Concert

by Skibbe Written Sep 6, 2011

Fondest memory: My favorite memory here came the last night when I was walking back to my hotel. I went past a church and heard a concert from a symphony and chorale. I decided to check it out and walked right in to the last hour of a beautiful concert in a large, nearly full church. It was like great music was just everywhere I went in the Czech Republic, even when I wasn't looking for it.

• Music

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Information centres

by Imbi Updated Oct 11, 2003

Favorite thing: There are two information centres in the city centre.
    One is one Horni Namesti, right in front of The Holy Trinity Column, where you can buy tourist books about Olomouc
    The other information is next to Astronomical Clock. They offer free maps and handy leaflets about different destination of Olomouc.

• PetrOlomouc's Profile Photo

I recomend to visit Wencesla's...

by PetrOlomouc Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: I recomend to visit Wencesla's Square where there are the St.Wencesla's Cathedral and the Romanesque Premyslide Palace.

Fondest memory: The central square (Horni namesti)is a place where there all the architectal styles meet.

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

Electric supply Europe continent.

by alectrevor Written Sep 24, 2013
    Wall double plug.

Favorite thing: If you are from the UK , for your laptop, phone, shaver etc, you need an adaptor that changes from 3 pin to continetental 2 pin. Buy in UK for small amount..

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Written Aug 23, 2009

Favorite thing: Olomouc is beautiful old town in the eastern part of the Czech Republic. It has few big squares, beautiful buildings and monuments and some impressive
    churches and cathedrals.

• jmarkoos's Profile Photo

by jmarkoos Updated Jan 24, 2003

Neptune's fountain

Favorite thing: Neptune's fountain in the Lower Square by M.Mandik from 1683 and in the right side the Marian Plague Column from 1716-1723

• jmarkoos's Profile Photo

by jmarkoos Updated Jan 24, 2003

Romanesque palace

Favorite thing: Entrance to the Romanesque palace-national cultural memorial in Wenceslas Square,next to the entrance to St.Anne's chapel.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Turtles in Olomous

by matcrazy1 Written Nov 7, 2002

The turtle fountain

Favorite thing: Do the turtles live in Olomouc? No, there is only one (exept animal's stores): in Horni Namesti (Upper Square) called Zolw.

Instant Answers: Olomouc

Comments

Olomouc Favorites

Reviews and photos of Olomouc favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Olomouc sightseeing.