Decin Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Decin

• C. SVYCARSKO TURIST INFO

by jiveatfive Updated Oct 15, 2008

C. SVYCARSKO TURIST INFO offers accomodation reservation services in hotels in Czech Saxony throughthe web www.ceskosaskesvycarsko.cz . They ask you to send a fax with your credit card data. Then they are supposed to send you a hotel voucher by email.
    I send that fax on the 16/06/2008, booking a room for the 24/06. On the 23th I was still waiting for the voucher so I emailed them asking to cancel the operation. When I arrived at the hotel they didn't have any notice from C.Svycarsko and I had to pay the bill in cash.

C.Svycarsko nevertheless billed me for a service they had not provided, I emailed them again, attaching a copy of the bill from the hotel and did not receive a single answer from them.

UPDATE !
    In september I received an answer, in October I was refunded.

Thanks Svycarsko

• Foreigners beware!

by Djkrysa Written Apr 30, 2005

I lived in Decin for several months in 1998. I would not advise staying there for more than a day. The old town is well worth a visit but the rest of decin(and its sister town Podmokly) is dismal.

The town is close to the German and so attracts a large number of rather unsavoury tourists, mostly looking for prostitutes(of which there are many). I was constantly hassled whenever I went out (one time in the middle of a supermarket when I was doing my weekly shop!). Even female friends of mine suffered from this.

If you go to a restaurant without a Czech companion(speaking a little Czech is not enough) you will routinely be overcharged by 200 - 300%. The favourite trick is to give you a german menu with vastley inflated prices. Another is to add invented service and cover charges(Czech restaurants do not add a service charge). Tipping is also not a tradition here(most staff are reasonably well paid). Often they don't return your change and if challenged say they thought it was a tip.

During my time in Decin I was attacked twice, once with a knife, for no other reason than I was foreign. I may have been unlucky but I have heard many similar stories. Avoid Decin centre after dark (especially the station)

In conclusion, unless you have Czech friends who can show you around, avoid Decin like the plague.

Instant Answers: Decin

Comments

Decin Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Decin warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Decin sightseeing.