Rungsted Travel Guide

Rungsted Things to Do

• DariyA's Profile Photo

by DariyA Updated Apr 4, 2011

I realise that being a huge Karen Blixen fan, I might be subjective, but really, this is the cosiest and the most charming museum I've been to. I visited there in January 2008, very obviously off-season, and was fascinated to discover that I was in fact the only visitor at that point of time.
    A very nice lady at the ticket desk simply took a key, led me to Karen's private rooms and devoted the next hour in a half to walking me around and narrating millions of most interesting things about the house and Blixen's life.
    It felt like we are just whiling away the time waiting for the hostess to arrive, and like once she is there, we will all sit together in the dining room, drink tea, talk about safari and listen to Mozart on Finch Hatton's gramophone.
    This was truly one of the most amazing experiences in my life. If you are a Karen Blixen fan, this place is a must. To say you will be rewarded is an awful understatement :))

• Trains
    • Museum Visits

• gordonilla's Profile Photo
    A snowy depiction of Karen Blixen's Gravestone 4 more images

by gordonilla Written Feb 6, 2006

Pleasant grounds and woodlands of the Rungstedlund Foundation - a bird sanctuary and quiet places to sit and think. The grave of Karen Blixen is located within the grounds.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo
    Museum Signage 1 3 more images

by gordonilla Written Feb 6, 2006

As many people know Karen Blixen is one of denmark's major literary figures - oddly she initially had little sucess in Denmark or England. However her reputation was established in 1935 following the publication of Seven Gothic Tales in the United States.

Baroness Blixen was born (1885) and died (1962) in Rungstedlund - and spent most of her life living there, apart from her 17 years living on her Coffee Farm in Kenya. Check out the wensite for all the details of her interesting and diverse life.

The museum was openedin 1991 - and this was as a result of the funds generated from the Holywood depiction of Out of Africa - I myself prefer Babette's Feast.

Instant Answers: Rungsted

Comments

Rungsted Travel Guide
Map of Rungsted