Breweries/Beer, Copenhagen

Know about this? Rate It!

Gammel Strand Øl og Vin
    by illumina
  • It's An Airport Bar Jim, But Not As We Know It!
    It's An Airport Bar Jim, But Not As We...
    by johngayton
    cheap danish beer
    by cachaseiro
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

beer can be very cheap at times.

by cachaseiro Written May 16, 2007

cheap danish beer

Favorite thing: beer in copenhagen is generally quite expensive when bought in a pub, but that is mainly because the bartenserds get very high wages and therefor you have to pay a lot for the beer.
    beer bought out of the supermarket is suprisingly cheap though.
    if you stick to discount brands like "harboe" dansk pilsner" etc you can get them for around 25 euro cents per bottle.
    the quality is nothing special but it's as good as brans names like carlsberg and tuborg.
    when you also consider that you are allowed to drink in public in copenhagen, you can spend a very good afternoon sitting in a park or on a square with some local danes while getting pretty drunk.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Just Arrived And Fancy A Beer?

by johngayton Written Feb 23, 2012

It's An Airport Bar Jim, But Not As We Know It!

Favorite thing: On my last visit (Jan 2012) I flew into CPH arriving about lunchtime. Flying is, as we all know, very thirsty work - all that flapping of the wings, soaring the thermals etc and whilst you can swoop a few insects enroute for sustenance you can't get a drink unless its raining and even if it had been I have an allergy to water.

So it was with some relief when I finally touched down at CPH and headed straight for the little bar, Bryggeren, in terminal 2. Being lunchtime and with a couple of hours before I could check-in to my hotel I decided I'd start with a small beer - not to be. I did order one but the cheery barman pointed out that a small beer was 35 crowns whilst a large one was only 45.

Well I did the math - double the quantity for a mere 22% extra money - bit of a no brainer really!

It seemed such good value that I had to have a second one - HIC!

I love this little bar - it's not like an airport bar at all. The staff are always friendly, there's usually a bit of craic with the other customers and I've never quite managed to have a single beer here, and never a small one either.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Having a drink by the canal

by illumina Written Oct 1, 2012

Gammel Strand ��l og Vin

Favorite thing: On a sunny summers day in Copenhagen, it's lovely to buy a beer or two from a local shop (7-Eleven is OK, a shop like the one in the photo is even better) and go and sit in the sunshine, either by the side of a canal or in a park. It's considerably cheaper than drinking in the bars, and is something a lot of the locals do!

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Beer

by barryg23 Updated Jun 18, 2006

Delicious Tuborg

Favorite thing: Beer is popular in Denmark. Arriving in the airport, at about 10.30 am on a Saturday morning, one of the first sights we saw was a number of women relaxing enjoying their pints in the bar at the airport. And they weren't Brits on a hen night, these were definitely Danish women.

I really enjoyed sampling the various Danish beers during our trip. I had tasted Carlsberg before, of course, though just like having Guinness in Ireland, it did taste better in Copenhagen. There was also a dark version of Carlsberg, called special brew I think, which was delicious.

The other big brand is Tuborg which is almost as ubiquitous as Carlsberg. I found the taste similar enough to Carlsberg though there are a few different varieties which are well worth trying.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

A world Wide Favorite

by lmkluque Updated Nov 3, 2013

Fondest memory: Danish Beer!! Sorry the picture is so dark, the day was overcast but I was surprised to see such a huge bottle of Carlsberg beer along the road we were driving one. This is definitely not "subliminal" advertising here. I personally don't drink beer but know that Carlsberg is sold around the world and is a favorite in my own state of California.

The New Carlsberg Sculpture Museum was generously donated by Carlsberg beer creator, Carl Jacobsen.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Calsberg Horses!

by scbelle Written Apr 13, 2005

Sorry its blurry!

Favorite thing: Okay, this isn't really a tip, more of a story:

There was a young couple in front of us in line to go on tour of the Carlsberg Brewery. The tour is free, but the man at the counter asks where you are from for tracking traffic demographics. The couple said they were from Iceland, and the man says, "Oh, our horses are bigger than yours!" And everyone around chuckles...

So then we check in and say we're from the States, and the little man gets this forlorn look on his face before saying, "But not so large as the Budweiser horse!"

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Take a trip around the...

by cheekymarieh Updated Sep 18, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a trip around the breweries and see what they have to offer. After the tours both offer free samples for about half an hour.

Fondest memory: Arriving in the hall after the tour of the Tuborg tour and trying to drink as much as possible in the half hour in between making friends with a guy from the former Eastern Germany.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Do the brewery tour at Tuborg.

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: The ferry ride from Sweden to Copenhagen was a bit rough though not a particularly long trip. Once I had the ticket in my hand, my mind was racing. There it was in bold printing. Okay, it was in Swedish, so it wasn’t so easy to understand, but even with no linguistic capabilities, I could make out that we were headed for a place called Fra Tuborg Havn, and knowing that Tuborg was made in Copenhagen, I was sure that we were headed directly for the brewery. Everyone else thought me mad, but I just knew it had to be so. We joked how we might not see any of town now that we’d be caught up drinking right off the boat. Kristin and I had been visiting our Swedish friend, Patrick, in Falkenberg, a smallish southwestern coastal town, and it was he that suggested this day trip to Copenhagen. It was standard practice for the Swedes to do this trip merely to drink cheaply and do some shopping. This was ,of course, when the Swedish krone was stronger than the Danish one. This was no longer the case, and we’d be reminded of this constantly when out two friends met each other and we found out about the rivalry between the two countries. But as we neared land, it became apparent that we were indeed headed right for the brewery. Once ashore, I went directly for the office to see if tours were available and was told that one was going out immediately if we cared to join. Walking back to my cohorts with the biggest grin, they needed no words to know what our first call of business would be in the new country. The tour itself was standard fare, but it was a big and boisterous crowd as we came upon the tasting room at the tour’s end. Seated at tables seemingly covered in bottles of beer, it was explained that we could drink all we wanted but would only have about an hour to do so. Needless to say, it was a raucous swilling affair that had us drinking not only all the bottles on our table, but many from adjoining ones too! At the end, we were let out on the streets where we made from one pub to the next, bypassing lots of great squares in a parody of the old Monkees.

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo

Drink Carlsberg. I may be...

by rickyvilla81 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Drink Carlsberg. I may be wrong but I belive there is a street here near the brewery that is lined with pubs and the beer is pumped directly to the alehouses via pipes beneath the street! The Carlsberg is of a much greater quality than in the UK. The elephant label is the best.

Fondest memory: Singing in a karaoke bar when I had no money...on announcing my lack of cash, I was promptly bought drinks by most of the bar! Not bad for a little ginger geezer in shorts.

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Danish beer is kinda delicious.

by kimmo_v Written Jun 6, 2003

Favorite thing: Sitting on the outdoor terrace, sipping Carlsberg and watching peoples passing by.
    Maybe smoke a cigarette, too.

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Beer...

by kimmo_v Written Jun 6, 2003

Favorite thing: The danish really like beer(believe me, i know, cause i spend 4 days in Sweden with danish...), and therefore there are lot of pubs every where and the prices are decent.
    "Prost!!"

• Nobbe's Profile Photo

Whenever you are visiting...

by Nobbe Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Whenever you are visiting Copenhagen (day or night) don't forget to enjoy a Danish beer. And there are plenty to choose from.

Instant Answers: Copenhagen