Canals and harbour, Copenhagen

Know about this? Rate It!

Harbor
    by grandmaR
    Fyrskib No. XI (Lightship No. 11)
  • From cruise ship - possibly Frihavn Sydmole
    From cruise ship - possibly Frihavn...

Red and Green Markers

by grandmaR Updated Jan 18, 2014
    From cruise ship - possibly Frihavn Sydmole

Favorite thing: When we left the harbor on the ship, I went out on the promenade deck to take photos of whatever aids to navigation I could see.

There are three possible lighthouses to be seen:

Stubben (Frihavn Nordmole) This is an active lighthouse; A round tower with lantern and gallery at an altitude of 23 fet, painted green. The light flashes green. It is located at the end of a short breakwater on the north side of the northern entrance to København.

Kronløbsbassin also an active lighthouse with a continuous green light on a round cast iron tower (painted green) with a lantern at 20 feet.

Frihavn Sydmole - Located at the end of the long breakwater extending from the north side of the island of Trekroner, this is an active lighthouse which has a red flash. It is a round tower with a lantern height of 23 feet, and the gallery is painted red.

Islands with Red Arrows

by grandmaR Updated Apr 29, 2011

light with triangular hat

Favorite thing: I am always interested in ATONs (Aids To Navigation) and a friend said they envisioned me going around with my camera and photographing lighthouses everywhere. And that's not far from the truth, although I do photograph things other than lighthouses.

In any case, when we sailed out of Copenhagen, I saw what appeared to be red arrows, so I took photos of them. Then when I looked them up I saw that the name of these things was Middelgrundsfort Vest

The Middelgrundsfort is a fortress built on a shoal off the harbor of København. After many years of disuse, the fortress now houses a restaurant and conference center. Located about 3.5 km (2 mi) northeast of the harbor; accessible by passenger ferry. If it had not been so cold and rainy, I would have liked to take that ferry out there.

These objects were built in 1975. There is an osculating white, red, or green light depending on direction in a round lantern, painted red.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Cruise capital of northern Europe.

by cachaseiro Updated Mar 22, 2011

Another cruiseship in the harbour.

Favorite thing: Should you ever go on a cruise in the Baltics, then the odds are that you will start in Copenhagen.
    No city in northern Europe has more cruise ships arrivals than Copenhagen.
    The reason why is the combination of a big airport and a big harbour.
    During the summer months more than 600 cruise ships dock in Copenhagen harbour.

• Luxury Travel

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

by micas_pt Updated May 11, 2010

Detail in Nyhavn

Favorite thing: Even before I set foot in Copenhagen, I was longing to arrive in Nyhavn. The colourful houses, the weather beaten details of houses and boats, wood, brass, reflections on the water, and so much more, made me wish to arrive as fast as I could to Nyhavn along with my camera. The day we visited weather conditions (freezing cold!) and light weren't the best for shooting; neverthless, I enjoyed my time there with my camera a lot.

Nyhavn is home to some 17th century colourful houses situated along the waterfront lined with old wooden ships and vessels.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Danish Lightship Ten (Fyrskip X)

by grandmaR Updated Jul 11, 2009

Lightship from across the harbor

Favorite thing: I am always on the lookout for lighthouses or the rarer lightships. I saw two in Copenhagen. The first (photos 1 and 2) was one that was across from the Little Mermaid. The lights were displayed from a lantern atop the mainmast.

Fondest memory: This peripatetic lightship dates from1877 but is no longer active as she was decommissioned 1972. The 103 ft wooden lightship with light tower amidships, is painted red with white trim and a white horizontal stripe. This Danish vessel is said to be the world's oldest surviving lightship. During its long career it served many stations around the Danish coastline. Moored near Tower Bridge in London, it was converted into a restaurant in 2005. In February 2008 ir was moored at the Sun Pier in Chatham, on the Medway. On 10 May 2008, the ship was spotted under tow through the Kiel Canal in Germany, on its way back to the Baltic. By July the ship was in København, moored in the Refshaleøen neighborhood, where I saw in in June 2009

Photos 3 and 5 are of the Fyrskib No. XI (Lightship No. 11). It is now a private residence moored on the Frederiksholm Canal in Copenhagen, very near the Christiansborg Slot (Castle) which houses many of the Denmark government offices. The ship from 1878 was decommissioned in 1977. This ship was never powered (i.e. it was towed onto the site and anchored). It served from 1919 to 1977 on the Drogden station. In 1977 it was sold to an artist, Bo Bonfils, who built additional superstructure to serve as a residence and studio. The current owner, Stig Romain Andresen, bought the ship in 2005.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Christianshavn canals

by yooperprof Written Jun 20, 2006

nice colors

Favorite thing: I love the atmosphere of Christianshavn with its well-maintained waterways and the many vessels that ply them. Wouldn't it be nifty to live in one of Copenhagen's houseboats? Okay, I 'd want it to be one of the larger ones, with all the mod cons.

• Imaniac's Profile Photo

by Imaniac Written Oct 29, 2003

Nyhavn

Favorite thing: Nyhavn - or New Harbour, is an area in the center of Copenhagen. It sticks out from the rest because of the colors of the houses. They are all of different colors like yellow, blue or red. It is a great place for having a bite to eat or a few drinks.

• chancay's Profile Photo

Kopenhagen port

by chancay Updated Jun 11, 2003

part of the copenhagen port

Favorite thing: From the Copenhagen port you can go every day on almost cruiser like ships to other big harbour cities in Scandinavia as as well to Germany and Russia.

Distances in nautical miles from:
    Oslo 272
    St. Petersborg 680
    Stockholm 373

• Bjorgvin's Profile Photo

by Bjorgvin Updated Sep 23, 2002

Favorite thing: Nyhavn is still in active use as a port. Have a cold draught beer in front of the pretty old houses by the waterfront, or try some of the high quality restaurants along the harbor. Nyhavn is particularly pleasant on a warm sunny day, and it is only a short walk from the main pedestrian streets and Kongens Nytorv.

• cielazzurro's Profile Photo

Go to the Nyhavn, and have a...

by cielazzurro Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the Nyhavn, and have a beer in one of the many pubs on the waterfront.

Fondest memory: I loved the Nyhavn since the first time I saw it, the very first day of my Scandinavian holiday, when I walked from my hostel near the station till there because I couldn't wait seeing it. There is something magic in this place: brightly coloured wooden houses, lively pubs, street entertainers, sail-boats and plenty of fresh fish to eat in the bars. And so many people just wandering, feeling so happy to be there. There were many Danes (strange for a renowned tourists-area), and I had the feeling they were really proud of 'their' place. This is Copenhagen!

• goingplaces's Profile Photo

Although we didn't do this, I...

by goingplaces Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Although we didn't do this, I recommend taking a boat tour of the city. The tours are set up a lot like those in Amsterdam.

Fondest memory: We were walking around and I saw this one boat, which I thought was really cool-looking, so I took a picture. We came home and then watched a Copenhagen tour video (okay, so we do things a little backwards), and I think I have good taste. That boat, in the exact same location, is on the video cover.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo

Copenhagen

by Toshioohsako Updated Nov 25, 2007

Favorite thing: city architect, museum, fish restaurant

Fondest memory: Walking every corner of the town, having drinks at Nyhavn port

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

A New Opera House

by seagoingJLW Written Jun 12, 2004

New Opera House

Favorite thing: Copenhagen is in the process of building a new opera house. We saw ;it from the water when we took our boat ride.

• Theater Travel
    • Music

• CandS's Profile Photo

Nyhavn again...

by CandS Updated Aug 13, 2003

Nyhavn

Favorite thing: Nyhavn (New Port) is full of gorgeous little coloured houses/shops...it is a fantastic area for photos or for having a break and people watching... :)

• Tulin's Profile Photo

laid back and so simple!

by Tulin Updated Aug 12, 2003

Favorite thing: I would definetely take my friends to Nyhavn!!

Fondest memory: I like walking at Ströget, watching people at Nyhavn.It seems like life is so simple in Copenhagen. Love it!

Instant Answers: Copenhagen