Entertainment, Copenhagen

Know about this? Rate It!

Palads
  • ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Cinemas

by ValbyDK Updated Sep 15, 2010

Palads

Favorite thing: At the Axeltorv Square you’ll find a very colourful building which houses Palads - just one of many cinemas in the Copenhagen area. Most of the cinemas shows the mainstream movies, but Cinemateket in Gothersgade often has a special arrangement. Cinemateket is a part of the Danish Film Institute: Cinemateket

Movies are not dubbed but are screened in original versions with subtitles.

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Nyhavn

by Basaic Written Dec 22, 2009

Favorite thing: One day I was sitting in a bar in Nyhavn drinking a coke when I thought there was an eclipse. It was not an eclipse but a Danish Sailor who looked like a Blond haired blue eyed version of Bluto (from Popeye). He was about 2 meters tall and very muscular. He asked in a deep voice "Are you an American?". I thought I was in trouble; but I knew better than to lie it seems it is easy to spot Americans (although I was frequently mistaken for a German). I said yes. He grinned, said "I like Americans" and almost knocked me out of the chair slapping me on the back. He bought me some Danish Liquor. Shortly after there were several sailors around me and we were exchanging stories about our travels.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

New Architecture: Opera House

by yooperprof Updated Jan 19, 2007

What's Opera Doc?

Favorite thing: The Royal Danish Opera has a shiny new opera house to perform in, a gift to the country by the generous (and loaded) shipping magnate Arnold Maersk Mc-Kinney Møller. The “Operaen” commands a dominant position in the Copenhagen harbor, immediately across the water from the Royal Palace. Designed by the ubiquitous Danish architect Henning Larsen, it’s a handsome glassy pearl of a building, with a gem of a small theater providing an ideal stage for operatic voices.

In January 2007 I attended a performance there of Carl Nielsen's wonderful "Maskarade." The public spaces inside and outside the theater are all first-class. It's very pleasant that the theater is of moderate size, about 1200 seats, so there's an intimacy that is lacking in the gargantuan opera houses of some American cities. (Not to mention that it's so much better for the singers' voices!) An hour before each performance, the Opera houses sells a limited number of seats for half-price; this way I was able to purchase excellent seats for myself and my friend in the orchestra section. If you find yourself in Copenhagen when "Maskarade" is playing, I recommend it strongly: it may very well be the best Danish opera you'll ever see!

(The performance was sung in Danish, but the supertitles over the stage were in English, and there was an English-language synopsis in the program booklet. I do love Denmark.)

• Theater Travel
    • Music
    • Architecture

• jo104's Profile Photo

Tycho Brahe Planetarium - IMAX

by jo104 Written Jul 28, 2006

Favorite thing: I did not actually visit the IMAX but we did walk past here & thought it was a very unusual building. It shows digital 3D on a larger then life dome - showing documentary films of wildlife, foreign cultures, space travel etc.
    Each show starts with a brief description of the current night sky. The show lasts for an hour
    There are headphones with English translations

Imax films Adults DKK95
    3D films Adults DKK105

• bonio's Profile Photo

Well, if you like football, go...

by bonio Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Well, if you like football, go see a game. we saw Fc Copenhagen (fck) play local rivals AB. A 2-1 victory for AB and quite entertaining too, several players we recognised from their time in the UK, but fairly obvious why they were back in Denmark!! the standard was not great. Note the cheapest beer in town can be found outside the stadium before kickoff!! For more info on fcK their website is informative

Instant Answers: Copenhagen