Thoughts about Copenhagen, Copenhagen

Know about this? Rate It!

• Thoughts about Copenhagen
  • Thoughts about Copenhagen
    Rosenborg Castle
  • Marpessa's Profile Photo

Danish People

by Marpessa Updated Jan 31, 2006

Favorite thing: I have found the people of Copenhagen to be very friendly. Especially on my first night in the city, when I arrived late and got myself completely lost. I took a bus from the airport into the city, but missed my stop as I couldn't read the stop signs in the dark. I ended up going way past my destination and waited until I came to a stop in a well lit area before I got off the bus.

There was a petrol station across the road, so I went in and the girl there helped me to call a taxi and gave the driver instructions to where I wanted to go (I had gone way past where I was supposed to be). The girl was very friendly and went out of her way to help me get to my accommodation.

Other Danes that I met on my trip, like some at my hostel, I found to be helpful and friendly as well, especially in giving me tips on what to see in this beautiful city.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Denmark as a whole!

by seamandrew Written Jan 13, 2003

Andrew in Copenhagen

Favorite thing: Denmark,

there is so much to say about Denmark. This enchanting little country was just perfect. My wife and I fell in love with it. We loved the culture in Copenhagen, Legoland in Billund, the gorgeous drive along the E-20, and the beautiful shore near Esbjerg. Everyone spoke English and many spoke German (some even spoke other scandinavian languages as well!). The food is an acquired taste. However, it is much more enticing than Norwegian food (which I find great but many other's I know do not). If you're looking for a great place to fall in love, Copenhagen is a hot spot! Be sure to visit my Copenhagen page!

• tvor's Profile Photo

Modern City with lots of history

by tvor Written May 27, 2010

Sunny square in old Copenhagen

Favorite thing: A few impressions about Copenhagen:
    Definitely a coffee culture. Difficult to get a good cup of tea made the English way!
    Many hotels have free wi-fi for guests.
    Most definitely expensive for food and drink. Reasonable prices for a meal is anything under 150 dkk per person. Under 100 is better.
    Many bars and cafes want you to pay for the food order at the bar up front. Tip/Service charges are included in the cost, probably one of the reasons the price seems higher.
    Coffee and tea is often served in a glass, not a mug or cup.
    City is full of people on bicycles but there are lots of well marked bike lanes. But you have to watch for the cyclists!
    People have been really friendly and helpful. English language has not been a problem.
    Lots of parks and green spaces in the city. Three castles/palaces, lots of museums, large and small. Lots of attention paid to history.
    Lots of buildings painted bright colours, warm tones of yellows, oranges, reds mainly with some blues and greens. Beautiful in the sunshine
    the City Centre has lots of little narrow streets opening up to wide sunny squares lined with outdoor cafes and umbrellas. They often will provide blankets in case it gets chilly sitting outside.
    City is flat so easily walked, though cobbles can be hard on your legs or ankles. They do often provide "lanes" of flat flagstones to walk on instead of the cobbles which helps.

Fondest memory: Bright buildings under a sunny sky

• Snoopy2001's Profile Photo

A lot to see

by Snoopy2001 Written Feb 10, 2003

Just before I fell into the water . . .

Favorite thing: Strolling up and down the Stroget early on a Friday evening in the winter when it's snowing is my favorite activity. Wait a minute . . . no, sitting at one of the outside tables at any of the several restaurants (like Peder Oxe) on GrayFriar's Square (Gråbrødre Torv ) on a July evening at 10:00pm when it's still light . . . and quiet enough to hear conversations on the other side of the sqaure is my favorite activity . . . or maybe a visit to Ulrik's Bastion . . .

Fondest memory: It was snowing then sleeting and we couldn't find a place to park. So we drove around for about 45 minutes until we spotted a parking place that someone was pulling out of. We parked and walked around for another 30 minutes and then had dinner at Jensens Bofhus and drank a couple of beers and then drank a few more beers.

It was snowing pretty hard when we left Jensens and we'd had too much to drink to drive but my buddy didn't want to leave his camera in the car so we headed back to where we THOUGHT we'd parked. It was our second day in Copenhagen and we couldn't remember what kind of car we'd rented, where exactly we'd parked, and because every car was covered with 3 inches of snow it didn't really matter anyway.

We met 3 gorgeous girls coming out of a pub and pestered them until they realized we were harmless and they spent the next 90 minutes "helping" us look for our car. We found it, gave the tallest one the keys and asked her to drive us back to the hotel which she did. They refused to let us pay for a cab to get them back to their apartment.

• Take a walk down pusher street...

by kinky9kev Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a walk down pusher street in Christiana. Feel the vibe of alternative living and think to yourself, this is how life should be lived way from the conventions and restrictions of conservatism. Purchase some 'magic mushrooms' and try to come up on them in the Tivoli pleasure gardens. Tripping on the mushrooms whilst in the midst of the stunning kaleidoscope of the flower gardens is just sheer bliss and everything appears so gentle and serene.
    It was like reaching a higher level of Nirvana but only because the backdrop was Tivoli. Tivoli Gardens is a magical place where dreams can come true.

Fondest memory: The carousing, dancing and making merry in the bars and clubs of Copenhagen. The people that you meet in the bars and have fascinating, interesting conversations with strangers who end up being good friends. Basically I love meeting people, especially strangers and it's always good to make a connection with people, especially the Scandanavians.

• Uvic's Profile Photo

København is truly a...

by Uvic Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: København is truly a remarkable city. When leaving for class in the
    morning one needs to bring both shorts and a rain jacket as the weather changes
    a much as the fashion. In my Danish language class we truly have an
    international mix of individuals. Spain, Estonia, Poland, Italy, German,
    America and Africa are represented in my class and we all share the same
    feeling... that the Danish language is probably the hardest language in the
    world as the written words have no correspondence with the spoken language.

THe buildings and churches in København are on average 500-700 years
    old and the use of gold and other precious metals is breath taking. Tomorrow i
    am going to visit Christinia, a town where there are no laws and people
    live in good faith with each other. This area of town is controlled by an
    elected group of representatives within the community and the members of the
    community do not adhere to the same set of laws as the Danes outside Christinia. I will tell you more when i see it. I met two beautiful girls from Holland and another from Poland and together we are going to explore the city. I know that it is a popular tourist place as you can both smoke and drink herbs.

The consumption of alcohol in Danmark is extremely liberal. At the age
    of 15 one can buy a beer and walk the streets whilst drinking. In a store
    beer is $1.50 and a cola is $3.50-4. But in a restaurant a beer jumps to $10.
    Carlsberg delivers beer to our floor twice a week and my goodness can the
    danes ever drink. I would put them up against an Irishman or Scott any day. I am practicing to become an astute represent+ive of Canada.

If i can persuade any of you to come and see Europe you will surely
    fall in love with the culture and the people :}

• Degsy's Profile Photo

Copenhagen is a very...

by Degsy Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Copenhagen is a very beautiful, and unbelievably clean city. It boasts some fantastic architecture and also contains the best looking people on this planet (sorry to everyone that doesn't hail from thie Wonderful, Wonderful place).

Fondest memory: My fondest memory had to be the Danes! Like most other countries I have been to, the locals were really helpful and always had time to give you much needed guidance! As my Danish is probably as good as my Russian (!?!), all help was greatfully received!

• sunflower_tr's Profile Photo

City to live

by sunflower_tr Written May 19, 2006

Favorite thing: Copenhagen is a dynamic big city but also it gives a good chance to live peacefully. It is nice to have both.

Fondest memory: Danish girls are beatiful :)

• Festivals