Walking, Copenhagen

Know about this? Rate It!

• csordila's Profile Photo

Short weekend in Copenhagen

by csordila Updated Apr 22, 2009

Nyhavn

Favorite thing: If you have a spare weekend, Copenhagen would make a nice trip. A tour of the city includes usually bus tour, photo stops at a couple of scenic areas of the city, a boat ride around the harbor and canals. All visitors to Copenhagen eventually make their way to Radhuspladsen, which is a lively square, full of street entertainers at all times of day and night. With Indre By on one side and the Tivoli Gardens and the district of Vesterbro on the other, it offers easy access to most of the sightseeings of the city.
    One thing that Copenhagen doesn't have is a lot of skyscrapers! Other cities need skyscrapers to get visitors, Copenhagen reaches the same by with a little mermaid and an amusement park. What the visitor finds here is an experience of freedom that never needs to end.

Fondest memory: .
    Boat ride around the harbor and canals
    If the weather is nice during your visit, you may like to take a boat tour. A ride on the canals of Copenhagen is a great way to explore the city. These low-slung boats are much like those you can see in Amsterdam. Two companies offer basically the same four-language, hour-long tours. The Netto-Badene company provide tours for half the cost of its competitor. Having your picture taken with the Nyhavn is a great way to prove to your friends back home that you visited Copenhagen. These tours give you the city from a different angle, and are a nice way to spend the day.

Carlsberg Brewery Visitor Centre
    For you that know your lager, you will know that Copenhagen is the home of Carlsberg lager. The Centre takes you through the history of brewing beer and the past of the Brewery. Its a little more than just a "beer tour" , there are models of antiquated brewing machinery, old beer wagons and trucks, also an interesting selection of old photos and diagrams. The good news is that Carlsberg hand out 2 small beers free of charge at the end of your visit, much to everyone’s delight. These are probably the cheapest beer you'll find in Copenhagen! It is recommended to those who love beer and want to see how one of the best beers in the world has been made.

Rosenborg Slot
    This castle was built in the Dutch Renaissance style by Christian IV to use as his summer home. It now houses a museum and the treasury where the Danish royal jewels are kept.
    There is a public viewing room where you can admire the amazing collection of Crown jewels, which include Queen Margreth's emeralds and pearls. These are considered such a national treasure that the Queen is not allowed to take the royal jewels with her when she travels outside the country!!

• Singles

The Lakes

by Sjalen Updated Apr 15, 2007

Favorite thing: The lakes are a set of three ponds, created to improve the water situation and drain a marshy area north of the centre. Today, they mark the boundaries between Vesterbro/Frederiksberg, Norrebro and Osterbro areas of the city, and people from all these parts come here to jog, picnic, look at the swans, walk the dog or visit the restaurant pavilion in this picture (incidentally where famous smorrebrod maker Ida Davidsen had business before moving downtown), or trendy cafes around the Osterbro side.

• Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Birdwatching

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

General information II

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Nov 7, 2006

Copenhagen - Radhuspladsen

Favorite thing: Radhuspladsen is the main city square.
    The longest in Europe foot street Stroget begins at the Radhuspladsen. Stroget comes to an end near the picturesque channel Nyhavn keeping a spirit of Andersen's Copenhagen.
    The island of Slotsholmen lays to the east from Stroget. The history of the city began from there. There is a building of the Royal palace, the government of Denmark sits there today.

Christianshavn area cut up by channels and constructed under the decree of the king Christian IV for defense of the city is located opposite to the island. Besides several museums and a beautiful church, there is Christiania - "a free state" of hippies.
    There is the park and castle Kastellet with well-known water-nymph in the northern part of the city. New area of Norrebro is to the northwest from the city centre, and area of Vesterbro is to the southwest.

• Architecture

• imeley's Profile Photo

Walking through the streets of Copenhagen

by imeley Written Jul 17, 2006

H.C. Andersen Boulevard

Favorite thing: Copenhagen is a city that's easy to be oriented with. First of all, upon arriving at the Kastrup Airport, get a free copy of the map of Copenhagen (free!). Start your own journey... important places of interest are in fact by a walking distance unless you'll spend DKK 120 Hop On-Hopp-Off City Sightseeing Bus (tickets available at most hotels in Copenhagen & at City Hall Square) www.citysightseeing.dk. Wear a good walking sandal or shoes.

• Women's Travel

• alpikalpik's Profile Photo

walking and walking....

by alpikalpik Written Feb 20, 2006

Favorite thing: Summary C.E.O
    "I guess they have a nationalistic party ruling the small country, they have flags everywhere, I don t like such things.. I wouldn t like to live there, it seems boring.... Germany is much better, I met with some Turkish migrants was fun, girls are looking good, it s getting expensive when you drive to the north "
    I was walking a lot in copenhagen, I was alone travelling to Norway from Germany, and ended in CPH for a night -this was my plan
    I liked the busses and buildings.. They were slightly different than those ones in Germany
    Sky was grey and city was just living some normal march day. Not a real tourist season I guess
    I found a funny hotel..I thought it was cheap in the begining when I looked from outside..had no idea..
    then I entered there was something wrong in the hotel.. nobody was there...
    I walked up to upstairs then i found a bunch of people eaiting all together.. They looked like muslims and I said magic words "es salaam un aleykum2 and they tried to understand where was I coming from, so we met I was already going to eat with them..
    Our friendly meeeting took 10 minutes, then I found my self in the best room of the hotel, the rest was in construction...I planned to stay 1 night but they said stay for free the next day, so I stayed 2 nights instead of 1. I am great finding good contacts world wide
    This best room had a big bed , one of them later adviced me to find a girl.. I liekd those guys though
    And then copenhagen was rather empty, I went out and I ve understood I was just next to hauptbahnhof in german. I don t remember Danish...Then i saw some IDU -Intraveneous Drug USE ^rs. I have never seen such a thing on the street in my life. Just after that a blonde woman asked me If I want sex, And then she offered a very cheap price.. My inspector mind , suddenly realized this woman was a IDU too and in need of an urgent money, Sure I said no but these two little incident made me realized I was not in the safest place of the city.

Fondest memory: I had no plan just one night to kill and a look around..I saw a pub had 2 beers watched TV-great thing to do in a new city- then looked for a museum couldn t find I did not want to ask for one....
    Once I thought I should take a photo... I asked one guy he said he was in a hurry what a some busy weird people ...
    then I didn t even want to have a photo, it s a problem when you are alone...

then I don t remember that well more then 1.5 years before you know
    then I went to another bar one another day
    -met with a guy we made a photo -hehe
    he definatly had some problems, first he was speaking in english and living in denmark-
    In a very stupid bar quite early in the day...
    I don t know many other things.. then my phone ranged I was talking in turkish
    he heard that i guess came to me asked what I was doing there then we became friends for a few hours
    he told me he was "hunting" for tourists in sultanahmet in istanbul, got married with a danish lady and ended up there.... he invited me to a restaurant there was this kurdish chef working there, we ate like hell, didn t pay anything..great food!
    then we drank more beers and he told me all about his life which was interesdting for mee but not very interesting for you I guess..

the next day some more travel by chnce again some turkish youth these guys were even funnier!!! we made a car trip around the city.. They had same level of "geyik muhabbeti" kind of bullying each other and having jokes as my friends back home.
    I liked that we exchanged numbers but then i lost my phone in s bahn in berlin

we went to a canal I could imagine it must be a great city 100 years ago.. trade by ships, chess parties etc etc.

then i took a bus to Oslo.... what a journey

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

Latin Quarter

by Sjalen Written Nov 26, 2005

Greyfriars

Favorite thing: Touristy, but still very much Copenhagen, the Latin Quarters with their student atmosphere is buzzing with bookshops, gift shops and small restaurants. Many university faculties have moved to the suburbs today but there are still several left to make it stay interesting and fun. I love to stroll here and it is often where I find Christmas presents or go for a coffee in an antiquariat. A favourite with many is Greyfriars Square (Gråbrodretorv) with its cheerful facades and good restaurants.

• Study Abroad

Waterfront walks

by Sjalen Written Mar 30, 2003

Churchill Park

Favorite thing: Copenhagen is full of water and my favourite day is when I can just stroll around the waterfront from Nyhavn to Amalienborg or around the canals of Christianshavn and people enjoy their drinks outside whilst all sorts of seagoing vessels, from the smallest canoe to the huge Oslo ferries pass by.

• Cruise
    • Business Travel

• snorril's Profile Photo

Walking in Copenhagen

by snorril Updated Feb 4, 2003

Rosenborg Slot

Favorite thing: Just walking around the city. You can cover plenty of sights within a short walking distance from the Rådhusplads. The sights I recommend are the Amalienborg (the residence), Rosenborg, Nyhavn (streetlife) and Tivoli.
    The little Mermaid is just a small statue and OK as such but I would not have it as a priority.

Fondest memory: You can watch the changing of the guards at 12´o clock at Amalienborg Castle. Half an hour earlier they leave Rosenborg Castle and march to Amalienborg.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Walks and a boattour are the way to see a lot

by Pavlik_NL Updated Sep 8, 2002

Dragon-tower and the

Favorite thing: Discover the city by means of many short walks in different districts that are well-connected by an excellent public transport. Don't forget to make a boattour and see the town as the Danish shippers saw it many times when coming home. The shoppingstreets of Copenhague have a very special atmosphere and short strawls from them lead to many wonderful places like the palacesquare and the quaypark with the famous statue of the 'Lille Havfrue' (Little Mermaid).

Fondest memory: Tivoli, the romantic attractionpark in the midst of town. Take an evening (or many more) to enjoy it.

• Go exploring.. Copenhagen is...

by scooter3 Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: Go exploring.. Copenhagen is easily accessible by foot... You can always take buses or trains to get to your destinations, but you don't really need to... If you want information on what's going on in Copenhagen there is a monthly booklet that comes out with information on shows, restaurants, events, etc... It should be everywhere, but I don't remember exactly the name of it, sorry.. For an english language newspaper, pick up the Copenhagen Post for info on local news, etc... Enjoy!!

• balderas's Profile Photo

The best thing about...

by balderas Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The best thing about Copenhagen is the life in its streets. There is always something going on on Strøget, the main pedestrian street, no matter what time of the day it is. You can spend hours just walking around, watching people and checking out the street artists. In the streets off Strøget there are areas where you can find traditional Danish restaurants, pubs, clubs, cafés.. you name it.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Take a walking tour around the...

by worldtrekker Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a walking tour around the city. I more or less followed the suggested routing in the Lonely Planet Guidebook. Parts of the city which I explored in my 6 hour tour are the City Centre, the Latin Quarter, and Christianshavn.

Fondest memory: Statue of Bishop Absalon (founder of Copenhagen 1167)in Hojbro Plads Square.

• carstenj's Profile Photo

take a stroll from city square...

by carstenj Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: take a stroll from city square up through Stroget (mall) to Nyhavn, then turn left down Bredgade (Broadway - but really narrow) and catch the Queens Palace. At the end turn left and walk through the old Nyboder (Naval housing build ages ago (in picture)) and proceed to the Kings Park. After that you can sit in a cafe, enjoy a drink and rest a bit.

• DesertRat's Profile Photo

stroll the streets and...

by DesertRat Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: stroll the streets and people-watch. Spend time in the Town Hall Square and feed the pigeons while munching on a sausage or sipping a beer.

Photo: Town Hall Square, just minutes on foot from the train station

• msgamal's Profile Photo

Walking street, City Center

by msgamal Written Aug 11, 2004

Favorite thing: Its amaizing to walk arround Copenhagen, walk the walking area in the city center and enjoy shopping listening to musician playing, don't forget the tip, and eat Kebab :)

• Adventure Travel