Ankara, Copenhagen

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Ankara: One Of The Cheapest Lunches In Town

by johngayton Written Feb 27, 2012

Buffet and Cheery Waiter

This is a totally no-frills sort of a place but none the worse for that. Upon arrival I asked for a table for one and was shown to a little table in the corner by the kitchen door which suited me perfectly as I could peep inside - those that know me will understand this.

The cheap wooden table was simply covered with a paper "cloth" and decorated with a couple of napkins and a cheapo plastic candle-holder.

My cheery waiter's first question was "A drink sir?" - HA! This is my sort of place. His second question was "The buffet?"

Beer duly ordered I was directed towards what turned out to be a pretty scrummy buffet with the instruction that I could have a soup or salad to start and then help myself to whatever I wanted from the selection of main courses, along with wahtever else I fancied.

The other customers were mostly locals, well at least as far as I could discern given that I didn't catch any "English" being spoken. The group of four studenty young girls laughingly seemed to be treating themselves as they disrobed in front of me - well it was mid-winter and they did have a few layers to shed before they could get comfortable in the spare but warmly heated dining room. Unfortunately the striptease stopped once they got down to their bras and panties - I lie of course but my imagination is always rampant ;-p

Other customers included a well-dressed couple at a window table sharing what looked like a decent bottle of wine, a young family who I think ordered just two meals and fed both their toddlers from their own plates, a suited businesswoman and a few other odds and bobs - a broad spectrum of Copenhagen on the cheap.

Favorite Dish: But it was food I was after (and beer obviously) and I was suitably impressed. Loads of fresh salads, some simple, some interesting, a big pot of soup and about half-a-dozen hot dishes.

I was only after a light lunch, something to line the stomach but leave room for a few afternoon beers, and so just had a single mixed platter with a juicy chicken thigh, piquant in its tomato sauce, some salady bits with Feta cheese, a bit of bulgar wheat (my healthy bit!) and whatever else I put on my plate along with a crispy home-made bread roll.

Service was smilingly simple and the bill of 100 DKK - buffet 59, beer 41, a bit of an embarrassment as my food cost was more than my booze - but my afternoon soon remedied that imbalance.

But Yep, well worth seeking out and if you really want to pig-out then you can!

• Beer Tasting

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Ankara: Middle Eastern magic

by sourbugger Written Jan 18, 2008

This cavernous restaurant has been doing a brisk trade for well over twenty years. The Buffet option is especially popular with locals, students and tourists alike.

It is not unusual to have to queue to get in, although we only had to wait about a quarter of an hour.

Traditional would be a reasonable description, without descending into middle eastern tackiness.

An added bonus, and we would have missed her if we had left five minutes earlier, was the belly dancer who pranced her way around the restaurant. A bit of a cliche, I admit, but great fun all the same - and it injected a bit of extra atmosphere into the place.

Favorite Dish: Can't complain about a slap up meal for 140 kr or so with free entertainment - a winner.

• juliagreen's Profile Photo

Ankara: Constantly re-filled buffet

by juliagreen Written Oct 30, 2006

EAT HERE !

Turkish Buffet, which is always fresh and is really yummy!
    Friendly atmosphere, and a good buzz on weekends.
    Belly dancing on friday/ saturday evening.

Give it a try!

Favorite Dish: Excellent lamb and mousaka.
    Lots of salad.
    Hot and cold side dishes.

• Study Abroad

• travelife's Profile Photo

Ankara: Another Turkish Restaurant

by travelife Updated Oct 3, 2005

Close to Restaurant Koh-i-Noor, this restaurant offers cheap buffet (DKK 59) during 11-15. And being drawn by good price and central location we tried them. Tho particularly no problem about the food in general the salad-bar seems to be not fresh. A little less than professional. Cheap.

• reverb's Profile Photo

Definitly Get the Buffet!!!

by reverb Updated Jun 28, 2004

Turkish food at it's best!

This is my favorite Turkish restaurant in town.The buffet is the way to go!!! I love this place! The food is fantastic! I tell ya, you won't find a better deal anywhere else in town. The buffet is huge and the food is always fresh. They have plenty of seating indoors or outdoors. The atmosphere is for anyone. It's a very comfortable place and the service is great! Well considering your serving yourself. Wine is a great conpliment to your food here and is inexpensive. The lunch is a great deal....39 krones($6.50) till 3 and then night prices are added. Dinner is 69 Krones for the bufett...Roughly about $11.50

Favorite Dish: Too much good food to decide what is the best!!!

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Copenhagen

Comments

Hotels Near Ankara
3.5 out of 5 stars