Streckers, Copenhagen

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 6 Reviews

Axeltorv 2, København V 33 14 80 80

Rest. Streckers (Copenhagen, Denmark)
    by Redang
    Streckers Pub & Brasserie on the Stroget
    by starship
    The Bar at Streckers on the Stroget
    by starship
  • starship's Profile Photo

Streckers Pub & Brazzerie: Streckers Bar Has Ambience Too!

by starship Updated Mar 12, 2013

The Bar at Streckers on the Stroget

I liked the ambience of Streckers so much that I had to add this as an additional tip. The Bar in this Streckers was a beautiful period style, quite ornate at the top, and was quite massive with its polished dark wood. There were also large, ornate chandeliers above it which certainly lent to its appeal in my opinion. I didn't see anyone actually sit at this bar for very long, but people did order beers or other drinks with their meals or drinks alone just to chat or sit & watch the world go by from the "salon" area of the restaurant and the large front windows of Streckers. A Carlsberg beer will run you about US $7 (2005 prices) here, but the ambience dulled the pain of the high price for beer and American soft drinks. The service was very good. Have at least one drink here just to enjoy the great interior of the place, particularly the bar, and its perfect position on the Stroget to meet friends and do some people watching!!

• Beer Tasting

• starship's Profile Photo

Streckers Pub & Brasserie: Reasonable Prices on the Stroget

by starship Updated Feb 20, 2013

Streckers Pub & Brasserie on the Stroget

Coming upon Streckers Pub & Brasserie on the Stroget was a happy occurrence for us. As previously mentioned, Copenhagen is not an inexpensive city nor is Scandinavia as a whole. It was late afternoon when we saw Strecker's "sandwich board" on the famous shopping street, the Stroget, and we were very hungry. The advertised special looked great and we walked in and were seated right away.

The restaurant had a real Victorian feel to it with ornate, carved wooden tables grouped with chairs or banquets around little sitting areas. There were gorgeous chandeliers, and a massive, carved, wooden bar which also appealed to my weakness for all things Victorian. Strecker's did quite a healthy business, and I noticed by their accents that other travelers found Strecker's appealing just as we did, and also some local girls stopping in for a drink after shopping. Two large windows upfront gave us a great view of the crowds strolling up and down the Stroget and I really did enjoy this place.

Favorite Dish: Streckers advertised a steak special for 99 DKK each or about US $16.50 (exchange rate of about 6 Kroner to the USD--2005 prices). This included about a 6 - 8oz. steak, small salad and some of the best french fries I've ever had. I believe there was a basket of bread on the table as well.

My teenagers each had a hamburger with the same great french fries which was 79 DKK each (about $13.30); I think they thought the meal was pretty good. However, I didn't think $13 for a hamburger was an inexpensive meal!!! Also if you are on a budget and you are a Coca Cola addict, now is the time to kick the habit!! These ran 25 DKK each, or over US $4 !! A good size Carlsberg Beer will run you 42 DKK or about US $7. You can probably do somewhat better in an area that is not so touristy, but most of the prices I saw on menus in Old Town Copenhagen were even more expensive than Streckers.

While I would have certainly enjoyed a more traditional Danish restaurant too, I will certainly visit Streckers again if I'm ever in Copenhagen again.

• Streckers: DISCRIMINATING!

by LadyBird05 Written Apr 21, 2012

Me and couple of friends decided to dring beer at streckers but the employee did not allowed us to come in. His reason was that he is tired of asian girls hanging out not buying anything! Definitely discriminating!

• mariahc1's Profile Photo

Streckers Pub & Brasserie: overpriced burgers

by mariahc1 Written Aug 3, 2011

When you walk around Copenhagen's busiest shopping street Stroget, you will definitely get hungry. So instead of going to Macdonalds (which would be our very, very last choice) we ended up in Streckers which seemed decent enough and busy with people. It is a small, pleasant pub with a pleasant ambience and friendly waitors. We had heard that food in Copenhagen was expensive so we decided to go for the simplest option, burger and cola. We had two burgers (served with fries) and two glasses of Cola. We ended up paying 25 euros!!! For two plain burgers that you can easily defrost and cook within 2 minutes. Seriously, we don't mind paying a little too much as long as it is worth it, which was not.

• Beer Tasting

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Streckers

by littlesam1 Updated Apr 28, 2005

We found restaurant prices in Norway and Denmark to be very expensive. We wanted good food but we also wanted to stay within a budget. We found Streckers to be a good choice. Dining in pubs or bars was much less expensive than sitting down at a formal restaurant. Streckers has your usual pub favorites, burgers, fries or chips, etc. The restaurant was located on Copenhagens famous pedestrian street Stroget. It was also only a few steps down the street from our room. The night we dined here they had live music which made the experience even more fun.

• Redang's Profile Photo

Restaurant Streckers Pub & Brasserie: Restaurant Streckers Pub & Brasserie

by Redang Written Sep 28, 2006

Rest. Streckers (Copenhagen, Denmark)

I do know that maybe it's not a good idea to go to Copenhagen to have a burger, but in this case, it was worth it.
    Very well decorated.