Zeleste, Copenhagen

Interior (2)
  • gordonilla's Profile Photo

Restaurant Zeleste: A hidden gem of an experience

by gordonilla Written Jun 24, 2012

Located near to Nyhavn, away from the busy streets. There is a covered courtyard and was an excellent place to visit. It was a place which was warm and friendly, busy but at the same time quiet. They have a large fireplace in the courtyard, which is covered by canvas sails.

Good menu and skilled and energetic staff.

Favorite Dish: I had pea soup, roebuck and then berry pie. Followed by coffee.

Exterior (night time) Interior (1) Interior (2) Sky Sails Roebuck

• HappyDane's Profile Photo

Zeleste: Great atmosphere and seafood!

by HappyDane Written Mar 13, 2012

This is a great seafood-restaurant in the center of Copenhagen, very close to the charming Nyhavn. The courtyard is excellent in the summertime and I love to go there for brunch or a romantic night out! The atmosphere is cosy and authentic and the service and food is excellent.

Favorite Dish: I love their brunch (pata negra cured ham, skyr with müsli and berries, homemade cloudberry jam, muffins and much more)!

Paintings on the 2. floor of the restaurant Outside Zeleste The charming courtyard in Zeleste
    • Luxury Travel

• Zeleste: Not a pleasant experience

by xenon58 Written Apr 28, 2009

Ate at this restaurant when accompanying my husband who was attending an international conference. It was very busy. Seated in a small courtyard which was a little chilly. The ambience was good and service pleasant, however, my dessert was forgotten and waited over 30 minutes for it to arrive.

Favorite Dish: I had Steak in a pepper sauce with gratin potatoes and my husband had rack of lamb. I had asked for a medium rare steak and my husband asked for well done lamb. This order was mixed up however, and I received a well done steak and my husband medium rare lamb. As we were hungry we didn't raise this issue with the waitress but ate what we thought was an enjoyable meal. We returned to our hotel having had what we considered a good restaurant experience, however, three hours later I developed extreme stomach pain and was subsequently violently sick. Both my husband and I had eaten exactly the same food the day before and at lunch that day, and he was not ill, and the time period of 3-4 hours indicated that my meal at Restaurant Zeleste was the culprit. I later e-mailed the restaurant to tell them of my experience, that I had suffered food poisoning after I had eaten there and that they had a food hygiene problem. To date I have received no acknowledgement from them. If you visit this restaurant enjoy the food, but beware of possible repercussions!

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Business Travel

• JulesH's Profile Photo

Zeleste: Excellent ambience

by JulesH Updated Jul 29, 2006

The Zeleste was a treat we promised ourselves. On a hot night, we couldn't face another night crammed between tourists on tables too close together on Nyhavn's canalside restaurant strip, so just at the top of Nyhavn we came across this tiny restaurant focussed around a quaint little courtyard. The menu was short and uncomplicated with only 3 dishes offered for each course and the wine list had a variety of wines and champagnes from around the world. The ambience was cosy but the table layout was such that we felt we had some privacy. Fairy lights twinkled overhead as night fell giving a romatic feel. if you didn't want to sit in the courtyard, there was a side section to the restaurant facing the street and some tables inside looking out onto the courtyard. We didn't have a reservation but the staff accommodated us happily. The food was delicious, although the steak wasn't quite cooked to our taste. The bill was around £150 for two courses each and two bottles of wine, so fairly expensive, but this is what we had come to expect from Copenhagen. The atmosphere made it well worth it.

Favorite Dish: I can recommend the carpaccio of Argentinian steak...utterly perfect! The main course I initially chose wasn't available, so we both tried the Argentinian steak for main course. This was a bit more of a disappointment as it wasn't cooked as we ordered it. We like our steak very rare, but it arrived closer to medium. Still tasty, but not how we'd asked for it. Yes, we probably should have sent it back, but we didn't want to ruin a lovely evening. We also had two bottles of Bordeaux red wine and didn't find time for dessert (although they looked delicious)

quaint courtyard

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Zeleste: A royal brunch

by Sjalen Written Oct 17, 2005

One of my absolute favorite restaurants and luckily, just around the corner from my office :) Zeleste is quite expensive in the evenings but at lunch, they do several affordable plates, including half a lobster, herring plates and my own favourite: the brunch which is also prize winning. The premises used to be an old smithy and so, it has a very cosy and snug layout with an inner yard which is the height of cosiness on a warm summers day. Staff is young but enthusiastic, and the latter you are not otherwise spoilt with in the touristy Nyhavn area. But then again, this is not along the canal and therefore not as known to tourists but more to those of us working in the area. Oh, and Princess Alexandra, whom we have sometimes spotted in the upstairs room for five :)

Favorite Dish: The brunch, amongst other things including a piece of potatoe tortilla, tomato, slice of salmon, thick pancake with syrup and a shot of raspberry smoothie. It comes with very tasty bread and you can buy extra chorizo and things as a supplement if you feel more hungry.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Copenhagen

Comments

Hotels Near Zeleste
4.5 out of 5 stars