Safety Tips in Copenhagen

• Public transport & tickets
    by briantravelman
  • From the Bus Window , going the wrong way!
    From the Bus Window , going the wrong...
    by easterntrekker
    Cyclist on path
    by Gillybob

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Copenhagen

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Friendliest country, not so friendly after all.

by briantravelman Written Aug 19, 2013

I don't know who named Denmark the world's "Friendliest and Happiest Country". The people here are extremely rude. They never smile, and they always looked pissed off. They get mad when you ask them something, they won't let you argue with them, and they don't like to repeat themselves. We were flying from San Francisco to Gdansk, and had a stopover in Copenhagen. We missed our connecting flight, and the airport staff was extremely rude. We only met one nice lady who gave us vouchers for food, and booked us on the last flight out, so we could see the city. The flight crew on Scandinavian Airlines was rude as well. When asking people for directions or where to buy train tickets, they seem like they are doing you a really huge favor by telling you. Even if they seem helpful, you can tell that they are annoyed. We only met one lady in town who was really patient and helpful, but she wasn't Danish. The only nice people we met were Turks and Arabs who were selling souveniers food, and drinks.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Mind your step!

by Gillybob Written Jul 20, 2012

With many building entrances set lower than street level, you will encounter many steps immediately adjacent to pavements in Copenhagen.

A night out with friends, partaking of local brews may put you not quite stable on your feet, so be careful that you mind these entrances and don't end up falling down one!

Mind those steps! Entrance from pavement

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Make Sure You Lock Your Bicycle!!

by johngayton Updated Feb 26, 2012

Danes are in general a law-abiding race but for some reason they seem to have a thing about nicking bicycles. Maybe its just a "hygge" thing - after a few beers bicycles are seen as communal property but whatever, there were about 80,000 bikes reported stolen in 2010 (according to "Ice News" - see link below).

If you hire a bike it will come equipped with decent locks and perhaps even a micro-chip but you'll still be held responsible for it should it be stolen unless you can persuade the hire place that you had locked it up properly.

So be aware!

Lock It Or Lose It!
    • Beer Tasting
    • Cycling

• antistar's Profile Photo

Safe, very safe.

by antistar Written Jan 5, 2012

I'd had a few Danish friends try to convince me that Copenhagen was at least a little bit dangerous, but after spending a week in the city I am convinced they just don't know what a really dangerous city feels like. Sure Copenhagen has crime like any other city, but it's relatively low even by low European standards. I never felt in the slightest bit concerned, day or night, walking about the centre with my wife and child. In addition, people are, in general, much more friendly and polite than in any other capital city I have visited.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Child Friendly Copenhagen

by antistar Written Jan 2, 2012

I'd read that Copenhagen was the most child friendly city on the planet. That may be true for older children, but for infants I'll take issue with that. First thing is the pavements. It's not that they are in bad condition, but I found them worse for prams (buggies) than any other city I've visited. That's mostly because of the deep gutters for every house along the street that are built into the pavement. Every pram I saw in Copenhagen that the locals used had huge wheels. You'll be a lot better off if you have them too.

The second big problem is attitude. The Danes are friendly, respectful, and polite people, so I guess it must be something they just haven't thought about. Every metro station had an elevator - and that is a big plus point. But they were constantly filled with able bodied people who didn't seem to have any idea that this was a problem. They seemed to think that as long as they let the disabled and parents on first, then it was ok. What they didn't see was that they were hogging a limited resource, and on busy days this created long queues of screaming children.

So good, but could be a lot better. I find Frankfurt is a much easier place to get around with an infant than Copenhagen, so Copenhagen is perhaps not the best city in the world for all kinds of children!

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Pedestrian crossings

by mickeyboy07 Written Oct 22, 2011

Always cross the road at pedestrian crossings and always wait for the little green man to turn green,do not cross when red as 1.there is likely to be traffic heading your way,and 2.you can be fined on the spot as its classed as jaywalking,the Danes take this very seriously,you have been warned.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Counting down the seconds

by Nemorino Written Aug 1, 2009

Photos:
    1. Counting down the seconds at a red walk light
    2. Counting them down at a green walk light

Forty-eight seconds can seem like an eternity if you are a pedestrian waiting for your walk light to turn green. Often pedestrians start to doubt if the lights are even working properly, so they risk life and limb by dashing across the street in front of murderous motor vehicles.

Copenhagen has found a solution for this -- only implemented at a few crossings so far, but still.

I think this is a good service and well worth the extra cost. And it is a courteous gesture towards pedestrians, who are not always treated courteously in city traffic.

The second photo shows a similar countdown at a green light, so pedestrians know they have twelve more seconds before their light turns red.

1. Counting down the seconds at a red walk light 2. Counting them down at a green walk light

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Strøget - game scams...

by ValbyDK Written Jun 15, 2008

When you are walking down the pedestrian shopping street, Strøget, you’ll quite often see people playing card games where you’re suppose to guess where the right card is hidden or games where you should guess under which cup a ball is hidden. Don’t play – it’s a scam! You might see people winning good money, but they are part of the scam! Stay far away from these games…

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Sourbugger makes a scene at the airport

by sourbugger Written Jan 11, 2008

Copenhagen Airport, like so many institutions in the western world has been overrun by the dreaded inspectors of the Health and Safety mob.

On a recent flight back we were taking both Sourbugger minor and Sourbugger very minor with us. Turning up at the terminal we checked in bags and expected (as on the outward flight) to take the double buggy to the plane before it was collapsed and put in the hold.

The check in staff were having none of it, and after a few minutes a ‘supervisor’ turned up. The conversation went something like this

Supervisor : “I understand you want to take this to the plane”

SB : “Yes, rather surprisingly the buggy is designed to transport two children efficiently over level surfaces – perhaps even in a airport”

Supervisor : “But this is a little bigger than a standard buggy”

SB : “That’s because we have two children, I’m sorry I’m not liable to the laws of the Chinese government and restricted by prodigy to just the one.”

Supervisor (probably somewhat baffled) “Well it’s too heavy to carry anyway”

SB : (with a voice even more dripping with sarcasm now) “Aahh…can’t the big tough Vikings lift a little aluminium prammie –whammie ?”

Supervisor : “That is correct”

There is just no arguing with some people.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

How to make an idiot of yourself

by sourbugger Written Dec 10, 2007

The little mermaid is Copenhagen's world recognised symbol. The little statue sits demurely on a rock just to the north of the city centre area.

Even in the deepest colds of December there was a constant stream of tourists pouring off busses to take their snapshop infront of the Hans Christian Anderson inspired bronze.

On my previous visit to Copenhagen, some twenty years before I was fit and stupid enough to bound across the rocks and give her a snog.

I'm glad to say that middle age has brought a little more sense, and I managed to resist the temptation this time. I would only have ended up with a broken arm and very soggy trousers anyway.

• nimabf's Profile Photo

Street Gambling

by nimabf Written Apr 7, 2007

Hi Guys
    I hope that you to be professional are not going to make a childish mistake which I made and not get excited when you see a Street Gambling and lose all of your 500 Krones at one moment less than a minute. So my advice is to think before making any decisions, to not turn your trip to a hell. So I did not make a good memory from my first visit from Copenhagen. It seems that I gave my money to the thieves with my own decision. Stupid, Hun?!!!.
    Any way I wish you a good trip wherever you are going.

• sigthor_egle's Profile Photo

Never 2 Careful

by sigthor_egle Updated Mar 24, 2007

Copenhagen is in general peaceful city but like in most big cities you should hide expensive cameras phones and if you are driving take you GPS out of the car as it is highly popular in Cph right now to steal them.
    This picture was taken just next to Mcdonalds on the center of stroget, where two guys stole a car and drove through one entrance, through the mall and went out of other entrance right into the walking street.

Illum: journalists all around Illum: closed Illum: this door is closed
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

• bazoeker's Profile Photo

Homestay/Bed and Breakdast

by bazoeker Written Oct 14, 2006

In Denmark, one can stay in a Dane's residential home (e.g. bedandbreakfast.dk). I thought this was a good idea, since it was quite cheap. So I booked a place via the internet, and when I arrived, I paid the landlady who then left her apartment for her holidays. Well, I was quite surprised, since I was a complete stranger and was left alone in her apartment. Anyway I wasn't really alone since she had a daughter who would come in once in a while. Things were going fine until one night when the teenage daughter held a party, so she had a number of other teenage girls and guys running around and smoking whatever. It was rather annoying and frightening, since some of them would barge into my room without any consideration of my privacy. And I had to share the bathroom with them which was not very pleasant. The commotion lasted the whole night and pretty much killed my appetite for the rest of mny trip. So if you are taking this accommodation option, make sure you speak with the landlady/landlord beforehand that there would be no surprises.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo

Wheel chair users

by Acirfa Written Jul 30, 2006

Please be aware that unless you have a helper it may be difficult for you to make use of the buses in Copenhagen. I note this through a friends experience. It is not the most wheel chair friendly city so please check before you leave as to the assistence and ramps available to the particular areas you wish to visit.

• Disabilities

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Second hand smoke, anyone?

by yooperprof Updated Jul 5, 2006

Copenhagen is a "late adopter" when it comes to banning smoking in public places. For example, smoking is allowed in many areas of the Copenhagen Airport. There are some "no smoking areas" scattered through the airport, but that doesn't mean that people necessarily follow the signs. I snapped this picture of a woman smoking her ciggie right below the no smoking sign.

I imagine that this picture will soon be of historical interest. Denmark can't be that far behind Norway!

thanks for sharing!

Latest: Jun 28, 2014
Copenhagen Strand Hotel
Latest: Jun 29, 2014

Instant Answers: Copenhagen

Comments

Copenhagen Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Copenhagen locals.
Map of Copenhagen