Dragør Travel Guide

• Dragør
    by illumina

Dragør Things to Do

• Dragør Church

Dragør Church was completed in 1885, before that time the Dragør citizens had to use the church in Store Magleby (just outside Dragør). The church is designed by architect J.H. Wessel in a Neo Gothic style characteristic of the period, and built by R.P. Guldborg - a local master-builder. Their webpage is only in Danish...

• Dragør Memorial Stone

The memorial stone is located north of the harbour in Dragør and was erected in 2003 in memory of the humanitarian effort made by fishermen and others from Dragør in October 1943, when the Germans started its action against the Danish Jews. It is said that more than 700 persons were saved by the Dragør fishermen and other helpers.The relief is made...

• Dragør Fort

Dragør Fort is one of five coastal forts constructed at the beginning of World War I (the others were Flakfortet, Kongelundsfortet, Mosede Fort and Taarbæk Fort). The fortification was built between 1910 and 1915 to protect the coast of Amager from enemy attack and invasion. The fortification is built on an artificial island about 200 metres from...

Dragør Restaurants

• No Bedrooms At The Strandhotel

Frederik III liked to order eel soup at the Strandhotel and Søren Kierkegaard, a philosopher, frequented this favorite of Dragør's establishments. Okay, there are sleeping accommodations at the Strandhotel, but I didn't stay here. I just stopped to have a hot cup of coffee.The Strandhotel faces the harbor and sitting at a table next to a big...

• Classical Danish

This is the place to be seen at in Dragoer, but still not too posh by any means. Service was a bit slow when we visited but to their defense, they had a big dinner party. The food is typical Danish and mostly very nice. A childrens menu exist and in fact, the child fish dish was the only thing we were not that happy with since what can be a nice...

• Dragør Hotels

0 Hotels in Dragør

Dragør Nightlife

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

I didn't stop in any nightlife spots in Dragor.

Of course, the restaurants were full of people getting together.. I did notice that the Danes I met knew how to have a wonderful evening with friends at home or down at the local Kro. (Inn)

Pictured here is an example of what I mean. This "Public Bar" door is inside the barn of my friend. He created an English Pub inside the barn to invite his friends over for a few drinks.

Once inside I forgot that it was just a room in the barn. It was very realistic and amazing!

• Architecture
    • School Holidays

Dragør Transportation

• Dragør - Copenhagen

The easiest way to get from the centre of Copenhagen to Dragør is to take bus no. 350S (departs from Nørrebro Station, Nørreport Station and Christianshavn).A one way ticket costs 36 DKK (January 2013) and the ride takes about 40 minutes.

• Water, Water Everywhere

I arrived at Dragør by car and we walked around the older part of the village, but didn't have time to rent a boat and explore the waterways.The #40 bus from Copenhagen will get you there in about 40 minutes. There was a ferry from Dragør across the way to Sweden but there is now a convenient bridge if you want to drive over..

• By bus

It couldn't be easier to get to Dragoer. Just catch a bus from Kastrup airport, Tårnby or Örestad train stations. There is also a bus all the way from the centre (see below).

Dragør Shopping

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

This is a view from the docks towards the older section of Dragør. Before getting to the shops you'll pass some impressive old homes. Most of the shops were old homes as well, but some of the buildings were also used in the fishing industry, some were the homes of the Bleachers, people who would bleach fabric as a living.

What to buy: I wanted to buy something for friends I'd be visiting in the northern part of Danmark and ended up in a wonderful liquor shop. I was surprised to see that they sold Khalua. I was even more surprised that this Mexican liqueur was actually made in Danmark! Still, I think it was a good gift as most people I met hadn't ever tried Khalua.

What to pay: A bottle of Khalua sold for $17.45 US Dollars! (More than I'd pay in Mexico and even more than in the USA!)

• Business Travel

Dragør Local Customs

• Real Danish Furniture!

The Danish people I met were friendly and had a marvelous sense of humor. They also have a sleek sense of style. This is particularly seen in the design of their furniture. I don't really know much about the history of this style nor do I know the meaning of Danish Modern furniture. We have stores in the USA that sell Danish Modern and I've seen...

• Stop! In The Name Of Preservation....

Closing many streets in the historical section of Dragor, to the modern car, has helped to keep the charm of the village as a reminder of days gone by.Dragor was and still is a town based in the fishing industry and it's neighboring town, Store Magleby developed when Dutch farmers were brought in by King Christian II to grow food for the royals.I...

• Limhamn links

Until the Öresund Bridge was built, there was a small ferry here from Limhamn in the south of Malmö in Sweden. This means Dragoer still sees the odd Swedish couple on a nostalgic daytrip with Danish dining. These days coming by car of course. The run up to the ferry terminal is sadly blocked by stones...

Dragør Warnings and Dangers

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

This was a difficult tip to come up with. Look up "Safe" in the dictionary and you'll see a photo of Dragor!

So here's my best Warning & Danger tip:

Dragor is full of harbor. When it rains the docks become sippery and dangerous. Of course, even when it doesn't rain the docks are usually wet, at least in part.

Please, Walk Carefully!

• Fishing

Dragør Tourist Traps

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

Throughout Dragor you will see Red and Yellow brick houses or buildings with a very steep roof. Don't be lulled into believeing that is all there is in Dragor. There are other styles but not often seen. So, when I saw this house I was shocked into reality.

Unique Suggestions: The way to make the best of the shock you'll experience driving past this unusual house is to snap a photo. Otherwise no one will believe it could be true.

• Architecture

Dragør What to Pack

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Yes! Bring All Weather Gear!

The sun shined. It became overcast. It rained. It hailed. The sun shined. All this in a few hours on the dock at Dragor! Then it snowed!

One thing I noticed was that even in what most people would call bad weather, everyone seemed to be content to go on with their normal activities as if it was a sunny day. I think that is because they always were prepared to continue on.

Miscellaneous: What ever you bundle up your baby with, make sure it's waterproof,

• Photography

Dragør Off The Beaten Path

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

RensLet offered, for over forty years, the European home maker an excellent quality steel wool pad for making pots and pans sparkle. I know the pads did indeed make the pots and pans sparkle because one of my Danish students brought me several boxes as a gift from his family business and I used them!

A tour of the factory, located in the center of Dragor, was a nice surprise, very interesting and informative.

There was one machine I was not permitted to photograph because the patent was still pending, my student's father had invented the machine! As a consolation, I was allowed a shot of this machine which cuts the pads to the correct size.

RensLet is no longer the "family" buisness.

• Business Travel
    • Photography

Dragør Sports & Outdoors

by lmkluque Updated Oct 13, 2012

Dragør, after all, is a fishing village. People are always coming into Dragør by boat and sometimes they are actually fishing.

Equipment: A boat and a reel & rod.

• Fishing
    • Museum Visits

Dragør Favorites

• Dragør, Over Seven Hundred Years Old!

This was my first visit to such an ancient city. Learning that the buildings in this area still had thatched roofs wasn't such an amazing bit of information to me. I'm one to just take things as they are. Later I found out that the thatch was no longer being replaced with more thatch because it was such a fire hazard. Then I realized that I had...

• Stroll the alleys

This is what Dragoer is about really. Just stroll around the alleys with all their thatched roofed houses in clusters and with gardens full of flowers. On a sunny day the yellow paint makes for very cheerful photos. Most alleys are pedestrianised so you need rarely worry about cars.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Dragør? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Dragør

Comments

Explore Deeper into Dragør
Dragør Museum