Alcohol, Tallinn

by cheekymarieh
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Estonian Beer

by Kathrin_E Written Sep 25, 2009

Estonian beer proved to be really good, even from the point of taste of a spoilt German tongue. I learned that the Purity Law we Germans are so proud of (beer may contain hop, malt, water and yeast, and no other ingredients) is also valid in Estonia.

The two biggest brands are Saku and A. Le Coq. The standard beer is a light, not too bitter Pilsner-type. They also do dark beers. Checking if a pub has specialities from a microbrewery can be worthwhile.

Üks õlu palun...

Mural above a pub in the old town

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Try Vana Tallinn liqueur

by BillNJ Updated Mar 23, 2008

When I ordered Vana Tallinn liqueur at the Nimeta Baar, one of the bartenders initially tried to talk me out of it saying that it tasted like medicine. Despite the warning, I purchased a small glass --and I rather enjoyed it. Sort of like B&B but not as sweet. Of course, I chased it down with some A. Le Coq beer.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Enjoy some A. Le Coq beer

by BillNJ Updated Mar 22, 2008

While in Tallinn, enjoy some A. Le Coq beer. At the Nimeta Baar, a friendly Dutchman introduced me to this great beer -- for short, he called it "the Coq". I was told that it is one of the best selling Estonian beers (Saku is the other), and it is quite good. Enjoy!

• maria_mullah's Profile Photo

Booze!

by maria_mullah Written Aug 20, 2007

I didn't really know where to put this tip, but I have to
    share it with you.
    I definitely think you should try two of the local liquors:
    Vana Tallinn and Liviko Liköör!
    I'm having a hard time describing the taste here, so
    I won't. See for yourselves.
    Enjoy!

Good Stuff...=)

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

by cheekymarieh Updated Jan 2, 2006

One of the local brews is Saku, a light beer (known in the UK as a lager). The brewery from which it is produced is the oldest and largest within Estonia. When I am away I always like to sample the local brew and this was refreshing drink in the middle of the day.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Finns buying Estonian beer

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 8, 2004

Many Finnish people just come over to Tallinn to buy beer, because alcohol is very expensive in Finland. On the ferries from Tallinn to Helsinki you often see them with a small trolley packed with Estonian beer cans.
    The most famous brand seems to be Saku, with their main product Saku Originaal. It is well known all over Northern Europe and also in the USA and Japan.

Saku Originaal