Karja Kelder, Tallinn

Väike-Karja 1

Know about this? Rate It!

The bar
    by toonsarah
  • Karja Kelder
    by toonsarah
  • Karja Kelder
    by Turska
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Karja Kelder: Tallinn's oldest pub?

by toonsarah Written Jun 23, 2014

The bar

I always treat claims to be the "oldest" anything in a city with a certain scepticism, but this pub in the centre of Tallinn's old town certainly looks the part. We had a quick nightcap here one evening and I liked the cosy laid-back atmosphere. In an area where most drinkers are on the young side (young locals and visiting "stags and hens") it was good to find that the clientele here is more mixed and I didn't feel at all out of place. Prices are reasonable (I paid 2.50€ for my shot of Vana Tallinn, a local liqueur) and on the night we visited there was a "3 for 2" offer on saku beer. I understand that there is sometimes live music, but there was none on the Saturday night when we visited. They also serve food and I’ve seen reasonable reviews of this, but again, not tried it myself so can’t comment personally.

Next tip: old buildings into new

• Turska's Profile Photo

Karja Kelder: Old pub

by Turska Updated May 10, 2013

The places was told to be oldest pub in Tallinn, but so does Hell Hunt also. Don´t know witch one is right..
    It is in the cellar, as we thought from the name. Don´t know where the word "karja" comes, when it sounds like cows to Finnish. Place is quite typical pub, quite big witch you didn´t see from the street. There was a band playing, but they played only old songs from 80´s like in boats going between Helsinki and Stockholm (and maybe Tallinn, we have never used night boat), so it was.. hmm.. "not our cup of tea". But better than todays disco-music or some kind of tecno etc.. But these things are hard to tell, some might love the music. Maybe we should, by the gae we are. And I think the music changes here, might be different bands each day. This was at saturday, maybe there isn´t live music every day.
    They also had food in here. We didn´t eat anything, but we saw many people eating, and it looked o.k.. Many kinds of snackfoods mostly, but something bigger also. And the prices weren´t high, might try one day.
    There was quite a good beer selection and in reasonable prices. Some beers were 3 for price of 2. We only had one each anyway.( We felt like seeing many places same night.)

Dress Code: No dress code.

• Music
    • Beer Tasting

• antistar's Profile Photo

Karja Kelder: Traditional Cellar Bar

by antistar Written Dec 21, 2008

I think the Estonian for karja kelder means literally: cellar bar. It's a pretty much no-nonsense kind of a place that serves good strong beer and good value food. It's popular with beer fans, as it has an almost complete range of beers from the two main brewers in Estonia: Saku and A. Le Coq, including Saku Tumé on draught.

The music is pretty awful, though, with a constant stream of schlage muzik. But you can watch endless football on the big screen.

Dress Code: Relaxed.