Hell Hunt, Tallinn

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 6 Reviews

Pikk 39 +372 6818 333

Enjoying a Pint of Hoegaarden :)
    Hell Hunt Pub
    Leffe Blonde
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Hell Hunt: Entertaining Estonian Pub

by travelfrosch Updated May 12, 2013

Hell Hunt Pub

Billing itself as "The First Estonian Pub," Hell Hunt features a fun and relaxed (but generally a bit crowded) atmosphere with unique menu selections and an excellent choice of beers. Enjoy the pleasant buzz indoors, or the more relaxed outdoor terrace across the street. Service is friendly and prices are somewhat lower than those in and around Town Hall Square. The food is just fine, and you might have to control yourself not to sample every single brew on their extensive beer list.

Favorite Dish: I liked their lamb stew, which was hearty and tasty. The pub brews its own beer in light lager, dark lager, wheat beer, and ale varieties. I wasn't all that impressed with their light lager, but the pub also features a number of high quality and reasonably-priced imported beers on tap, including Leffe Blonde and Hoegaarden. The high-quality major Estonian brews of Saku and A. Le Coq are also available in bottles.

• Architecture

• ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Hell Hunt: Great place to eat or drink (or both!)

by ZeekLTK Written Jun 11, 2012

I stopped in here with a friend when we walked by and realized the Champions League semifinals were on. It was hard to get a seat since the place was packed, but once we did we had a blast watching the game with a very enthusiastic crowd, which seemed to be a mix of tourists and locals.

The menu looked good, so we went back for lunch the next day. And it was delicious! I got some pasta with alfredo and seafood in it, it was really good. We came back again the following night to watch the other semifinal and had just as much fun. Overall this was a great place to go to both eat a meal and hang out and drink.

Drinks were very modestly priced too. And they make their own beer, which you can only get there. The Hell Hunt Tume (dark) was great! I wish I could get it here at home. I definitely recommend trying it, and this place, if you are in Tallinn.

Favorite Dish: Food: any of the pastas!

Drink: Hell Hunt Tume

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Hell Hunt: My new favourite pub!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Oct 27, 2011

Hell Hunt

The Hell Hunt is the sort of local pub I'd love to have around the corner from me so that I could frequent it with regularity! As it has been around since 1653, one can safely assume that it's doing a lot right!

We visited Tallinn in late December, and the warmest it got during the entire four days was -8 Centigrade. Having decided that it was preferable to be warm nerds rather than cool frozen people, we went prepared with ski outfits and unflattering headgear: but however beautiful your surroundings and however well insulated your clothing, you get to the point where you're longing to retreat to a warm and welcoming hostelry where you will be plied with good food and tempting beverages whilst your extremities are gently eased back into circulation!

The Hell Hunt (meaning the Gentle Wolf - a source of amusement, as this is our son's name) is precisely that sort of place. I imagine that it is welcoming in any season, but to stumble through the door and collapse into armchairs in front of a wood burning stove takes some beating! We turned it into our 'home away from home' over the weekend, and my husband was so relaxed that he actually had a snooze in an armchair one afternoon!

Favorite Dish: The big attraction is the booze - and, for me, possibly the best cider that I have ever drunk. I was a cider drinker during my university years, but have never managed to find a good cider outside England or France (I have a particular weakness for light, sparkling Normandy brews).
    The Hell Hunt's cider is indeed light and slightly sparkling and tastes amazingly fruity - it can't have a very high alcoholic content, which would make it the ideal refreshing drink in hot weather. Even in the depths of winter, it is absolute perfection: like the distilled essence of autumn.

There is a menu of bar snacks - we had the fried Russian dumplings, which were pleasant (although the 'spicy tomato sauce' advertised as accompanying it turned out to be ketchup!).

• AgentJX's Profile Photo

Hell Hunt: Tender Wolf

by AgentJX Written Mar 31, 2006

Esemine pubi Eestis (The First pub in Estonia). Another place in old town that stands out from the bland, overpriced places that dominate the area. A good sign is that when you walk inside you actually hear Estonian. Anyplace in old town where you can find locals must be doing something right. Typical pub fare, the Shepherds Pie is very good and comes in two sizes. The larger size for only 65 kroons is a meal in itself. Wide selection of beer and liquor and a lively atmosphere.

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Hell Hunt: Bright and cozy

by Rusket Updated Mar 27, 2006

BodX and Melani, Hell Hunt, Tallinn

This is where our VT meeting was set. Melani and MarieChristine joined the nine of us who had started early at Olde Hansa. We had a nice time chatting, and many of us tasted the pub's own beer which was served in liter mugs. The pub looks renovated, with bright colors. The atmosphere is nice, and the place was full without beeing overcrowded. The name has nothing to do with hell, it means Gentle Wolff :-)

Opening hours: From 12 noon and until the last guest leaves.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Hell Hunt Pub: No-nonsense pub with good food

by BillNJ Written Mar 12, 2008

I had lunch one weekday afternoon at the Hell Hunt Pub in the Old Town. It's a no-nonsense pub with good food. I tried some interesting and tasty appetizers along with A. Le Coq beer.

Instant Answers: Tallinn

Comments

Hotels Near Hell Hunt
2.5 out of 5 stars