Kompressor, Tallinn

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Young people's pancake restaurant

by Airpunk Updated Jan 20, 2013

Kompressor

Upon arrival at my hostel, I asked the local people about a place where I can get something to eat. “Kompressor” was their answer and I was given a free city map with a description of how to get there. So, my first meal I ate in Estonia was in this pancake restaurant. I really liked the casual atmosphere of a typical student’s café: People talking, music turned on, all in all a lively place to enjoy a quick meal. Allmost all of the guests were local students or some other younger folks. But that does not mean that people over thirty or tourists do not feel well in this place. They are welcomed minorities :).

Favorite Dish: As I said, it is a pancake restaurant, so that the menu mainly consists of pancakes. It is divided into salty pancakes with cheese/meat and sweet ones with fruits, jam and chocolate. The menu is in estonian and english, after making your choice, order at the counter. I had a pancake with cheese and garlic which was the only vegeterian choice among the salty ones. After finishing it, I was more than just satisfied and wished that there would be a place like that in my home town. Indeed, a place I can recommend to all open-minded visitors to Tallinn.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Big crepes, heavy stuffing

by Turska Written Dec 18, 2011
    See how full it is!

We love crepes, and the place is famous so we must go here. Place looked like it wasn´t a "real reastaurant", more like some companys restaurant for their staff. Service was poor (you really didn´t feel wellcome) and when some American guys didn´t notice they should make the order at the bar desk none of two weitresses said nothing!
    But the crepes were good. Must say, that if you ask us, they could have had a little less (!) stuffing in it. We both (even my husband) couldn´t finish it at the moment. I tried to get some of the stuffing out from it. But it was good otherwise. And when we had garlic in ours it was fresh, not anything from can. I thing that the huge crepe with cheeese, sour cream and garic was 3 e! You could have also taken some meat in it, or have a sweat one.

Favorite Dish: I would still say that I liked what we had. Just could have been little less heavy filled.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Monster pancakes!

by slothtraveller Updated Jul 3, 2011

Kompressor

This little student and tourist-friendly pub on Rataskaevu is a fantastic place to stop for some marvellous filled pancakes. Just grab a menu, order at the bar and take a seat. I visited Kompressor twice during my stay in Tallinn as it was located very near my hotel and the pancakes were some of the tastiest I've ever eaten. If the place is full, you might want to consider that they do takeaway, although you should be prepared to wait 15 minutes or maybe more depending on how busy they are.

Favorite Dish: My favourite was the garlic cheese filled savoury pancake- absolutely delicious! Although the pancakes are massive, I still managed to demolish it without much trouble! I would highly recommend this place.

• Asterix101's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Do not miss this one!

by Asterix101 Written Jan 21, 2011

Thanks to all the recomendations from VT, I've decided to visit this one ... and it was love at 1st sight :). Pancakes are great, stuff is friendly and prices are nice ... what else do you need :).

Favorite Dish: pancakes with shrimps

• antistar's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Pancakes!

by antistar Written Dec 21, 2008

Kompressor, Tallinn

Pancakes are the perfect comfort food, and this place does the best pancakes I have ever eaten. Freshly prepared and cooked on the spot, they are huge and come with an array of flavours, ingredients and sauces. On a cold winter's day the enormous pancakes are like a little nuclear furnace in your stomach, providing you with a constant stream of energy to keep you from turning into an icicle.

They are cheap too.

• Bamby-Bambi's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Huge pancakes are here

by Bamby-Bambi Written Jul 18, 2008

The best pancakes you can try in Tallinn (at least for me and allmy friends). There is 1 full page of different pancakes in menu. mmmmnjammm...

You will be lucky if you can find one place, usually it's pretty fool!!! Ans sometimes be ready to wait a lot.. around 30 minutes, but you will enjoy your huge pancake!
    You can aslo order take-away!

But! You can pay only in cash! no bankcards!

Favorite Dish: Cheese balls and potatoto balls with garlic sauce are very delicious!
    Also ice-creal cocktail is good!!!

ps. Please write me back if you could finish your one pancake and even finished the 2nd..:)

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Kompressor: Pancakes' place

by Raimix Updated Aug 21, 2007

Old town scene

When I felt that I need some food, I visited tourism information centre asking where I could go to eat some cheaper and good food. They said "Kompressor" is a good place for it and it is very famous among Tallinn young people.

I liked this place, as it served good food (some is like at home - pancakes, omelets). Honestly, I visited it two times and two times it was hard to finish eating food (simply too much of it).

• sivoe's Profile Photo

Kompressor: The best pancakes ever

by sivoe Updated Jan 14, 2007

Kompressor doesn't look like much, in fact it's a bit difficult to find the right door. It's dark, there isn't much of a decor and sometimes you have to wait for ages to get your food. But when the filled pancake arrives (pancakes is what you should order) it is more than worth the wait. Huge pancakes filled with mushrooms or salami or tuna or anything else you can think of. Delicious! Wash them down with a cheap drink - and they even had Newcastle on tap!

• AgentJX's Profile Photo

Kompressor: BIG pancakes

by AgentJX Written Mar 31, 2006

Large Estonian pancakes in a modern setting. This restaurant features both salty (soolane) and sweet (magus) pancakes, that are substantially filling. It also features soups and other dishes if you hare not in a pancake mood, but pancakes are what they do best.

Favorite Dish: I personally enjoy the cheese and bacon pancakes, but really whatever they have that strikes you as sounding good is worth a try. Although you might have to decided between salt and sweet, one of each is hard to do, but that is why it is good to go with someone with whom you can share.

• oogi1's Profile Photo

Kompressor: so much, so cheap, so close

by oogi1 Written Mar 2, 2005
    location of Kompressor

It is situated in a very good place, 200 meters from Town Hall Square.. there is a lot of space, so good food and also beer is cheap and good:) YOunger people and student are visiting that place mostly and they serve the food fast

Favorite Dish: absolutely pancakes with different fillings. Pancakes are extremely big and the fillings are big with lot of sour-cream

OPENED
    sunday-thursday 11:00-01:00, Friday-saturday 11:00-03:00

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• Kompressor: Best pancakes in the world !

by Maeve_81 Written Jun 2, 2004

Amazing !

If you're planning to go there, do NOT have breakfast or diner... you'll soooo full.
    I found them so tasty, someday I'm going back to Tallinn... just for the pancakes!

You can go :
    every weekday from 11 am till 11 pm
    in the weekend from 11 am till 02 am

Instant Answers: Tallinn

Comments

Hotels Near Kompressor
4.5 out of 5 stars