Pedicab, Tallinn

Know about this? Rate It!

Another driver's pedicab
    by grandmaR
    Looking out the other side
    Bicycle food vendor
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Pedicab

by grandmaR Updated Aug 12, 2009

The back of our pedicab driver

I saw a guy with a pedicab - he had a recumbent trike with a space for two people in the back. So I want over to enquire.

He said for 350 kronor ($35) we could do an hour tour for the two of us. Sounded good to me. I told him the places we wanted to go and that I wanted to end up back where the shuttle bus was. He said he could do that.

The pedicab guide showed us the characteristics of the buildings, and explained which towers and buildings and parts of the city wall were original, and which were reconstructed. He explained that there was a black banner on the top of the flagpoles which was because this was a day of mourning for the 900 families that were shipping off to Siberia by the Russians. He told us about the Pub with No Name which had no name because an Irishman who couldn't speak any Estonian set the pub up and couldn't think of an Estonian name for it.

Since we were in the lower town when we got the pedicab, he had to take us up to the upper town to Toompea where the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was. This was a lot of work for him and he had to stop talking and just pedal as hard as he could to get up there. Even though it was still quite cold, he was shedding coats and sweaters. He had to resort to tacking across the hill finally to get up to the top.

From there we went through some narrow streets to the overlook where Toompea Castle was. On the way out he showed us where we would have come up the stairs if we had done the walk on foot.

We came down to St. Olav's which was the typical church with a tall tower which had a steep pointed roof. We passed Fat Margaret, but did not get to visit the Maritime Museum. We also passed some demonstration gardens that were an aftermath of the local flower show including a topiary section.

Right near Fat Margaret was the Estonia Ferry Disaster Memorial commemorating 852 people who lost their lives.

As the hour was up the guide gave us each a commemorative Estonian coin and I gave him a mixture of US and Estonian money which he said equaled 350 kronor.

• Cruise