Taxis, Tallinn

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxi to and from the Tallinn Coach Station
    Taxi to and from the Tallinn Coach...
    by LoriPori
  • Taxis
    by easterntrekker
    A Tulika Takso taxi in Tallinn
    by SWFC_Fan
  • LoriPori's Profile Photo

TALLINN TAXIS

by LoriPori Written Jun 23, 2014

We used TALLINN TAXIS twice. The first time was from Tallinn Coach Station when we arrived by bus from Riga. We had prepaid to Lux Express 6,50 Euros and had our vouchers in hand. The voucher was good for Zone 1, City center and to use the Tallink Takso "red" Taxi. When we approached the taxi, the driver was hesitant to accept the voucher, but when he called in, he found that it was O.K. So he drove us close to our hotel and the meter read 5,90 Euros.
    Returning, the hotel arranged a taxi for us, picking us up a short distance away at the end of the street, as there was no traffic allowed on our street. He took us to the Tallinn Coach Station. Right away I noticed that he had no meter running. So, when we got there, he wanted 8 Euros. I told him "no" and handed him 7 Euros, which was more than fair, as we didn't even have any large luggage.

Taxi to and from the Tallinn Coach Station

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Check the cab color

by easterntrekker Written Jan 9, 2014

Sept 23

Taxi to airport
    We took the taxi outside our hotel , a white cab ...a little cheaper than the yellow ones ...but neither are very expensive. cost 8 euro to the airport...about a 15-20 minute ride

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Tulika Takso taxis

by SWFC_Fan Updated Apr 29, 2011

I'm always conscious of being fleeced by unscrupulous taxi drivers when I'm in a foreign city. Wherever I am going, my guidebook will invariably carry a warning about unsuspecting tourists being overcharged or taken on unnecessarily long and indirect journeys while the meter ticks away.

So, it's nice to be able to find a reliable and good value taxi company. With this in mind, I am happy to recommend Tulika Takso, the taxi company that we used throughout our stay in Tallinn in April 2011.

We first used Tulika Takso for our journey from the airport to our hotel. Standing outside the arrivals hall and viewing the dozens of different taxis waiting to pick up new arrivals, I realised that I had no idea which were reputable and which were not. I knew enough to ignore the flashy black Mercedes at the front of the queue with no fare list displayed in its window.

A quick skim through my "Tallinn In Your Pocket" guide confirmed that taxis should display a list of fares in their window. With this in mind, we walked along the queue of waiting vehicles comparing the different rates (generally displayed in the back window on the passenger side of the vehicle). There were at least half a dozen different companies' taxis in the queue, but the cheapest that we found was Tulika Takso with starting fares of 2.88 Euros and 0.55 Euros per kilometre thereafter until 11pm and 0.70 Euros per kilometre between 11pm and 6am. Some of the other companies had starting fares of 3.50 Euros and 0.70 Euros per kilometre.

Our journey from the airport to City Hotel Portus near Tallinn's port cost just 5.68 Euros, with no additional charge for putting our luggage in the boot. Our driver was friendly, spoke English and drove us directly to where we wanted to go. This proved to be the same for all the other journeys we took with Tulika Takso. We caught taxis to both Stroomi and Pirita out-of-town beaches (each journey costing between 6 and 7 Euros) and again for our return journey to the airport.

Tulika Takso's taxis are white with a yellow and black logo on the side, along with the company's name. (See main photo accompanying this tip).

I can't guarantee that Tulika Takso are the cheapest taxi company in Tallinn; the above information merely reflects my own experiences and observations while I was there. Out of curiosity, I occasionally glanced at the fare tables when passing taxis in Tallinn and never saw any that were lower than Tulika's rates. Their fares are certainly very competitive and the service that we received was excellent, so I am more than happy to recommend them.

A Tulika Takso taxi in Tallinn Taxis near Tallinn's port

• Taxi warning

by socheid Updated Jun 14, 2010

Beware with Tallinn taxis as some of them seem to have a pretty clever rip off scam.

While Tallinn is a much more expensive place now Estonia is in the EU, it is still less expensive a place than Western Europe. I thus found it a bit surprising to be stung with a 100 EEK tab for a can journey of barely 1 km. I asked the driver about this and he printed off a receipt to back up his bill.

I asked in my hotel about this and was told what some of them do is rather than bill by distance travelled, they aren#t taxis in the conventional since and actually operate as hire cars billable by the minute. Rates are very expensive, hence the 100 EEK for a 2 minute journey.

I suggest that you ask about at the place where you stay.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Taxis

by antistar Updated Dec 22, 2008

Taxis in Tallinn are better than some places in Europe, but you are still better off calling for one from a trusted operator. Picking up a taxi in places like the airport, train station and ferry port is probably the most likely way of being overcharged, but sometimes this is unavoidable. Tallinn is small, so you probably won't get fleeced.

One taxi company that was recommended to me by a local, and was quick to arrive, friendly and cheap was:

I.R. Takso

Telephone: +37 26380000

But you can find a list of officially registered Tallinn taxi companies at the link below.

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Taxso

by boltonian Written Jan 3, 2008

Taxi rides in any Eastern European country can be a real gamble.

Tallinn is no different, but you can easily ensure that you do not get ripped off.

There is little need to use a Taxi in Tallinn, other than to and from the airport. This trip should be approx 100 EEK one way.

When we arrived it cost us 250 EEK to old town. On the way back, 96 EEK.

We had been ripped off on the way in.

Each taxi (Taxso) has a yellow sticker in the window that states the start fare, and the amount per KM.
    There is also a charter that states...

"Customers are entitiled to ask the driver the approx fare before journey commences"

"At the end of the journey, customer is entitled to get a printed receipt of the journey and the cost"

"The meter must be used. If not, the customer is entitled to a free ride"

This means that the law is on your side.

If you get charged too much and the meter IS used (dodgy meter), get the print out and report him to the police. If no meter is used, refuse to pay.

I find most drivers in Tallinn to be honest and very nice people. (Unlike Budapest)

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

Logo - a good, cheap and reasonable taxi company

by WanderingFinn Written Apr 23, 2007

I have visited Tallinn, Estonia's capital dozens of times and I always trusted more an Estonian taxi company; first of all they spoke Finnish (not all of them) and some of them English. I thought that not speaking Russian would make the trip much more costly as I wouldn't have a common language (hands only) with the driver and he can take practically anything.

Then, due to the fact that I was living in a very good Russian-run hotel/hostel, and needed a taxi, they ordered it. Of course they use Russian taxi drivers and companies. I jumped in to the car and said the very few Russian words I could, and said that the trip shouldn't cost more than this-and-this, that I have been there before. He believed and obeyed me, and was very happy of my few Russian words.

I ended up paying actually much less than for the Estonian companies always waiting for customers in the ferry terminal. Next time I asked someone to call me the same company - and again I paid only some 70+ Estonian crowns from harbour/terminal area to many kilometres away out of Tallinn centre and old town. Estonians often take 100 even if they just turn around.

I had no trouble with the Russians, just the opposite, and I will use them in future too.

The name of this taxi company was LOGO taxi.

• ape_huva's Profile Photo

Taxis in Tallinn

by ape_huva Written Aug 28, 2006

I've read bad experiences about getting taxis in Tallinn. I have to say I was lucky and didn't feel mislead. The driver went straight to the hotel (on the other side of the old town) from the port and cost me 80 EEK. It was the same price from the hotel to the port when we left, with a different company.

Very proffesional and safe.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Taxi

by Gili_S Written Dec 24, 2004

Taxi is relatively cheap in Tallinn but, even the local people complains sometimes when the drivers trying to make some extra money on them, so be careful when use a taxi, maybe it is better to agree on the price before you actually taking the ride.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Taxi

by grandmaR Written Jul 18, 2009

One of the few vehicles that can get around old town is a taxi. I have not used any taxis, but I did see them.

Taxi door Taxi outside Alex N. Cathedral Taxi stand on the street checkerboard taxi
    • Business Travel
    • Disabilities

• Taxi in Tallinn

by Sergo77 Updated Nov 13, 2005

The best way to get cheap taxi to make order by phone. I could recommend Roy Takso in Tallinn.Then you use this taxi you get good service for low price.The price per 1 km is 5.50 EEK.

• Study Abroad