Building of government of Ida-Virumaa county is situated on Central Square(Keskväljak) just in centre of the town. Johvi has a status of "capital" of Ida-Virumaa.
This building was built in times of Soviets and is one of examples of Soviet archtecture.
Locals call it "Grey house". It is grey with brown and red roof with clock tower:)) interesting and has nice interior, if somebody can enter here...
Tsentraal is the one of the newest modern buildings in centre of the town.The first part of it was finished in 2002. The second (back-) part of Tsentraal was finished in autumn 2003.
Before there stood theathre of "Tuuleveski" what was built at time of Soviets. And it wasnt nice building in the centre of town.
A fortified church with an unusual design. A gunpowder cellar (now a chapel and a musem) under the choir; in the Middle Ages, a secret passage led from the cellar to the fort at Edise. Altar painting “The Ascension of Christ” (Ernst von Liphardt, 1900), images on the triumphal arch, pulpit (Johann Valentin Rabe, 1728), two organs.
On the picture you can see beauty salon called E' Jenny. It is one of newest one in the town. This building was rebuilt and became more nice and modern.
At the back you can see red building. It was built at the time of Soviets and always it was school-youth centre, where youngs can create band, study to play or paint etc.
Tsentraal is the largest shopping-business centre in the town and the whole Ida-Virumaa county. Tsentraal is situated on the side of the Central square(Keskväljak).
This building looks pretty modern and makes centre of Johvi more nice.
In 2005 (2004) government of the town decided to underbuild this new central square. They decided to make here square with underground car park. And so was done. In summer 2005 new modern square was finished. Under the square car park and some shops and pizza bar are situated.
The one of the most interesting places in Johvi what you must visit is the Mihkli(St. Michael) church-stronghold what was founded in 13-14. century and is the one of the greatest examples of Estonian old church architecture.
There is a museum what consists of old rooms in church`s underground. There are great underground passes, things what speeks about thoose time.
Some year ago this square was a NEW square. Just new becouse it was underbuilt and new tile coat was done here (about in 2003). It looked red - and the square got "new name" - so called Red square.
...But in year 2005 government of the town decided to destroy this square and...
Uhispank is one of the first modern buildings in Johvi built here after the fall of Soviet Union. It was built about in mid of 90's - at the time when Estonian banks (based mostly on Swedish capital) became powerful.
At the time of USSR ugly 1-floor brown coloured building of some shop stayed on this place.
Johvi has the newest concert hall in Estonia. It was opened in 2005. There are two halls, one seating 922 and second has seating places for 170 people. Halls have been furnished with modern equipment. It is considered, hall has the best acoustics in the state. Of course it is a state class/level concert hall in Estonia with Tartu's Vanemuine or Tallinn's "Estonia" theathre.
Building of regional judgement stands in the centre of the town.
It looks like a palace - nice white-grey colour building. Frontal side of it has classical style. Ahead the main entrance massive columns stand.
At Soviet time military cultural centre located in this building.
Orthodox church in Johvi locates in the centre of a town just opposite the Tsentraal and main square. Church was created in 1895, built of granite.
The temple was a first "working" place of Russian patriarch Alexius II.
There is 39 objects that are over heritage protection - iconostasis, icons, bells etc.
Jõhvi is surrounded by artifical mountains - spoil tips. Spoil tips grew in Johvi surroundings in result of minning. This mines were closed more then 20 years ago. Some of mountains are older - 30 years old and they are covered by trees and forests. They are interesting places for climbing up, hiking and looking nice panoramas.
Back side of the church - there are two houses, where priest lives. In the back side of the church is a entrance to the museum.