House of the Brotherhood of Blackheads, Tallinn County
the estonian brotherhood of the black heads was established in 1399. it was composed of unmarried merchants and ship owners. they named their brotherhood after the african christian martyr st. mauritius. they were responsible for the decoration of the dominican monastery and lighting the candles of the altar of st. mary. not open to the public
It is probably the only preserved Renaissance building in Tallin. The Brotherhood of Black Heads was an association of young unmarried merchants before they were accepted into the Great Guild.
The richly decorated frontage is really impressive.
Built by the Brotherhood of Blackheads in 1399 The House of the Brotherhood of Blackheads is the only fully preserved Renaissance building in Tallinn.
The name of the Brotherhood came from their patron black St. Mauritius> aChristian martyr who died in Switzerland circa 300 A.D.
Tallinn’s most eye-catching door on the front of this building dates to 1640.
This was a guild of young unmarried merchants who played a mjor role in the life of medievil tallinn as they organised tournements got involved in poltics and helped with organising the defence of Tallinn. The guild name came about because their patron was St Mauritius who was dark skinned. This brotherhood was active in Latvia and Estonia and the broherhood left Tallinn the 1940's. The house however still stands and the most eye catching doorway in Tallinn has been on this building since 1640. The house is now used as a consert hall but if there are no scheduled events you are welcome to visit and this is free of charge.